Batou's rifle

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

Bushinome

Batou's rifle

Post by Bushinome »

Does anyone know what kind of rifle Batou is using when he's assaulting the ship in Gits: Innocence. In the director's commentary they say it's chambered for .30 caliber rounds but not specifically what make it is. Or is it just some fictional weapon they simply designed out of the blue?

I know that when he clears out the yakuza building he's using an FN Para or is it a MINIMI? Anyway most of the weapons in Gits are real world weapons (perhaps with the exception of Motoko's M-23 Unit B W/High velocity rounds in Gits) so I was just wondering.
Míxtil

Post by Míxtil »

I thought all the weapons in Shirow manga where all made by one fictional company, forget the name...
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I think the name of the fictional weapons company that Shirow uses for all of his weapons is called Seburo, a lot of his manga series uses weapons made by Seburo, series like Appleseed, Ghost in the Shell.
Míxtil

Post by Míxtil »

AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

Just noticed this thread...

Bushinome was right. Batou's rifle is a FN MINIMI modified to take .30 cal (7.62 mm) rounds instead of the usual .223 (5.56 mm) rounds. (.30 caliber ammo would be an improvement from the MINIMI's .223 rounds in terms of inflicting damage at relatively close range.)

Armed forces increasingly use NATO's .30 caliber (7.62 mm) rounds for sniping, long-range firefights, and vehicle-mounted weapons. While soldiers still use this caliber of ammo, its use is in decline among troops who'll have to fight at close range, unless the clip or ammo belt feeds into a mounted or pivoted weapon; the bullets travel far and are great at inflicting damage, but recoil and close-range accuracy can be a problem with a lot of .30 caliber weapons. .223 caliber weapons are becoming more popular in military circles, even though they have similar problems. Still, you can carry and aim a MINIMI or a Para pretty easily, they're lighter than the older weapons, and they're good for short bursts...

Just depends on where the target's standing, and how concentrated you want the fire to be...

Even with its polyamid stock and .223 caliber ammo, the MINIMI has a kick to it, but someone with Batou's body wouldn't have to worry about being knocked backward or losing balance, even when firing the gun continuously in long bursts. He might as well go with .30 caliber rounds.

I think the modification would be along the same lines as Fabrique Nationale de Herstal's Mk 48 Mod 0 variant on the M249 SAW or Para.

(EDIT: The FN Herstal site lists the M249 SAW as the U.S. designation of the MINIMI, so I think my comparison's valid.)

Remember, Seburo is the company from the manga, and the films are different from the manga. As Bushinome said, most of the guns in the films are either real or are variants based on actual weapons. Oshii seems to be a bit of a weapons fan; the director and several members of the Production IG staff fired machines guns in Guam to get a sense of the mechanisms and recoil prior to animating the first film's action sequences.
Last edited by AlphonseVanWorden on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

Man, it's the Guns and Ammo or Soldier of Fortune thread... :lol:

I'm picturing a cosplayer trying to order a MINIMI from FN Herstal's website... "I know you only sell them in bulk to law enforcement agencies, military organizations, and arms dealers, but please, it's important...I just need one...There's a convention coming up..." :lol:
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

AlphonseVanWorden wrote:Man, it's the Guns and Ammo or Soldier of Fortune thread... :lol:

I'm picturing a cosplayer trying to order a MINIMI from FN Herstal's website... "I know you only sell them in bulk to law enforcement agencies, military organizations, and arms dealers, but please, it's important...I just need one...There's a convention coming up..." :lol:
HAHA oh my goodness! I'm imagining it now. :)

And Alphonse you're amazing! I never knew one person could have so much knowledge in them. :) (I'm being serious really)
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

And Alphonse you're amazing! I never knew one person could have so much knowledge in them. Smile (I'm being serious really)
I agree!

Are you sure you arnt a geshtalt, and consist of several tenured professors?
:shock: :D
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bushinome

Post by Bushinome »

Nevermind I found it. According to Wikipedia the weapon he's using on the gynoid factory ship is a FN FNC. Although it fires 5.56mm NATO rounds AlphonseVanWorden could be right being that the film-makers tooks some liberties and had it fire 7.62mm rounds. Anyone who has fired a weapon with 7.62mm rounds knows that they sound distinctively different from 5.56mm rounds. Oshii must be a fan of Fabrique Nationale since many of the rifles he includes in Gits are based on their weapons. Both the FN MINIMI and the FN FNC are in Gits: innocence. Furthermore Motoko's M-23 looks like if was modeled after the FN P90 submachine gun.

