Samurai Champloo

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

douyang

Samurai Champloo

Post by douyang »

Has anyone here watched that other series by Shinichiro Watanabe, Samurai Champloo? It's one of a kind stuff featuring a bizarre but fascinating mix between Japanese history and tradition and modern day hip hop culture, with characters that represent the opposing forces of past and present and which undergo development and challenges similar to those of cowboy bebop, with the past and how to move past it being an overarching theme in both series. It's full of unexpected yet amusing little anachronisms and blazing swordfights, and it really pays off to know about the Edo period in Japanese history when watching it. I just finished it, and I recommend it to anyone who likes a good anime.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Samurai Champloo is a great series. To bad it ended. The character mix is a wonderful triangle. The samuri that smells like sunflowers was a neat story line.
shadowferret

Post by shadowferret »

I liked Samurai Champloo...
Lots of Action, and the music was good. It made me realize hip-hop can be decent if you remove the crappy lyrics...
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

samurai champloo was awesome it was the second ever anime series ive watched.. great music and violence too what more could you want

shadowferret im curious to know which hip hop artists you think have crappy lyrics??

i know a fair few mainstream artists i.e. g unit, 50 cent and all that jazz are shh-tu-pendously aweful.. rapping about their cars, money, b's + H's but delve a little deeper to artists such as Jurassic 5, MF DOOM and Blackalicious and youll see how good hip hop is with the lyrics..
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

I really liked that anime too ... to bad I have only seen about half of it yet. Great action scenes, cool characters and great music.

I remember (more or less) an episode where they had to get a whole village stoned to pass the border :lol:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I wonder why they didn't make anymore episodes. It seems to be very popular :?

But the first episode and then the one with the gay nordic guy are my favorites :D
StuckInTheShell

Post by StuckInTheShell »

Epiphany wrote:I wonder why they didn't make anymore episodes. It seems to be very popular :?

But the first episode and then the one with the gay nordic guy are my favorites :D
The reason they didnt make anymore episodes is because Shinchiro Watanabe isnt big on never ending 150-300 episode animes. Similar to Cowboy Bebop it had 26 episodes with a good ending. I would rather have that then a series with almost 200 episodes and no ending (Inuyasha comes to mind).
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

StuckInTheShell wrote:... I would rather have that then a series with almost 200 episodes and no ending (Inuyasha comes to mind).
Actually, Inuyasha will end soon I think. But you can mention Naruto ... or Dragon Ball :lol:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

Ya Champloo would have started to drag if it'd gone on for too much longer, that still doesn't stop me from craving another series or a film. :)
StuckInTheShell

Post by StuckInTheShell »

Elmo_Redux wrote:Ya Champloo would have started to drag if it'd gone on for too much longer, that still doesn't stop me from craving another series or a film. :)
With the ending I suppose a movie is possible. Or he could do what he did with Cowboy bebop and make the movie take place in the middle of the series.