What kind off music do you listen to at the moment?

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

Míxtil

Post by Míxtil »

CUrrently it's:
PN03 soundtrack
Ladytron
Tenacious D
Goldfrapp

I'm not in a very musical mood at the moment.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i just got The Raconteurs. man, that's a good album.
(or The Saboteurs if your an Aussie...)
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

I'm a big fan of vgm (video game music). I'm an avid member of www.squaresound.com and a staffer at the new www.squareenixmusic.com (another site produced after some staff left squaresound). I love it, and honestly can't get enough of it. My favorite composers include the great Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, Yoko Shimomura, and Masashi Hamauzu.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

it's a bit silly and electronic most of the time, but there are some great remixes of video game music on www.ocremix.org. :gabu:
Last edited by Elmo on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Elmo wrote:it's a bit silly and eletronic most of the time, but there are some great remixes of video game music on www.ocremix.org.
Yep, I really enjoy some of the stuff on OCremix. My favorite still remains to be "Terra in Black". A celestial/rock arrangment of FFVI's "Terra". You should check it out.
-Animae-

Post by -Animae- »

How is it that I am not surprised to be the only one here listening to progressive metal?
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks--those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

What is "progressive metal"? What is progressive about it? No, it's a serious question...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I think I lived in another time or something. I seem to like older stuff.
Yes, ELP, Aerosmith, Kataro,
Along with Classical. I love Scheherazade and Pictures At An Exhabition.
Plus Handel and Trevor Jones.
-Animae-

Post by -Animae- »

Sylphisonic wrote:What is "progressive metal"? What is progressive about it? No, it's a serious question...
What’s progressive about it? Well, as a friend of mine nicely put it progressive metal is a wastebasket for metal that is not “sufficient” to create its own genre, but still does not really belong in any other genre. The “progressive” comes from progressive rock, but I would rather see it as failed designs rather than something more developed. But just because they are failures evolutionarily does not imply that they do not hold potential value in themselves. How well adapted something is to its environment is only one of the ways to determine value.
But I guess the evolutionary background does not give away anything about its sound, I can only recommend you to listen to Dream Theater: Scenes from a memory, while preferably lying down relaxing, and focusing on the music.
As for my attraction to the genre, while slightly complicated I thing it can be brought down to the way I worship complexity.
Why make something easy when it can be made complicated? When you have the answers before you the questions lose all value, because of what interest were the questions, if not their answers? And the answers are only interesting for the process that leads you there, once you see the pattern, you know that it is the true value, answers are only empty shells. Have you ever considered that? If not, let me ask you why you want to know; are there any architectural differences between what is true and what is false?
When you read answers from a book, does it give you the same satisfaction as finding them yourself? Are they of any value to you, do they do anything other that obstructing your mind from what you could really find? If you could have everything would you really take it? Would you be afraid? Or would you with false pride sit on that throne?
Got a little bit inspired there, hopefully it’s not to confusing…

If you know of any complex music feel free to tell me about it, I need something new to explore, new questions to ask.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks--those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

WOW animae. I personally like a lot of complex music. Yet, sometimes a simple three chord rocker or a sappy ballad fits my mood better. Music is freeform expression and unless the rules have changed. Everyone has a right to express themselves, even if they can't express themselves to your high standards. Sometimes music is simply the background noise to life and is not ment to be the focus of it.

I'm sure a lot of the stuff I like would be considered fluff in not flatout crap by you. But in the words of the Doobie Brothers "Listen to the music" ( by the way, they have some of the most complex chord progressions around )

After all variety makes the world go round. If we all liked the same things, what a boring world we would live in.

by the way what genre do you like?
try the Yes Album "Relayer" or King Curtis's "Soul Serenade"
-Animae-

Post by -Animae- »

I agree that simple music can be good as well, but much depends on the intended propose of the music, I generally consider music that fulfills its purpose good. I think that what kind of listener you are determines a lot about what kind of music you are likely to enjoy. For casual listening lighter stuff is usually better, while very atmospheric music is usually most fit for film, games and anime.
The problem that I find with for example atmospheric music is that its not directly stimulating, which make it a bit boring when I focus only on music.
Music that is complex is not necessarily good, making complex music is easy, making complex music that sound good however is difficult.

And what genre I listen to, maybe you missed my first post in this thread.
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

im into loads of musical styles from rock (60's - 70's) to gypsy jazz, hiphop to experimental.. im so all over the place its insane..

a few of my favourite artists/ bands rite now are

Yoko kanno, biffy clyro, blackalicious, dj shadow, cut chemist, dj format, MF DOOM, Led Zepplin, the beatles(who dosent like the beatles!) and random classical stuff... :)
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

mrtodd wrote:im into loads of musical styles from rock (60's - 70's) to gypsy jazz, hiphop to experimental.. im so all over the place its insane..

Yoko kanno, biffy clyro, blackalicious, dj shadow, cut chemist, dj format, MF DOOM, Led Zepplin, the beatles(who dosent like the beatles!) and random classical stuff... :)
blackalicious is AWESOME. He's/they? are the one who does the ABC song right? That's one twisted rap. :)
shadowferret

Post by shadowferret »

Lessee...
Currently, I have been into classical music, for some odd reason....and the really hyper jazz. And I've kinda been into the "sparkley", high-pitched pop songs...>_>
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
mrtodd wrote:im into loads of musical styles from rock (60's - 70's) to gypsy jazz, hiphop to experimental.. im so all over the place its insane..

blackalicious is AWESOME. He's/they? are the one who does the ABC song right? That's one twisted rap. :)
yer! "alphabet aerobics" and just so you know they blackalicious is a duo~ gift of the gab (Tim Parker) and Chief Xcel (Xavier Mosley) :)

and of course i knew that already.. i didnt have to search wikipedia :lol: :wink: