Its cold and lonely here now a days

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Epiphany wrote:fyi for everyone. SSS is on SciFi network tonight.
not by my sky+box it isnt
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

it was on here tonight. sounds like they used the same voice actors as in the GITS 2 series. Only thing that would have made it better would have been to show it in matchbox format. I watched it with sub titles before but I like the english voices better....Probably because thats how I first saw any Ghost movies and series.
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Yeh your in the us of a over hever we have BskyB making a right A55 of themselfs and the only (good) anime channel of air again !!!
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Well, I'm back, at least to have a small look around. I'm no good at starting conversations, unfortunately, but I'm always glad to participate, when an interesting topic arises. If the spambots are indeed gone, I might become a regular, again. We'll see.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

it would be nice if whoever runs the asylum now would inform the rest of the inmates that its a safe place to play now. I think it could be a nice sight now if everyone came back. like i said in the subject line " its cold and lonely in here right now"
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

I check this place for new posts as I fly thru the net everyday hoping that one day it'll start to prosper again. I came to it too late really, after the great collapse, but all the echos I pick up reading the threads and the like around the place are of a place that was once a live-wire place to be.

I know how to feels to have a forum go flat on you, I have been a member of MatrixFans.net since 2003 and about 2 years ago the place just died, slowly to almost nothing. We propped it up by talking about non-Matrix stuff. Unlike the Matrix though GiTS hasn't died on it's ass since the end of 2004. It is still going (very) strong.

I can see a lot of people here I really would like to get to know better who all have opinion and information to offer about GiTS. There is still a lot to discuss. SSS, what comes next, it's all out there and deserves the attention we can give it.

Ah well, I guess people just move on eventually though. I've been on the net 15 long years and I've seen people from all 4 corners of the world graduate from high school and then college, get jobs, have kids, pass away, all down a length of wire. I guess I have a bit of regret that I didn't get hear earlier, but it's not just that. I know it's cheesy but something in my head is telling me I belong here, and even though we seldom speak it's like that feeling you walking into a room full of strangers and feeling you have a certain amount of respect from the get-go.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I know what you mean. I was hoping that when SSS came out in english it would jump start the site. I still love all the GITS series and movies. were I live there are very few people into anime, (Except the stoners down the hall that watch Adult Swim) and they aren't really people I wanta spend time with. It would be nice to have this site wake up. I miss the people I use to talk to here.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

You can talk to me - I'm all ears. I really want to talk to someone about GiTS as it's unvented steam in my brain. I talked The Matrix to death but as a result feel I understand every aspect of what was a very complex story. I'd like to feel the same way about GiTS too, but it involves talking it over with others, discussing the finer points. Passing my theories past others and seeing if they agree, or not. If I'd got here a year earlier I could maybe have done that with the great people here.

Even if only 1 or 2 of you end up talking to me it's better than nothing :D
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I can under stand that. Sfter all there are so many sub stories connected to the whole GITS experiance that you can talk forever and not cover it all. There are so many different ways to view almost every scene that you can watch it over and over and still not be sure if you understand it. I seem to inject my mood of the moment into it. So it gets very confussing sometimes.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

It's too bad really. I don't know when it happened but somewhere along the way, I lost that edge, that thing... the will to truely decipher anything I watch. Too much hanging out with football players can do that to you. maybe I should quit coaching! But then who will tell them to expand their minds or at least that they shouln't act like meat heads? I watched and enjoyed everything GitS, but it just didn't feel like the first film and manga in all the different continuations. Maybe it's the opposite and it has become such a second nature to see through the scenes that the topic isn't as challenging as it used to be and I lost som interest.

Who am I kidding. i probably became a meathead myself...
Oh well.
Saito

Post by Saito »

It's too bad really. I don't know when it happened but somewhere along the way, I lost that edge, that thing... the will to truely decipher anything I watch.
You have not lost it, you just don't feel inclined to use it. You are probably right - because you have a time-consuming and intensive past-time perhaps it has slewed your view on life. After all football as a sport is not about thinking, it's about doing, not just making random actions, but knowing beforehand what to do and doing it. In order to teach that you would have to change your frame of mind. To one of prepared thinking, conditioning. Maybe some of it wore off on yourself?

I don't want to decipher everything I watch either, it's just that certain things catch my imagination. Growing up it was Sci-Fi stuff like Star Trek and Star Wars (for the record I came out on Lucas's side of the argument ;)), latterly it's been stuff like The Matrix, GiTS, EVA, and... erm... more Star Wars. My mind is constructed thus that as soon as something grabs my attention then I have to fond out everything I can about it. I hope I never lose that, but as 'real life' creeps into all facets of your time and your consciousness that child-like curiosity for what inspires your imagination can, and sometimes has to, take a back seat.

I think it's sad that the modern world grinds away at such an element that undoubtedly makes us human. Those who resist this and express vision and imagination, and curiosity to make that leap of knowledge, are hailed as pioneers and visionaries, when in actuality they are just being human, and those around them, that congratulate, or berate them, are not.
Who am I kidding. i probably became a meathead myself...
I highly doubt you'd even be here if you were. Moreover 'Meatheads' don't tend to think they are meatheads, they just think they are the best, baby. Not that you aren't the best... but you know what I mean :)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Purifying Flame of Justic
Location: The Outer Plane of Xatorsika; Pondering upon my own existence, what path in life shall I embark on?

Post by Purifying Flame of Justic »

@Saito what is EVA an abbreviation for?
"It is terrible to die of thirst on the ocean.
Does your truth have to be so salty that it can no longer even - quench thirst?" Nietzsche
Saito

Post by Saito »

Neon Genesis Evangelion. I went into it knowing nothing about it, and came out a different person. It entertained me, made me cry and scared the living crap out of me all at the same time, not to mention confusing me more than once. Any work that good deserves credit. I don't think I could ever watch it again though...

I always joke with anyone I talk to that there are nail marks in the ceiling above my chair from the suspense.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Eva... I have to watch that again during the holidays. I just wish my girl could understand english. She's really into sci-fi and all, but the language barrier... aw man... You have to enjoy a piece of work like Eva. I mean, it has everything. I can really feel an author when he beats up his characters morally and physically like that! :twisted:
Oh well.
Saito

Post by Saito »

I think my employer probably thought I was sick the whole week I watched EVA (about 4-5 eps a night for the whole 26). I was really off beat.

I don't know if you know the film well but you know that scene in the Matrix where Thomas Anderson is sat at his desk after he is late for work and gets dragged into his boss's office, he has both hands on the table and is lost in the masses of thoughts running through his head. I was like that for a whole week at work almost. Going back over the stuff I did during the time it was really bad. I think I rewrote most of the code I did.

I almost quit watching it at one point because I nearly totally freaked out, but I figured if I stopped I'd never know so I decided to watch it all and hope the conclusion cleared my head. In the even it did, after a lot of deep thinking and many nights sat in my room meditating on just WTH it was all about.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...