What's your music ... 2008 edition

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

What's your music ... 2008 edition

Post by Saito »

I'm always curious when I meet a bunch of new people as to what kind of music you like, and seeing as I'm kinda new here I thought it'd be a nice ice-breaker.

No arguments or flames please - everyone's taste is different ;)

Among my favourite bands are:

R.E.M.
Nine Inch Nails
Queen
Coldplay
Feeder
blur
Gorillaz

I also really like a lot of the GiTS:SAC soundtrack songs Yoko Kanno did, they are really amazing pieces of music. Really evocative.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Arcade Fire
Ryan Adams
U2
The Smashing Pumpkins
Sigur Ros

eclectic stuff...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Ozzy :twisted:
Staind
Aerosmith 8)
Kelly Clarkson :oops:
Hanson :roll: I know I know but they were the first band I listened to

Trevon Jones "Last of the Mohicans" soundtrack
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

wasn't there a thread like this already before?

...anyway I dig a lot of stuff, but the main course is composed of:

radiohead
portishead
buck65
IAM
2pac
amon tobin
lhasa de sela
killah priest
Oh well.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

I had a look but couldn't find it...
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

There's at least one other:

http://www.neomythos.com/gitsphpBB/viewtopic.php?t=222

I'd swear I must have posted what I was listening to as well, but it's not in there ... so maybe there's another one.

* shrugs * It doesn't matter, though--I really don't mind having it as a new topic. (I can always merge them or something if we want to, but this way everyone can update their music preferences :D )

I tend to listen to the same CD over and over while I'm working (partially I'm lazy, partially it doesn't distract me, and partially I'm just a strange, strange person). Right now the CDs I take with me everywhere are:

Garbage--Bleed Like Me (& others)
Sophie Ellis Bextor--Trip the Light Fantastic (& others)
Serial Experiments Lain soundtrack
St. Etienne--various

Occasionally David Bowie still sneaks in there, or if I'm in a really funky mood Alice Cooper or Ozzy (although I'd have to blow the dust off those). And various other anime soundtracks (Cowboy Bebop, Bubblegum Crisis, Ghost in the Shell).
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

I really can't narrow down my music to a few favorite artists or bands. I tend to listen to Trance, Hip Hop/Rap, Jazz, FOB music and some Alternative.

But, here are some artists/bands I've been listening to recently. :)

- Maroon 5
- Stanley Huang
- Yuki & Jinusean
- Basshunter
- Bone Thugs 'N Harmony
- will.i.am
- Jack Johnson
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

I'll bite.

Current stuff I'm listening to:

-Oda Kosei (I sorta think of his stuff as the "Japanese version of Iron and Wine)
-TaQ
-Psalm (A very cool Japanese band that is made of a koto player and two female vocalists)
-Cat Power
-Janne Da Arc
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I'd swear I must have posted what I was listening to as well, but it's not in there ... so maybe there's another one.
Yeah... There was a music thread ages ago, but that was well... ages ago! I like that there's a new one because hey- tastes change and evolve over time, no?

St. Etienne (always a fave)
Queen- yes!
U2- yes! (I still like the 'Pop' album best though)
Sade
and more :P

My absolute favourite song however is "Toki no Naka de" by Masha. It is the end song of the second series of AD Police, and it is just brilliant ^_^. I cannot find the band anywhere online though- there is another band out there with exactly the same name, but I do not think it is them. I also really like the song "Yuudachi" (featured in the opening to Boogiepop Phantom) alot. And Bubblegum Crisis music; it will live forever, lol.
Saito

Post by Saito »

I just listened to 'Some Other Time' from the SAC soundtracks and it *almost* brought a tear to my eye. I can't really describe in words why it's so emotional, it just always has been a favourite of mine, I just think it's beautiful.

You'll have to excuse my being a bit of a girl, I've had a hard few weeks, and stuffs not getting any less hard, mostly work just getting the better of me. I like listening to the SAC soundtracks though - they relax the mind a lot and help provoke thought in me. It's kinda like a meditation music for my brain.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Hey, what is wrong with being a girl? Be human; all kinds of feelings and emotions and behaviours are human. Men have just as much right to cry and gush as women, lol. (And women have just as much claim to the behaviour of "playing it cool" as men). Eh... the humanist in me is speaking. The hardest, most well-crafted man or woman is the one who can do both (sensitivity and stoicism) :mrgreen:
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

"Inner Universe" from the 1st series of SAC had a powerful and uplifting effect on me when I first heard it. It feels great to sing that song, too (well, admittedly I make up the lyrics sometimes because I don't remember all of them, lol)- you can go all out with the quality of the soaring bits.

Actually, in the first GitS film it was the long sequence of the city in the rain, with nothing more than Kenji Kawaii's music playing that brought tears to my eyes. I get a chill all over and a sense of longing for something whenever I look at that. Kawai's music and Oshii's direction are so beautiful and evocative that they've made me watery-eyed with the feeling that I've seen a truly beautiful moment in art at other times, too, such as the 5th episode of the original Patlabor OAV, when the snow spirals down over the city after Gotoh and Shinobu are talking, the music that plays gently -evoking a sense of sadness in the past- as Shinobu travels under the bridges of Tokyo to meet the man she ruined her career for in Patlabor 2, or the episode in the final Patlabor series where Asuma chases a ghost from his past (the whole score of that episode moved me at every vital point that it should have).

[btw the various Patlabor series and films are great and well worth seeing if you have not already. The films are perfect for fans of Oshii's GitS work, while the series are great not only for fans of Oshii (particularly the first one, which he directed most of) but also of fans of comedy and characterisation in general. It is a classic]

Then there's "Aeris' Theme" in Final Fantasy VII. Wow is there a lot of emotional weight to that, but also beauty in general. (It's got to be the strings- the violins in the orchestral version)
Saito

Post by Saito »

I find both the title themes from SAC very stirring. The 2nd Gig theme (Rise) is a really rousing piece too. Also on that list from SAC would be Cyberbird and Stamina Rose.

Other Anime? Erm... I really like Between Heaven and Earth from Macross Plus (even though I still haven't watched it - I need my rear end kicking - I think I've owned that over a year and watched 1 ep. =o\ ).
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Macross Plus soundtracks have real gems on them. Yoko Kanno is just amzingly productive. Such a long list of projetcs...
Oh well.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I listen to everything from Heavy Metal over Rock till Electronic stuff and Industrial.
And of course J-rock i forgot to mention.