Production IG is in negotations for a Live Action GitS film

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

M4nu3l

Post by M4nu3l »

It's Hollywood at the helm. Don't get your hopes up, and just wait for it to go straight to bargin bin.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Watchmen turned out OK.

Maybe this will too?
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
M4nu3l

Post by M4nu3l »

Actually Watchmen turned out great. But that's because it was done by NON-hollywood group:

Studio:
Legendary Pictures
DC Comics

although i'll give you, big Hollywood did distribute it.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

The American film studio Dreamworks has hired Shutter Island writer and executive producer Laeta Kalogridis to adapt Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell cyber-police manga. Dreamworks had licensed the rights from Kodansha to make a proposed 3D live-action film last year. Kalogridis was once also hired by James Cameron to script his planned adaptation of Yukito Kishiro's Battle Angel Alita (GUNNM) manga.

Jamie Moss (Street Kings, Last Man Home) had been previously assigned to script the project. Avi Arad (formerly of Marvel Studios as well as of the Spider-Man and X-Men movie franchises), Arad's son Ari, and Seaside Entertainment's Steven Paul brought the project to Dreamworks and will produce.
Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... shell-film

Looks like they already changed the writer. Still don`t know if it`s a good news or a bad one... :roll:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

At least it's proof that something is still in the works! The new writer might be a good thing, as Shutter Island looks to be extremely psychological.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Will it work or won't it - I do wonder. I have no idea who all these people or movies are so it means not a lot to me. Still, interesting that there's still rumours about it floating about.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

One would love to know the details of the license from Kodansha ... if there's a time limit, it seems possible Dreamworks will run out of time, given they're only at the adaptation stage.

One wonders also what sort of nothing has being going on for a year and a half. Did the old writer get half of it done? None? Almost all?
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

It's probably been drafted a couple of times then rejected by Dreamworks and they finally decided to hire someone else to give it a go. It's a hard thing to adapt to live action at the end of the day. Knowing this I doubt they'd have tied themselves to something with a too strict time limit or at least without ample room for extension to it.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Damnd of Hell

Post by Damnd of Hell »

One of the things about film, is that it often takes years to even get a green lighted project off the ground. Now take this a little furhter, rights have to be optioned and bought. A working screenplay obtained, actors and directors found who believe in the project.

It takes time. :D Better for them to take their time, and turn out a quality project, then rush and ruin the whole GITS idealogy.
It does not matter wheather one belongs to the upper or lower ranks. If you have not placed your life on the line, at least once, there is cause for shame.
StuckInTheShell

Post by StuckInTheShell »

Might not take as long as you think

http://io9.com/5388834/ghost-in-the-she ... oman-kinda
Damnd of Hell

Post by Damnd of Hell »

YES!!!! :lol:
It does not matter wheather one belongs to the upper or lower ranks. If you have not placed your life on the line, at least once, there is cause for shame.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Stuck, that's realy an encouraging link. I find whenever a studio starts passing around scripts, it means there is a lot of intent to get it released. I have been really down about GitS being adapted, but I'd love anything new at this point.... Has anyone seen The Bioninc Woman show? Is there nods to Shirow in it?
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

This actually makes me a happy panda! Quite good news.

Either way, I'm just excited that we'll be getting some material again! FINALLY!

Speaking of... you do-dos go onto the movie section!!! >: ( WHY IS THERE NO TALK OF GITS VER 2.0!!!!
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I just read that the GitS screenwriter is also tackling James Cameron's ver. of Battle Angel as well...I don't know if it's true....
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

GhostLine wrote:I just read that the GitS screenwriter is also tackling James Cameron's ver. of Battle Angel as well...I don't know if it's true....
Hmm that'd be interesting. None-the-less, I'm just curious to hear about any progress.

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?