Stand Alone Complex glossary

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Motoko2030

Stand Alone Complex glossary

Post by Motoko2030 »

Does anyone know of any websites that give a list of terms used in SAC, like Image Curtain, Probe virus, Japanese Miracle (featured in SAC 2nd Gig, episode 6) and what these terms mean, if not, do any of you know what these terms means?
MiNaeClem

Post by MiNaeClem »

There was a guy here before whose nick was Slipstream. He was like a glossary and he made a rpg conversion. He axplains everything about gits setting there including your questions. It's on this website in the roleplaying section: www.serenadawn.com
Spica

Re: Stand Alone Complex glossary

Post by Spica »

Motoko2030 wrote:Does anyone know of any websites that give a list of terms used in SAC, like Image Curtain, Probe virus, Japanese Miracle (featured in SAC 2nd Gig, episode 6) and what these terms mean, if not, do any of you know what these terms means?
I know the meanings of most GITS terms.

The Image Curtain is the image that is displayed on the windows of buildings in the GITS universe (think the fish images on the windows at the very begingin of the first movie). It prevents people from evesdropping by both mundain and high tech means (such as heat sensing cameras and electronic probes) and is used to at least temporarily baffle snipers (of course section 9 can easily bypass all but the most sophisticated image curtains).

A probe virus is a virus that you send at an enemy to see if he reacts, kind of like poking something that is probably dead with a stick.

I'm not quite sure what the Japanese Miracle is, but, taken in context, I would assume that it is either some sort of recovery program implemented after World War IV (kind of like the Marshel Plan after WWII) or a program (possibly involving micro-machines) designed to clean up the the residual effects of NBC weapons.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

MiNaeClem wrote:There was a guy here before whose nick was Slipstream. He was like a glossary and he made a rpg conversion. He axplains everything about gits setting there including your questions. It's on this website in the roleplaying section: www.serenadawn.com
Yeah, he knew alot. Someone who send him an email, I'd imagine that that site would have it, and let him know we're back up.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

This is the definition for probe virus that slipstream weote on the site

Probe Virus: This is a violation of the Telecommunications bureau—A virus that attacks every nearby system in a 500 feet in order to find a specific one. However, it only locates something. No attack actions can be incorporated.

In the episode, Missing Hearts; Motoko sent out a probe virus to find the car that the medical students are in and after the virus was sent all of the cars infront of Motoko came to a stand still except the one with the medical students.
Lightice

Re: Stand Alone Complex glossary

Post by Lightice »

Spica wrote: The Image Curtain is the image that is displayed on the windows of buildings in the GITS universe (think the fish images on the windows at the very begingin of the first movie). It prevents people from evesdropping by both mundain and high tech means (such as heat sensing cameras and electronic probes) and is used to at least temporarily baffle snipers (of course section 9 can easily bypass all but the most sophisticated image curtains).

That has always baffled me a bit. One would imagine, that good, metallic blinds would do most of the same effects with less hassle.
I'm not quite sure what the Japanese Miracle is, but, taken in context, I would assume that it is either some sort of recovery program implemented after World War IV (kind of like the Marshel Plan after WWII) or a program (possibly involving micro-machines) designed to clean up the the residual effects of NBC weapons.

It is a cloud of micro-machines, that clean out the radiation from a certain area in a relatively short amount of time. They're not perfect, though, and maximal effect can only be gained, if they are used before the nuclear explosion takes place. They are used twice during the 2nd Gig and mentioned several times, more.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

In the first episode of SAC 2nd Gig, Saito told Motoko that he has neutralized the image curtain, but the terrorists have put blinds up as well, so maybe the blinds that the terrorists covered the windows with are metal blinds.

Post by Guest »

Hey, guys and (maybe but most likely not) gals, I'm here. No one sent me an email...I check back regularly. The image curtain is a cool thing I forgot. I will have to add that. In the time since this site went down, the game went through many changes as I acquired both the Record Log and the two new volumes of 2nd Gig...but thats for a seperate post.

The post on the Japanese Miracle is correct. It was called the Asian miracle in the first season. Its the use of MicroMachines designed by Pioneer Industrial that cleans up radiation after a nuclear blast. It was used in Tokyo after it was struck. Berlin was also struck and considering the speed to which is was rebuilt, it seems likely the Japanese Miracle was used there as well, a gift to their allies. The refference then, being that the use of the word Japanese refers to where it came from and not where it was used.

I will be reposting official dogma that I have acquired....again....soon. :)

Variations of these micromachines clean up pollution in modern metropolitan cities in Japan.
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

apologies...apparently, I wasn't logged....
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Thanks Slipstream for the information on the Japanese Miracle, the Official Log volume 2 will be out on January 24th 2006.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Slipstream wrote:apologies...apparently, I wasn't logged....
lol. I know its spamming but I can't resisit. You always had trouble with that Slipstream.

Welcome back.