Stand Alone Complex: THe Laughing man now out

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

H-street

Stand Alone Complex: THe Laughing man now out

Post by H-street »

i got this in my email this morning

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/detail.asp?dvdno=27597

i'm gonna try and stop by bestbuy tomorrow and see if they have it
(their website says they'll have it in stock)

deepdiscount has it for 15$ shipped

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct ... d=21835526
Purifying Flame of Justic
Location: The Outer Plane of Xatorsika; Pondering upon my own existence, what path in life shall I embark on?

Post by Purifying Flame of Justic »

Did you pick it up, was it any good?
"It is terrible to die of thirst on the ocean.
Does your truth have to be so salty that it can no longer even - quench thirst?" Nietzsche
H-street

Post by H-street »

i decided to save 5$ and ordered it from deepdiscountdvd.. it shipped yesterday (10-2) so i should have it by the weekend..

i'll drop in and let you know..

i'm most interested in the extra scene's that were added (at least there was extra added in the japanese version)..
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I picked this DVD up and I am sad to say that they have hired new English actors to do the voices of the members of Section 9.

The new English cast for the Laughing Man compilation DVD is:

Motoko: Allison Matthews
Aramaki: Russell Roberts
Batou: David Kaye
Togusa: Trevor Devall
Ishikawa: John Payne
Saito: Brian Drummond
Paz: John Murphy
Boma: Mark Gibbon

If you prefer the orginal SAC cast doing the English voices then this DVD will upset you.
H-street

Post by H-street »

that is too bad, considering it seems 95% of the movie was done, they would have just had to record any of the additional scenes with the old cast.. (seems like a lot of re-dubbing just for a few scenes)..

but then again maybe the old cast was too busy doing SSS when they where putting this together.
H-street

Post by H-street »

wow tough to watch after having gotten so used to the voices and dialogue from the episodes..

you can definately tell that the old english voice actors had plenty of practice with the "characters" vs these newer voices (eg. batou's humor just isn't delivered well at all)

not to mention there was much more work put in to actually "interpreting" the translation rather than a more literal.

overall the dialog is dry and labored.. (at least compared to the original english cast).. you can tell the lack of emotion and familiarity from the cast..

its like the cast just showed up, was handed a script and read the lines..

not sure if the japanese version is exactly the same, but there is some pretty poor editing too..

overall i'd have to say its not really worth getting like Motoko2030 if you like the original cast/dialog.

just watch the the Laughing man episodes in order or the original with subtitles (at least you get the emotion int he voice that way)..

pretty disappointing (unless you've never seen the episodes, then you may not care)

best example scene is the whole Nanao A / Superintendent-General scene, no emotions in the dialog (not to mention the dialog seemed more "americanized than usual")
Location: The Outer Plane of Xatorsika; Pondering upon my own existence, what path in life shall I embark on?

hmm that's sad concerning the dialog, thanks for sharing it though.
Does your truth have to be so salty that it can no longer even - quench thirst?" Nietzsche
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

man, that is a bummer. i was thinking about getting it...at least to add it to my collection...but i really don't really know if it's really worth it since i already have the first season already.

I'd spend my money on something else, I do not find the thought behind creating this movie positive, why support it with your wallet... I'd say use the money for something else...