Ghost in the Shell: Special Edition

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

That is a good flash animation. Movie sites are rarely updated, so this is kool.

And they are charging $40 for the Special Edition, so you really are getting a deal on amazon. Wonder how much I could get for my original on ebay..... or should I keep it?
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I kept my original version because some of the text based extras on it were not carried over to the Special Edition.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Motoko2030 wrote:I kept my original version because some of the text based extras on it were not carried over to the Special Edition.
I found those very useful and actually ended up writing most down. Why on earth wouldn't they include those on the Special Edition? They should really be adding to it!
sail65506

Product

Post by sail65506 »

Lightice wrote:
Brilliant stuff whats it called? ^
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I recently watched Ghost in the Shell in DTS and it sounds amazing, the sounds that you hear makes it seem that you are actually experiencing what is occuring. If you have a DTS or a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround System, get this DVD if you want the best sounds.
sord

Post by sord »

got the special editionr $20 at Best Buy. The sound pretty cool, since i have a killer stereo set and bass (god i love when the armored car explodes) though everyones voices seems so soft compared to background noise and music, regardless of language. The visuals also still have that gritty old-school look to it, but you begin to not realize it after awhile. Comes with a nice poster too :D

oh, and honesty\ly, most of the extra features on the second disk aren't worth much, just some character bios, how they made the film (which of course is now far outdated) and little bios on the producer and writer. The biggest bit would be the making of the film part, as it does interview some employees and what they thought of their final product.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Thanks for that elaboration sord. Seems like people are loving the DTS sound with this special edition.
The visuals also still have that gritty old-school look to it
Isn't that kinda a good thing? Part of what makes Ghost in the Shell such a great movie is the, to me, "old classic" feel.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

The DTS soundtrack of the special edition adds a new dimension in experiencing the film, I was able to hear sounds that I could never hear when watching it in stereo.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

My opinion on the Special Edition was this:

Beautiful extras, especially the poster, which has a very nice picture of motoko's repair/creation in red tone, that is still standing nice and proud in the center of my altar.

You also get two dvds. One featuring the movie, and a few extras, the movie being touched up with cleaner graphics, better visuals, and a very noticeable quality touch-up.

The extras include things such as the making of Ghost in the Shell, with indepth interviews, and a how Ghost in the Shell was made (step by step process of coloring, making the cells, etc), DVD catalog, and Trailers.

I say this is a must have for any ghost in the shell fan! :)

Hope that helps.

M.M.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

that is still standing nice and proud in the center of my altar.
Tehehe

Yes, Marto, that was very helpful. Although I really need to buy the log, 2nd gig DVDs 2-what has been realsed (3?), and the Innocence novel before I go rebuying the movie.

But I'll get there!
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Black Mamba wrote:
Yes, Marto, that was very helpful. Although I really need to buy the log, 2nd gig DVDs 2-what has been realsed (3?), and the Innocence novel before I go rebuying the movie.

But I'll get there!
The novel was amazing. Get that first! The movie, second! Because it's getting harder and harder to get, and unless you order it offline, you might have a hard time a few months from now!
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

marto_motoko wrote:
Black Mamba wrote:

But I'll get there!
The novel was amazing. Get that first! The movie, second! Because it's getting harder and harder to get, and unless you order it offline, you might have a hard time a few months from now!

Don't you mean online? I own the orginal, I'm talking about the special edition.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Black Mamba wrote:
Don't you mean online? I own the orginal, I'm talking about the special edition.
...I said offline, didn't I?.. I need sleep. Yes I do mean online. I would reccomend you get the novel first, but very very soon after, get the movie, because it's hard to find. ^^ Sheesh, I think brain-farts would be a good term for my absent-minded thought process lately. I can't even talk right. :P
ghost

Post by ghost »

Do you own it? If so do you mind elaborating on the sound and visual improvement (if there is any)?[/quote]

The sound is much better in the spetial edition. The explosions come through much better than the original. I have both :)
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Ghost, I have tried both versions of Ghost in the Shell on DTS for the special edition and Dolby Digital 5.1 for the standard version and I have to say that I like listening to the special edition using the DTS soundtrack, the surround sound is a bit better than 5.1.