Episode 27 Gig 2 confused about something ...

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

niko86

Episode 27 Gig 2 confused about something ...

Post by niko86 »

When Motoko and Kuze are in the helicopter leaving Dejima theres a scene where Kuze is holding an apple with a bite out of it.

Motoko then says "Your... " and its left at that. I remember that Motoko was going to bite out of that apple when she and Kuze were trapped. Her being fully cyborg she wouldn't need to, is this maybe showing the natural human feelings in Motoko or something deep like that?

But her being suprised at the apple being bitten by Kuze mean he isn't fully a cyborg?

EDIT: Or is it all a translation mess up which seems to mean something but doesnt? :P
douyang

Post by douyang »

I think its about the apple representing the forbidden fruit of knowledge from the biblcal story about the garden of eden, and Kuze being willing the take the plunge to obtain greater knowledge and rise to a higher (and according to him, superior) level of consciousness by trying to upload his ghost onto the net, even at the risk of altering or destroying it. "becoming one with the sea of information, and becoming like the gods of ancient cultures showing the path to enlightenment to others", or something like that, if I remember correctly. I believe the fact that he had enough conviction to take the risk to know himself, others, and the world around him more fully and the major didn't is what really bugs motoko at the end. She's probably wondering if he was right and what could have been. Plus she finds herself alone again.

I'm wondering what others think about this last scene, the vagueness always bugged me.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

douyang wrote:I think its about the apple representing the forbidden fruit of knowledge from the biblcal story about the garden of eden, and Kuze being willing the take the plunge to obtain greater knowledge and rise to a higher (and according to him, superior) level of consciousness by trying to upload his ghost onto the net, even at the risk of altering or destroying it. "becoming one with the sea of information, and becoming like the gods of ancient cultures showing the path to enlightenment to others", or something like that, if I remember correctly. I believe the fact that he had enough conviction to take the risk to know himself, others, and the world around him more fully and the major didn't is what really bugs motoko at the end. She's probably wondering if he was right and what could have been. Plus she finds herself alone again.

I'm wondering what others think about this last scene, the vagueness always bugged me.
I have to agree with you. It was a very confusing ending. I have a feeling that if there is ever a GITS 3rd gig we will see more of Kuze in some form or another.
I don't think he's the one that bit the apple. I think it was the major and that the single bite represents his refusal to let go of his beliefs. even for the love of his life. Either way it was a very sad moment.
niko86

Post by niko86 »

I agree with your ideas that Kuze has bitten of the fruit in that he is going to merge with the net and rise to a higher different conciousness.

I would say it was Kuze who had bitten the apple. The major almost did but stopped. The apple obviously isn't there just as an apple, its a representation of the act of uploading to the net. When Kuze and the Major were trapped there was alot of apples around; for all the refugees?. Kuze handed the Major the apple when they seemed to have no hope left, yet he knows she is full cyborg so it obviously isnt for eating. Kuze bites it and he may have already uploaded his conciousness to the net in the helicopter; controlling his body remotely.
xhalen

Agree

Post by xhalen »

Actually, if you pay attention to the entire scene once they are rescued you'll notice that Kuze's has the cyberbrain lock attached, hence signifying he can't really do much of anything. This is why it looks like Batou is basically manhandling him.
Once on board the helicopter, I'm assuming Motoko's doing what she's always doing, engaging the Net in some way or other, and is contacted by Kuze..which is why you get the surprised 'You are'/'You' comment(depending on whether watching subs or dubbed) along with a picture of Kuze holding the bitten apple.
I guess what I'm saying is, I agree...Kuze's already transfered himself into the Net.

-X
niko86

Re: Agree

Post by niko86 »

xhalen wrote:Actually, if you pay attention to the entire scene once they are rescued you'll notice that Kuze's has the cyberbrain lock attached, hence signifying he can't really do much of anything. This is why it looks like Batou is basically manhandling him.
Once on board the helicopter, I'm assuming Motoko's doing what she's always doing, engaging the Net in some way or other, and is contacted by Kuze..which is why you get the surprised 'You are'/'You' comment(depending on whether watching subs or dubbed) along with a picture of Kuze holding the bitten apple.
I guess what I'm saying is, I agree...Kuze's already transfered himself into the Net.

-X
I forgot about the cyberbrain lock ... :P I guess that bit is resolved now :P