stand alone complex: has any one notisted the similaritys

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

ghost

stand alone complex: has any one notisted the similaritys

Post by ghost »

has any one notisted the similaritys between the movie Ghost In The Shell
and stand alone complex. Like the episode with the run away tank in stand alone complex. And the end fight seen in the movie I could go on to mention more but that would make it cind of hard to get any real answers.
So has any one ells notised it or is it just me
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

It is generally known that Kenji Kamiyama used elements from the manga and movie in his epsiodes. There are tons of similarities, a real Ghost in the Shell fan will experience desa vu watching Stand Alone Complex. Its really pretty cool to be watching an episode and have it hit you, "Hey, I remember that from the movie!"
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I have also noticed the similarities between SAC and the mangas and the first film, I have seen scenes in the manga that look the very same in SAC and there are also references to other foreign films, especially French films.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Motoko2030 wrote:I have also noticed the similarities between SAC and the mangas and the first film, I have seen scenes in the manga that look the very same in SAC and there are also references to other foreign films, especially French films.
Never knew the French film references, not a big fan of the French culture. But I do remember the striking similarities between Ocean's Eleven and the episode Cash Eye!
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Episode 3 of the first season of SAC, which involved the Jeri androids featured Alphaville, a French sci-fi classic by Jean-Luc Godard, A Bout de Souffle, is also by Godard and Marshall McLuhan's Jeri android is supposed to look like Jean Seberg, a French actress.

The wallpaper on the computer in the Togusa's house is of Charlie Chapin.

There are also references to the Catcher in the Rye novel.
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

It would stand to reason that the series would have similarities from the movie because the series came after the movie so the movie probably inspired the series in some way. Look at all movie based series. I'm not trying to be mean so please don't take it that way.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
ghost

Post by ghost »

Thanks for all the info, I gesse I 'm not as well informed as I thought.
I didn't even think of the manga being similar to the movie or SAC
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

An excellent website that I found on background information about the episodes of SAC, like similarities, facts, notes is http://www.tv.com/ghost-in-the-shell-st ... guide.html
ghost

Post by ghost »

Motoko2030 wrote:An excellent website that I found on background information about the episodes of SAC, like similarities, facts, notes is http://www.tv.com/ghost-in-the-shell-st ... guide.html
Cool I'll check it out in the near future, thanks for the link.
Hay how do you post links like that? :)
Last edited by ghost on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Motoko2030 wrote:Episode 3 of the first season of SAC, which involved the Jeri androids featured Alphaville, a French sci-fi classic by Jean-Luc Godard, A Bout de Souffle, is also by Godard and Marshall McLuhan's Jeri android is supposed to look like Jean Seberg, a French actress.
I confirm :P , except that Jean was american, not french (even though she lived a long time in France).
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

cowboyfunk22

Post by cowboyfunk22 »

I think director mentions that they ended up using similar shots of Major Kusanagi jumping off of buildings/out of windows to the ones seen in the movie. They wanted to emphasize her vertical movement as opposed to the natural horizontal movements humans make and our eyes have evolved to follow.

Ghost in the Shell and GITS SAC had this type of movement vertical movement in their first scenes. There was also a window jump in very similar to Ghost in the Shell in the first episode of GITS: SAC 2ng gig. The directors saw it as an important part of Kusanagi's character, so they both ended up reproducing in similar ways.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

I wouldn't say I'm "anti-french". I have nothing against french people, I just don't enjoy (not hate) the french culture. The music, fashion, just the overall structure and feel. I wouldn't mind, say, taking a vacation to Paris. I would just much, much rather go to Tokyo. Its my personal taste, not because I'm American.

Sorry, off topic..
cowboyfunk22

Post by cowboyfunk22 »

It's not unique to as that she is the only character capable of doing it, but she is often the only one seen moving in this way. She is the focus of a world where this type of movement is possible for humans. Both directors thus found it important for her to represent this.

So in a sense it was made to be part of character. I never initially considered it, but directors often use a level of characterization that is hardly ever noticed by the people watching it (similar to subtext).

Off the top of my head i can only think of one other character in the show that has moved this way. From what read in an unfortunate spoiler, it doesn't seem to be an accident by any means.

The Director interview is on the first volume of GITS: SAC in the extras.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Kenji Kamiyama I think, said he was a big Ocean's Eleven fan, and used it as an example for the 2nd gig opening.

I read the Manga last, well the first part, so far, but it is sort of surreal in that there are many parts of the series and movies, but they are all jumbled up.

As for France... I understand the England/France big long grrrrrrrrr, I understand the England/America big long grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I never got the America/France grrrrrrrrrr. Um didn't they help us set up the country in the first place. Didnt we help them out with the pesky German problem in the 40's? We should be buddies.

Maybe it is because there is a perception of France valueing intellectualism, and for some reason lots of America seems to be threatened by intellectualism, rednecks are always shouting about the know it all liberals.

And I know everyone hates us because we have been playing bully for uh, what 60-100 years or something. sigh.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

Um excuse me I am an American and I have neve been afraid of intellectuals. In fact I appreciate an intellectual talk. I just think its a little hypocritical of you to complain about being generalized and then making a sweeping generalization.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.