Anime Classics

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Yes, the shadow demon does in fact sample some of the ninja woman's secretions and i think it was to make some sort of potion/poison to control her actions.
Oh well.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

:shock:

I thank you all for the, err, rather elaborated descriptoins on the adult scenes.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Well I'm sure that you'll definitely want to avoid Ninja Scroll after an unpleasant explanation like that! This is all a bit disturbing so why don't we escape from this subject now... Back to anime classics!

Jeff
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

:oops:

Sorry, Jeff, I just wanted to clear the confusion... I didn't think anything of it.
Oh well.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Although Chrismas is gone, I think this thread can still stay alive. Any anime movie unmentioned that you think is a classic?
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Well you have those which will have to be considered classics at some point in the near future, like Metropolis and perhaps Steamboy.
Oh well.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Metropolis was weird. I did not like the character style at all, I can't really comment on the story because I can't remember it.
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

I agree. That's what really annoyed me watching the movie. I thought the idea of the robots and being treated like second class citizens was interesting, but the art stile turned me off. Also to add to the list of recommended anime I would add the new Appleseed and most of the Gundam series, excluding Gudam seed and that mini version, most of its incarnations have well thought out plots and nice attention to detail where the mechs are concerned, but maybe I just favor it because its one of the first animes that I watched.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
Spica

Post by Spica »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is good (I used the Best Buy Gift certificate that I got from my Uncle for Christmas to buy it). Its been to long since I saw the origional Vampire Hunter D to comment on whether or not it is any good.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
base of the pillar

I thought the first was good, but I didn't like the second. It seemed that they were trying to hard with the special effects and not as much with the plot.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i loved Vampire Hunter D! Bloodlust is superior animation-wise, but not-so in story.

I just got the Aeon Flux boxset...great character designs...animation, so-so...and the stories are just plain weird.

great classics...Macross: Do You Remember Love, Megazone 23, Princess Mononoke...drawing a blank.
base of the pillar

Yes the whole Macross series is a standard so far as mechs are conserned. Plus the macross plots are very intersting.

Bringin It Down

Post by Bringin It Down »

Thanks Sylphi. I'll check that out.

How long are these running? And when will they be airing in America on what days?
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

How long are these running? And when will they be airing in America on what days?
Black Jack is not currently airing in the US, as far as I know. It was on AZN on cable in the states a few times, and has just finished a run-through this last month. It was dubbed, of course, but the dubbing is actually great (especially for BJ) so no complaints. [[edit- and that channel is now long gone anyway]

It's actually kind of an older anime by this point, but the 50 minutes-ish-long episodes are available on DVD... either two to a DVD (I think it's two and not just one, but you'll have to check), or as two box sets.
Last edited by sonic on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Black Jack is not currently airing in the US, as far as I know. It was on AZN on cable in the states a few times, and has just finished a run-through this last month. It was dubbed, of course, but the dubbing is actually great (especially for BJ) so no complaints. The only problem is that the channel has taking to cutting it up horribly to fit the ads in, and they keep leaving out some important bits that really interrupt the flow of the story :(

It's actually kind of an older anime by this point, but the 50 minutes-ish-long episodes are available on DVD... either two to a DVD (I think it's two and not just one, but you'll have to check), or as two box sets. I don't actually have the episodes on DVD yet- when there's too much other stuff to buy (toys!), I tend not to buy anime so long as I still have my crumby old VHS's.
Depending on what version of Black Jack you watch though... There is a recent series that aired in Japan in honor of the 30 somethingith anniversary of the Black Jack manga (personally I think the old ones are much better). There's also a movie that came out on DVD a while back.

I love Black Jack with a passion even though, and maybe partly because, of its graphic nature. I really don't like Pinoko though. I don't get her. I don't want to get her. :P