Ghost in the Shell VS. Innocence

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

Which do you prefer?

Ghost in the Shell
58%
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
42%

Total votes: 33

Míxtil

Ghost in the Shell VS. Innocence

Post by Míxtil »

Which do you think is better?
Hideo Kuze

Post by Hideo Kuze »

A hard question for me, I liked both actually.

The differences in personality in Motoko and Batou make both interesting movies, the fact that both have different approaches to a lot of things make it an interesting question.

The different scenarios but general idea of what goes on in both also make it a difficult decision.

However, I think when it comes to a head. I believe GitS was better. That is my opinion though.
Rc2000

Post by Rc2000 »

Both are awesome works, but I'd have to go with the first.

Rc

Post by Míxtil »

I think Innocence was better, as I came in from SAC first. The first film seemed too short, sped by, and the art just looked old. Plus, the concepts in Innocence where more interesting I thought.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

and the art just looked old
Which is why I go with the first movie, ironically. I love anime movies with that old, kinda classic look and feel.

To me Ghost in the Shell's combination of older style art direction, music, and Oshii's own way of making the manga into the movie makes it better than Innocence.

Innocence is a feast for the eyes, it truely is a beautiful marvel. However its hard to read su-- I mean captions and enjoy the art at the same time.
Míxtil

Post by Míxtil »

I don't have the captioned version, I have the english re-dub, so it must be a better exprience for me.
I know that the old art style is nice, and i'm a fan myself, but it just didn't seem to fit something so futuristic and modern.
davidtobin100

Post by davidtobin100 »

Just got, watched and been amazed by Innocence this evening. It's better than anything GITS I have seen. Just gonna break down my thoughts here:

Theme:
I loved it because I studies lit, religion and especially philosophy in college - I think it may be a little too dense for those without some background reading on the areas quoted. However even without that side to it the theme is more than "follow-able" to the average joe, it's just the complexities that aren't immediately obvious. In my mind I see that as a better type of movie - it encourages repeat viewing and different people leave the movie with different takes on it.

Charachter:
Batou is a much richer charachter than the Major was in the first movie. The bassett hound really does add a broader sense of who he is and makes his humanity all the more resonant (as mentioned in the liner notes). I loved the fact that he picked a "high-maintence" dog, he needs a sense of belonging and the more he fusses the more busier (and therefore more unaware) he is of his simple life.

Visuals/Sound:
All top notch - a great DVD transfer and an excellent dub. No fault at all.

Looking forward to watching the movie again tomorrow evening!! =D
Spica

Post by Spica »

How could anyone vote for Innocence over the original movie, it is in no way superior. The first movie had a much better story, better animation (despite it being eight or nine years older), and it focused on Motoko (she is the main character of Ghost in the Shell after all). None of you seem to have noticed, but its Innocence that had the freaky, ugly at times animation and the original that had Production I.G.'s beautiful, photorealistic, classic animation that they did away with after Jin-Roh.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
ghost

Post by ghost »

Spica wrote:How could anyone vote for Innocence over the original movie, it is in no way superior. The first movie had a much better story, better animation (despite it being eight or nine years older), and it focused on Motoko (she is the main character of Ghost in the Shell after all). None of you seem to have noticed, but its Innocence that had the freaky, ugly at times animation and the original that had Production I.G.'s beautiful, photorealistic, classic animation that they did away with after Jin-Roh.
Here,Here :) my thought exsactly, how can the second even try to match upto the first, both in story, and animation. It is far and away the better of the two. And beside what was the point of the second? Just becouse they call it ghost in the shell dosn't mean it realy is! I mean if you take away the charactors in it, it's just not a ghost in the shell story line at all. :evil: Don't get me wroung it was good, but it just didn't have the same story the first one did. :cry:
davidtobin100

Post by davidtobin100 »

Hey - everyone has an opinion. :D
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Although I agree with Spica, you can't deny Innocence's amazing beauty with its mix of CG.
Míxtil

Post by Míxtil »

Innocence was the first film I ever saw where I couldn't tell the CG from the 2D.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Míxtil wrote:Innocence was the first film I ever saw where I couldn't tell the CG from the 2D.
Which is kinda bad. My complaint: It was so obviouse, where the 2D and where the 3D is, that it makes it all look out of place.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I liked Innocence for its art style, mixing 2D with CGI but my vote is for the first Ghost in the Shell film since it is all about Major Motoko Kusanagi, the art style is outstanding and it was the very first Anime film that I ever watched.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

I like the themes of the second movie better. I'm also a Batou fangirl, so that's another reason I like Innocence better. Also, and this is my opinion, I thought that at a lot of points the original was very ugly. Motoko is not a pretty character. I thought that Innocence, in terms of pure visual style, was a lot better than the original Ghost in the Shell. Again this is just my opinion.