What is the most emotional anime in history?

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Millenium Actress had me on the verge of tears almost from start to finish. It was the desperation of the main character and how close she kept coming... And then the inevitable years that passed and the sad truth she didn't know. And it even had an uplifting ending; not "happy" happy and not depressing either, but just a natural and peaceful one. The film had everything I ever need or want to see in the perfect film. The visuals can move you to the core.

After that I'd say Ghost in the Shell (like a lot of people), that felt moving as though it were your own spiritual journey. At least, to a fifteen year old me at the time it perfectly encapsulated the mindset I was in at the time and everything that I was yearning for... it gave it words and images and a mood, and therefore that affected me very deeply and moved me. I expect that is what Evangelion is doing for others...

Goshogun the Time Etranger is a little bit basic compared to those, but that moved me so much with it's message of being strong, maintaining hope, fighting to have the strength within yourself to... well... be something grand- a person who defines their own rules and fate. And it had such a touching warmth to it too, the way the main character looks at her friends, looks at her life... Remy is so inspiring as a heroine- what she does get to do is largely symbolic, but it's her attitude. She was the most, "never say die" character that I ever encountered. And the musical score is really rousing. Watch the older English dub- her French accent is so cool and full of personality.

Oh yeah, also Boogiepop Phantom was something I found strangely moving. It was full of messed up people and could be really weird (why did they have to chose neon-coloured spiders for the boy to keep munching down on?), but it had a certain understanding of people to it, unsentimental but warm. A bit like Lain, but maybe more "real" somehow. It surprised me occassionally with it's judgement of some of the characters (what they had to say about the poor girl who was trying to become Paneru was incredibly harsh and brutal), but it made me think a lot about myself and question what "living a good existence" is in a different way from normal.

And you may have known I was going to say this, but I think that there's at least one or two episodes of Sailor Moon that really make me get a bit choked-up... The death of Nephrite in the first season was just sooo sad. I still want to cry if I watch it- "But you promised! You promised we'd go and eat chocolate parfait together!" Poor, poor girl... It's the expressions on the senshi's faces as they watch on that really do it to me tough. Can you just imagine? All the little girls who watched that when it first aired must have been inconsolable, and probably went off to school really depressed...
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
My vote for most emotional anime is Grave of the Fireflies. Without giving too much away I'll just say it made me both really angry and really sad all at the same time.

That's what my vote was on. Grave of the Fireflies, or Jin-Roh.
Jin-Roh actually made me cry. :( .....

marto_motoko
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

The Full Metal Alchemist Episode "Night of the Chimeras Cry" was so sad. That face at the in the alley was to much for me.

The final episode of "Cowboy Bebop" was very sad til the very end. Then it got funny

Witch Hunter Robin had some sad moments in it.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

I should also add I cried a lot when a certain someone died in gankutsuou.
geckochan

Post by geckochan »

Hmm...some movies with moments I find really affecting are Nausicaa, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Mind Game, Ghost in the Shell, Voices of a Distant Star (and it's accompanying short, She and Her Cat, which was mentioned by someone else), Princess Arete, and even the extremely old-school Queen Millenia.
For series, Kino no Tabi, Lain, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Utena, Haibane Renmei, Wolf's Rain.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

It's been a while since I last replied to this, so I think I've had a few additions.

My first is still
Jin-Roh . A sad tragedy, two lovers, one of which can never truly understand what it's like to be human. The movie is something that I have a hard time watching, and for the few times I have seen it, has never dissapointed me in the gut-feeling it gave me. You know, the one that leads to tears, which also make their appearance by the final scene.

Millenium Acress , which is one that I just watched for the second time, without having any friends around. No need to say anything, since Sylphi allready said what needed to be said.

Voices of a Distant Star Cried at it as well. Beautiful, short love story, that spans over time and space.

O_o I'm a pantsy! (however you spell that) I cry too much...

mm
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

if you take the word "emotional" it doesn't have to mean sad.
Full Metal runs the gauntlet of emotions. The last 3 episodes were extremely sad. The devotion the brothers have for each other, their willingness to die for the others survival is heartbreaking. The unrequited love that winny has for ed. al's blind faith in humanity. It's very well thought out and written. You can believe that the caractors really care about each other.

I was so happy to see what happened at the end of shambala. It would have been wrong to end it any other way.

Also the true Mustang shows up which was really a surprise.
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

i havent seen any properly emoional anime.. .but the end of the cowboy bebop series made me sad.. :(
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

mrtodd wrote:i havent seen any properly emoional anime.. .but the end of the cowboy bebop series made me sad.. :(
Hey that counts. ^_^
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

yay! but still :( for cowboy bebop..

oh and samurai champloo too... but mainly because i was just sad that the series was ending...
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

mrtodd wrote:yay! but still :( for cowboy bebop..

oh and samurai champloo too... but mainly because i was just sad that the series was ending...
Also, you have to be aware that there are individuals that simply aren't as moved by movies/cartoons/anime/etc as some are. I, personally, cried even when Godzilla died. :lol:

As for Samurai Champloo, I did cry at the end, simply because I was so involved with the development of the characters, that seeing them turn their backs to each other was a little bit saddening. It's sad to think of how one must feel to say goodbye forever to two extremely good friends. :( It's like losing family (that is, if you care about your family).

mm
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

marto_motoko wrote:
mrtodd wrote:yay! but still :( for cowboy bebop..

Also, you have to be aware that there are individuals that simply aren't as moved by movies/cartoons/anime/etc as some are. I, personally, cried even when Godzilla died. :lol:

As for Samurai Champloo, I did cry at the end, simply because I was so involved with the development of the characters, that seeing them turn their backs to each other was a little bit saddening. It's sad to think of how one must feel to say goodbye forever to two extremely good friends. :( It's like losing family (that is, if you care about your family).

mm
Godzillas death was sad. He seemed so confussed. But I was glad the whimpy scientist got boiled away.
Bambi vs. Godzilla was sad too. I cried for days LMAO
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Epiphany wrote: Bambi vs. Godzilla was sad too. I cried for days LMAO
O_o'......*majorly confused* What's that? ( I'm sure I'll regret asking) :lol:

mm
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

its just a little cartoon short. explaining it would be a spoiler. you have to see it. LOL
FainaruFantaji

Post by FainaruFantaji »

Ghost in the Shell [both movies, S.A.C., S.A.C. 2nd GiG, Solid State Society]
I rewatch some of the episodes from time to time up until now, GITS is one of those series you can`t just watch and forget. It got into my soul, it made my blood boil and so on.. In one of the episodes I even ended up crying.

Madlax... I have a revolver for self defense... After every single Madlax`s episode I held my revolver in my arms whispering all sorts of strange stuff like that I want to fight, I want to take my gun and kill.