Simulated Worlds

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

Togusa

Simulated Worlds

Post by Togusa »

This is kind of a tangent, but it might be interesting in terms of considering the Stand Alone Complex idea. This discussion of simulated inauthentic worlds reminds me of the whole similicra without a similicrum idea. I'd be curious what you think if you listent to the program.

Has anyone read Umberto Eco's Travels in Hyperreality by the way?

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/pages/d ... 96/38.html
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

One of the best, though darkest simulated worlds is the one in "Bladerunner". The darkness of it seems to show a real dismal view of the future. Strangely enough it also deals with the cybrog topic. Probably in a more realistic way than GITS does.

The strangest I've seen is the way they show the world in a movie called "Brazil". Don't let the name fool you, It's a killer movie.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Epiphany wrote:One of the best, though darkest simulated worlds is the one in "Bladerunner". The darkness of it seems to show a real dismal view of the future. Strangely enough it also deals with the cybrog topic. Probably in a more realistic way than GITS does.

The strangest I've seen is the way they show the world in a movie called "Brazil". Don't let the name fool you, It's a killer movie.
I loved Brazil. I'm not even sure why. I guess it might have had something to do with Robert DeNiro playing a secret agent fix-it man. :)
rcog3

Post by rcog3 »

Epiphany wrote:One of the best, though darkest simulated worlds is the one in "Bladerunner". The darkness of it seems to show a real dismal view of the future. Strangely enough it also deals with the cybrog topic. Probably in a more realistic way than GITS does.

What did you find simulated in Blade Runner? I am amazed how our world slowly tends to be more and more like it everyday. They installed giant screens in (at least) one of the subway stations here. You should see all these people all looking at the same place with empty eyes. And this is _reality_.

As for brazil ...
- It's not the machine. There's a mismatch on the personnel code numbers... Tuttle should have had £31.06, debited against his account, not Buttle!
- Oh my God, a mistake!
- Well at least it's not ours.
- Isn't it? Whose is it?
- Information Retrieval.
- Oh, good!
this kafka-esque bureaucracy is reminiscent of one of my favorite authors. The "one desk for two guys" is also brilliant :-)
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

As a fan of The Matrix, I've often found myself discussing the deeper intricacies of Hypereality. Most of it revolved around Jean Baudrillard's 'Simulacra and Simulation', and Baudrillard's notion that eventually a facsimile becomes so accurate that you can't tell it from the real thing and the real thing is lost.

I have to say most philosophy is way over my head, but I almost understand that, and it's visible around us everyday. The fact we are speaking via this forum instead of in person is a manifestation of it. The facsimile is far from real however so far...
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...