Unfortunately I haven't figured out what the pistols are yet. (probably just some generic design done by the artists.)

Although the movies are based in the future it does seem logical that perhaps these real-world companies have further developed their weapons to fire larger calibers. Plus Togusa's Matebor (spelling?) although fictional in model, is based of the actual modern day Matebor revolver.

Maybe in the next GITS Oshii can update the arsenal with some weapons which are currently in the experimental stage or relatively new. An FN F2000 would be cool. Or some H&K weapons would be neat.
Raxon

Post by Raxon »

Some people take a stock weapon and have a gunsmith rechamber it for the round they prefer to use. Though I picture Batou being the type to do this kind of work himself.
These things will all dissapear in time, like tears in the rain. ~ Roy
Decoy

Post by Decoy »

AlphonseVanWorden wrote:"I know you only sell them in bulk to law enforcement agencies, military organizations, and arms dealers, but please, it's important...I just need one...There's a convention coming up..." :lol:
one word: airsoft

www.uncompany.com

You can even get body kits to convert other weapons into Poseidon (Seburo) weapons.
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot further with a smile and a gun." Al Capone
secondhandevil

Hello,My name is Michael and I'm an angry redneck.

Post by secondhandevil »

The M-23, I dont know exactly what weapon youre describing but sometimes militaries rename weapons when they enter their inventories. It could well be a P-90 still.

Mateba is an Italian firearms company I dont know their actual website so,heres this. http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Re ... odel_6.htm

To anyone actually wishing to acquire an FN MINIMI if you live in the US,if it entered the country before may 1986,yes,you can,yes its legal. http://www.impactguns.com/store/machine ... ities.html :lol:

Batao's weapon dosent look as much like an FN-Para to me as it does a GALIL (Although I dont think theres enough room to get you hand around the barrel). I'm looking at the barrel design and the handguard witch could have been modifed,or look differently when translated into Anime.

FNC Image
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as24-e.htm
GALIL Image
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as23-e.htm

EDIT: PICs went missing,will post links instead.

So,ya scared of me yet ?
Last edited by secondhandevil on Wed May 10, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

:evil: :evil: :evil:

:arrow: Hates guns. Doesn't understand a love of guns at all. Thinks that fists, kicks, and at the very least tonfas are much cooler. Guns = for people who aren't hard enough to fight for real. :!:

Gets shot to pieces by uzis for saying this in the gun thread. (And for the record, doesn't really have anything against characters who use guns- won't deprive her gun-toting action figures of their weapons, for instance...).
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Sylphisonic wrote: :arrow: Hates guns. Doesn't understand a love of guns at all. Thinks that fists, kicks, and at the very least tonfas are much cooler. Guns = for people who aren't hard enough to fight for real. :!:
..ahh yes tonfas; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age...

for the most part I agree with you, but on the other hand guns are quite intresting mechanically and they're alot less indiscriminate with targets than the bombs and missiles that have been all the rage recently. Having said that they'll never be as nice as my lovely, shineh sword collection... :)
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

A bit of gun info for you people.

Movie:

M-22: http://www.poseidon.co.jp/5F/9wepon/9wepon_1.html - Used at the end of the GitS1 Movie by Motoko against the tank.

SAC:

Seburo M-5: http://www.poseidon.co.jp/3F/M5/m5_1.html - This appears to be the standard issue pistol for S9. You can see it in use in the beginning of E1S1 (Episode 1 Season 1)

Seburo C-25: http://www.poseidon.co.jp/5F/seburo-c25/c-25a_1.html

Seburo MN-23: http://www.poseidon.co.jp/2F/mn-23/mn1.html

A cross between these two weapons is used in Not Equal, E13S1. The gun appears to have the length and rail of the MN-23 and the grip and clip of the C-25.

Manga:

C-25: See above.

Seburo J-9: http://www.poseidon.co.jp/5F/seburo-j9/j9_1.html - Motoko uses this in the boat assault sequence, and kills a terrorist with it, while being caught on camera.