Innocence on Blu-Ray

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

marto_motoko

Innocence on Blu-Ray

Post by marto_motoko »

Does anyone own it? I was thinking of buying it, but I'm not sure if they'll be making a US release for it. I know that there's english subs for it, and PS3 is region-free on all games and blu-rays, so I think it might be cool. It's seventy bucks but oh well. That's pretty average for imported Blu-Rays.

marto
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Wow PS3s are Region-Free? I really gotta get a PS3 sometime ...

I'd like HD versions of at least GiTS and Innocence. Ideally I'd like SAC and 2nd GiG too but I can see BluRay disc sets of those costing a fortune.

Of course all this is immaterial as I have no player atm. I've been warned not to buy one yet by several people as they are going up in price before they fall now Sony has the monopoly on HD discs.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

According to what I've heard, the PS3 is region free for PS3 games (as long as the game company doesn't create some sort of lock in their own code). PS2 and PS games are still region-locked (I hope that's not true, but that's what I've read).

The PS3 supports region encoding for Blu-ray discs, but I gather that many Blu-ray discs are not actually regon encoded. The regions have changed from the old regions for DVDs--now the Americas and Japan are in the same region, but Europe is still not. So those of us in the US can buy Japanese Blue-ray discs and play them just fine, whether or not the discs are region-encoded. Those of us in England may have the same trouble we've always had.

Also, if you get the "cheaper" PS3 with the smaller hard drive, it won't support PS2 games at all. The "expensive" version supports PS2 games via software.

Until I have an HD television, it matters not to me whether they release GitS on Blu-ray--unless they do something evil and put all kinds of incredible extras on it.

--Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Jeff Georgeson wrote:According to what I've heard, the PS3 is region free for PS3 games (as long as the game company doesn't create some sort of lock in their own code). PS2 and PS games are still region-locked (I hope that's not true, but that's what I've read).

The PS3 supports region encoding for Blu-ray discs, but I gather that many Blu-ray discs are not actually regon encoded. The regions have changed from the old regions for DVDs--now the Americas and Japan are in the same region, but Europe is still not. So those of us in the US can buy Japanese Blue-ray discs and play them just fine, whether or not the discs are region-encoded. Those of us in England may have the same trouble we've always had.

Also, if you get the "cheaper" PS3 with the smaller hard drive, it won't support PS2 games at all. The "expensive" version supports PS2 games via software.

Until I have an HD television, it matters not to me whether they release GitS on Blu-ray--unless they do something evil and put all kinds of incredible extras on it.

--Jeff
Nah, I play all regions on my PS3. The PS3 can play any region PS1, PS2, or PS3 game, as well as any region blu-ray.

The only thing region coded for PS3 is normal DVDs. :( Which sucks, because that means I can only watch my english-dubbed Innocence on the computer. (I still prefer it subbed. I don't like the exclusion of several quotes, and the augmentation of some rather crucial, if subtle, dialogue).

marto
StuckInTheShell

Re: Innocence on Blu-Ray

Post by StuckInTheShell »

marto_motoko wrote:Does anyone own it? I was thinking of buying it, but I'm not sure if they'll be making a US release for it. I know that there's english subs for it, and PS3 is region-free on all games and blu-rays, so I think it might be cool. It's seventy bucks but oh well. That's pretty average for imported Blu-Rays.

marto
http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-Vol-I ... 38&sr=1-13

by the way, the PS3 is NOT a region free player. Japan and the USA are in the same region though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Region_codes
Locke

Post by Locke »

I wouldn't put it past myself to buy it before I even have a Blu-Ray player or high definition television. I saw this and Akira's Blu-Ray edition advertised in a magazine and just about flew.
"Humanity does not ask us to happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf."
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I think the blu-ray came out yesterday, on the thirteenth.
StuckInTheShell

Post by StuckInTheShell »

marto_motoko wrote:I think the blu-ray came out yesterday, on the thirteenth.
Just a quick update. I just finished watching the blu-ray and its nothing short of spectacular. There are two different english dubs; one from the UK studios and one from bandai (the same the SAC tv series). The original Japanese Audio and audio commentary by the director. Video quality is spectacular and audio is great as well (no losless track though). Extras are a little weak but the video quality is the main attraction here.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Do the dubs use separate translations?
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I'm having a hard time finding the Blu-Ray, and I can't order stuff online right now since I RAPED by Debit card due to a broken 60gig PS3, and some other stuff...

What I really want to get alongside the blu-ray is the metal special edition tin of it.

mm