Old or New?

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Which character style of Motoko is better?

Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
61%
Stand Alone Complex 1rs GIG
39%

Total votes: 28

THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Even though the 2nd GIG has some nice shots from her (in Cash Eye, or when she's wearing her military uniform, or especially when she goes to sleep with the young drug dealer :lol: ), I like her 1st season's look better because it's way more consistent !
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

cowboyfunk22

Post by cowboyfunk22 »

I think they have her looking more conservative in 2nd gig, so it wins out. In the first season, I kinda felt the same way i did with Faye Valentine and how her skimpy outfit kinda ruined her character a little. However i think the best outfit for the Major was in "Angel's Share" (the England/wine episode) Cute little trench coat with a military flair :wink:
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Another example of a skimpy outfit ruining a character and contrasting too much with the style and seriousness of the film is Armitage the Third.

s.w.
Oh well.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

cowboyfunk22 wrote:I think they have her looking more conservative in 2nd gig, so it wins out. In the first season, I kinda felt the same way i did with Faye Valentine and how her skimpy outfit kinda ruined her character a little.

The skimpy costume fit for Faye - it was exaggerated but it underlined her personality. In Major's case, the outfit and the personality were seriously mismatched, not to mention that the costume itself was a mismatch of unfitting parts.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Another example of a skimpy outfit ruining a character and contrasting too much with the style and seriousness of the film is Armitage the Third.
Feeling guilty because I kind of liked it. What's my excuse? I was young and thought it was cool at the time (chain earrings, choker, visor, knee-highs, tiny pink pistol, and that trench coat...). Although, I liked her simple v-neck jumper and leather trousers combo from ep. 3 more.

Yes, and I agree that Faye's costume fit her personality well. It's just the way she was (like Armitage too I guess). Although if the outfit for Motoko didn't match her personality in SAC, that's probably something to take the manga to task for as well (not the first one, but the endless revealing-oufit-clad Motoko's of MMI and Shirow's more general drawings of her). The hard disc Motoko, anyone?
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

I think Armitage III's outfit was cool and that tiny pink pistol was awesome, as was the trailing and spinning handcuff the antagonist ran around with. Never had a problem with Faye's outfit either, although I didn't think it was particularly cool (which goes for a lot of stuff in Cowboy Bebop). And in MMI the new Motoko is divine, so I don't mind her looking the part.

I think the SAC Motoko is the only time I've been annoyed at an outfit for being skimpy, and I believe that it is because Motoko doesn't exhibit any of the character traits which I have come to associate with skimpy outfits. She's not cute, she's not a dominatrix, she's not an airhead and she doesn't try to win favours by looking sexy. (Except when she did in London and it pretty much didn't work, which tells me that she's not used to doing it.) And unlike a lot of movie and game heroines who may run around in skimpy outfits while also not exhibiting any 'skimpy attitude', Motoko has a choice of what to wear since she isn't stuck in an action situation which won't let her get to her wardrobe.

Perhaps her outfit is a compromise between the naked Motoko from the movie and the fully clothed Motoko? It's not working though. Naked is hardcore and full riotgear is hardcore, but bathing suit just says "beach bunny". :roll:
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Spica

Post by Spica »

In MMI Shirow comments that one of the reason that Motoko wears such skimpy outfits is to distract her (male) opponents. He refers to it as a "slight of leg" :P .
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Spica wrote:In MMI Shirow comments that one of the reason that Motoko wears such skimpy outfits is to distract her (male) opponents. He refers to it as a "slight of leg" :P .

Yeah, and to her it actually suits, but remember that she's not the same Motoko.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Lightice wrote:Yeah, and to her it actually suits, but remember that she's not the same Motoko.
Well, actually, I would say that SAC's Motoko and MMI's Motoko have (at least) this in common :P
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Míxtil

Post by Míxtil »

Does anyone remember the 100 or so rough sketches for Motoko's uniform in the offical log? some of those where qute good. Better than her usual one.
ghost

Post by ghost »

I think the out fits in the first gig was just to make sure no one thought that motoko was bashfull in any case they suck prity bad in my opinion

GHOST

the stuff in the second gig is much better if you ask me
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

ghost wrote:I think the out fits in the first gig was just to make sure no one thought that motoko was bashfull in any case they suck prity bad in my opinion

GHOST

Please try and be more constructive than saying that they "suck prity bad" Who's they anyhow?

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding you ghost...
ghost

Post by ghost »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
ghost wrote:I think the out fits in the first gig was just to make sure no one thought that motoko was bashfull in any case they suck prity bad in my opinion

GHOST

Please try and be more constructive than saying that they "suck prity bad" Who's they anyhow?

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding you ghost...
they (the outfits that motoko wheres in the first GIG. Or should I say the outfit she wheres.) are not the point of the shoe so I don't think it's that big a deal with me.
P.S. I will be more constructive in the future :)
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

I much prefer the Motoko in the 2nd gig. I really like her new outfit compared to last seasons' (plus she has more).

http://img76.echo.cx/img76/1573/card5co.jpg
ghost

Post by ghost »

Black Mamba wrote:I much prefer the Motoko in the 2nd gig. I really like her new outfit compared to last seasons' (plus she has more).

http://img76.echo.cx/img76/1573/card5co.jpg
Yes I agree, her outfits in sac 2nd gig are much better looking, and franky more pratical, in both appearance, and function.