Innocense: English Dub?

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i recall gofishpictures.com offering to exchange, by mail, english dub versions for the infamous hearing impaired subs--since there were so many irate people, but they're not making that offer anymore, and frankly, i didn't want to risk never getting the exchange. there was supposed to be an identifier code on the DVD packaging to let us know if it's the updated release....anybody remember?
])R@G()N

Post by ])R@G()N »

I live in London Uk, I have the film on DVD with an english dub. I guess it probably is a uk region DVD but I have 2 DVD players in my house and they are both multiregion arnt most now days? anyways here is the link...

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=456763

thats the shop i got it from, I think they probably deliver overseas. first disk has english and japanese audio in 2.0 and 5.1, a commentry track from the director and subtitles for the audio and comentry. i think disk 2 has the movie with digital theater sound in english and japanese, theres an itnerview and a making of documentry too that are quite good.

One thing i would note, take the scene where they speak to the older lady who smokes a lot, whos doing some sort of 'postmotem' if u like of the doll. In a version with subtitles I have had for a while, that is a place owned by the company who makes the dolls, that woman is looking into why it malfunctioned and talks about a man who boasted he could put human cociousness into a doll. In the english dub version of the film, that is a forenzic crime lab I think, and she works for the police. she makes no mention of the man who was boasting about the dolls, and infact almost all of the dialog is completely different in the english dub to my subtitles version, and the subtitles on this new dvd are a 3rd set of conversations that again dont always match either the dub or my pervious subtitled version. whole elements of both films I have noticed since are compeltely different in the subtitled version and the english dubs, were talking whole scenes where none of the people talk about anything they were talking about in another version. I like watchin the japanese versions with subtitles myself, the japanese actors sound credable and give the films a real depth with their expression. The american actors sound hammed up, like theyre talking oversiomply to childeren, it kind of soils the vibe of the film for me, makes me feel like I'm watching thundercats.
Míxtil

Post by Míxtil »

Regons exist on games and films and co because of different standart TV types for the zones.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Míxtil wrote:Regons exist on games and films and co because of different standart TV types for the zones.

No, they don't. They exist to control the trade for the benefit of the companies using them. At this day and age, there is no meaningful difference between the standards. I am quite capable of watching Region 1 DVDs with my TV made for European market.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
krylon

Post by krylon »

actually mixtil was right, europe-pal, usa-ntsc. 2 totally different formats. pal is at a lower framerate and resolution if i'm not mistaken. like if you watch a pal disc on a ntsc tv you can really notice the frame collision and lower quality. this is also why there arent many 480p ps2 pal games in eu. its very hard to get true hd quality on a pal system. and you are also correct about them doing it to control the markets.

i just got my uk copy of innocence a week or so ago from amazon.co.uk. its really nice to have the sac voice actors doing the parts.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

I'm aware that NTSC and PAL are different formats, but I have never seen a DVD-player, that couldn't play both just as well and I am also aware, that the strict line between US and European formats no longer applies.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Míxtil

Post by Míxtil »

Lightice wrote:I'm aware that NTSC and PAL are different formats, but I have never seen a DVD-player, that couldn't play both just as well and I am also aware, that the strict line between US and European formats no longer applies.
I know it no longer applies, but that's why they had them in the first place.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Míxtil wrote: I know it no longer applies, but that's why they had them in the first place.

Those formats were created for the same reason the regions were - to control the trade. They didn't exist prior to the DVDs, at least as far as I know.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
krylon

Post by krylon »

pal vhs does not play in a ntsc vhs. its been around for a long time now. ive also had many a dvd player that did not play any region2 at all. multiregion is a rather new thing. they finally came up with a cheaper technology to do the conversions. when multiregions first came out they were expensive just like a dvd player that supports divx. those were pricey at first and now you can get em for like 40$. and honestly most dont come TRUE MULTIREGION out of the box. you have to do some sort hack or menu setup to acheive this. prolly to avoid lawsuit with the mpaa.
Míxtil

Post by Míxtil »

Lightice wrote:
Míxtil wrote: I know it no longer applies, but that's why they had them in the first place.

Those formats were created for the same reason the regions were - to control the trade. They didn't exist prior to the DVDs, at least as far as I know.
But they did exist proir to DVDs.

Pal Famicom=NES.
Snatcher

Post by Snatcher »

])R@G()N I also noticed those errors in translation. I was not very happy with the UK subtitles, but was also amazed at how good the dub was.

I am no expert in Japanese, but have enough knowledge to figure out the main theme and translate form transcriptions.

Lately I've been working on my "definitive edition" of Innocence, since none of the releases made worldwide so far have completely satisfied me. This is because I am a perfectionist, and maybe way too much. The best release so far, for my tastes, was the International Edtion; The video was incredibly good (an average of 7mbps) and the audio in DTS-ES (the best version of the audio of any dvd topping at almost 700mb).. but! It had no subtitles (Just disc 2, which has inferior video and audio (this is way too noticeable)).

So I am making a dvd-9 with the audio and video tracks from that international release, the commentary in 2.0 available elsewhere, the UK dub and a set of subtitles based in the Japanese ones with small changes. I am also including the Japanese subtitles and a track made by myself that documents all the quotes (just the sources) and small trivia here and there. Of course the target is not to reencode a single track, and lose no quality at all.

The point of my post here is to tell you I've dug deep into all the versions of the subtitles (US, Japanese, UK and Chinese version), the original and the final scripts in Japanese (from the Box that had them) and the UK one. This last one has proven to be the most disparate from the rest and to the original Japanese dialogue.

At first I was modifying little details here and there, for instance when Aramaki asks Batou "You got all that" and Batou, after answering replies:

B: "[...] I get it all except why Section 9 is involved. "

With Aramaki saying:

A: "You get it?"
A: "What you call getting it may be just wishful thinking. "

After reading the original Japanese, I ended up with:

B: "I think I understood everything, except why Section 9 is involved. "

A: "Understand you say?"

B: "Generally we say we understand
solely based in our desire to do so. "

Since they indeed used the word "understand", and felt that something was lost. That is almost the only lpace where I have few doubts, since the subtitles provided by Linda Hoaglund and Judith Aley proved to be incredibly accurate. I only changed the references to Gabu as "him" to "her", and a few other places.

If anyone is interested I can post the srt file later here, which can be use dto encode the sub track to re master the dvd using the tracks form the disc. I also changed the UK dub (the ac3 version, I have no tools to do a dts one) to NTSC and synched it to the High quality Japanese video one, and am inserting the DD6.1 track in the places where just music is heard in order to maintain the pitch for the music (it is the only thing that is noticeable). If anyone else needs instructions to do this (the actual values I used) I can provide them as well.
孤独に歩め、悪をなさず
求めるところは少なく
林の中の象のように
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

I dont feel like scrolling through what I've missed ;_;

Could anyone tell me if there is any news of a R1 realse of the Innocence dub.