Question about Episode 17, 2nd Gig

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Math

Question about Episode 17, 2nd Gig

Post by Math »

Hey, question - I found this on wiki while looking up Gits stuff - they have a LOT of dat by the way..

"In Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG Episode 17 "DI Mother and Child - RED DATA," having taken a teenage male to a hotel after rescuing him from several yakuza, Motoko exits from a shower wearing nothing except panties and a towel draped around her neck which covers her chest. After conversing with the boy, both share the same bed for the night, with Motoko removing her towel before getting into bed. The boy asks Motoko if cyborgs can still have sex, to which Motoko responds by turning to face the boy, her chest still covered by a blanket, and asks, "Do you want to find out?" After this line, the scene unfolds with slight differences, depending on which version of the show one is viewing. In the American version, the boy replies, "Maybe some other time." Motoko then chuckles to herself, turns her back to the boy, and appears to sleep. In the original Japanese version, the boy simply responds, "Nah." Motoko says nothing, and while still facing the boy, puts her head on her hand with an almost dejected, but amused look on her face as the screen fades to black. The scene is sexually suggestive throughout, and while it can be argued that Motoko is using her sexuality to gain the boy's trust, there was nothing to have been gained by allowing herself to be endeared to a boy who was, at the time, attempting to form a drug gang to rival the yakuza from which he had been rescued."

Is it true that there are two different endings to the boy's question and can anybody find it?
"You do remmber your role as my SUIT I hope."
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i'll agree this was an unusual episode...and it caused some contoversy discussed on this board a while back.... I personally don't know much about the other versions of this episode.

I think motoko had only bothered to ask the kid because she already knew the answer. Here was a young kid living the life of an adult, yet was really not quite ready to do all the things asults do. i think she was in a bizarre way, reminding him of his adolesence. And has for her comfort-level with being nude around said kid...i think it has to do with the fact that she is cyberized. In White Maze, the third novel, Kusanagi lets a gangster know its fine with her if he sees her naked because its only a standard model body...she places no value on her cyberbody. I wonder why she doesn't have her body made to appear as it does in SAC when she's represented on the net...i wonder if that is what she would really look like if she hadn't been in the plane crash.

anyhow, just some thoughts not really relating to the thread....sorry.