in the shell Forum Index in the shell
Discussions about the many incarnations of Ghost in the Shell, philosophy and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gunslinger Girl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gillsing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Gunslinger Girl Reply with quote

I couldn't very well recommend it in the "Anime Classics" thread, even though I really wanted to. Because it's probably not a classic yet, and it's not a movie but a series of 13 episodes. But it's great stuff. Kind of what Motoko Kusanagi's childhood could've been like in an alternative reality. A much less technologically advanced reality, where little cybergirls are always messed up in some way. But the whole anti-terrorist agency thing is there, so it's not quite as frivolous as one might think. Yeah, it should definitely be considered a classic if it isn't already. Cool
simon's ghost

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'd thank the spambot for bumping the topic back up because I really loved that mini-series. it has decent character development and a twisted take on the mentor-student relationship. its stylish-but-sober graphic design and animation style really creates an immersive setting.

Confused also, I really wonder why some critics called it a washed down version of "Noir", which has very little if anything to do with "Gunslinger Girls".
mrtodd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked this series although i'm not a big fan of short series' just because of the way that they are priced...... usually the same amount for a 13 episode as a 24 or 26... which is kinda boring..

But yeh back to the Series' I kinda found it a little difficult to watch at first as you know its little Girls with guns... although yes they are now classed as cyborgs or what ever it just seems a little un nerving not that i didnt like the series'....

it just might make you look even more weird than you did before... Razz
Locke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrtodd wrote:
I quite liked this series although i'm not a big fan of short series' just because of the way that they are priced...... usually the same amount for a 13 episode as a 24 or 26... which is kinda boring..

I saw the full series on one disk for $20.00, though I have the original boxed set.
Freitag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locke wrote:
mrtodd wrote:

I saw the full series on one disk for $20.00, though I have the original boxed set.

I had a friend give a favorable review of this. Where'd you see it for that price.

I like some of the smaller series while I'm waiting for some main thing to keep coming in week after week. I watched Rocket Girls from a sub site before it was available here. It was campy and suffered from the traditional "kids make better pilots/engineers/whatnot than do fully educated and trained adults" that so many anime do these days, but it was fun and not creepy.
I showed it to my nephews, but they couldn't get over the fact that it was a 'girl movie' (they are at the age where anything female has cooties - even if it is just a picture of a girl!)
Locke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freitag wrote:
Where'd you see it for that price.

I saw it at my local anime convention last year. It came as a huge shock to me. I guess the series isn't exactly flying off the shelves.
M4nu3l

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're priced that way, for the dubbing company to make money off it's 'cult' status. They know what they're doing. I bought two versions, one for me and one for my sister, who enjoyed it as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    in the shell Forum Index -> Anime All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: