SAC is over :( , what to watch next

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

Elmo

Post by Elmo »

The ending to Jin-Roh is my favourite anime ending at the moment, ubersad :)
Spica

Post by Spica »

And then you've got the "End Of Evangelion" (In my opinion it's the ending to end all endings). There's pretty much no way you could make a sequal after that, that is unless you could turn back time :P .
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Wow you guys are all old school! ^^

My new favorite anime that's just started being released here is called Gankutsuou (Count Of Monte Christo). It has some of the most spectacular visuals you will EVER see in an anime. I recommend it highly. Plus the English dub actors are great. I think they've found Joji Nakata's perfect match. (Unlike Crispin Freeman in Hellsing :p)
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

I just started watching that one...and I stopped. I hated it. The animation was definetly unique...and it didn't work for me. It is way too jarring for my taste. It turned me right off.
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Slipstream wrote:I just started watching that one...and I stopped. I hated it. The animation was definetly unique...and it didn't work for me. It is way too jarring for my taste. It turned me right off.
well to each his own. I'll admit the clothing patterns and the way they move takes some getting used to, but I really like it .
Spica

Post by Spica »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:Wow you guys are all old school! ^^

My new favorite anime that's just started being released here is called Gankutsuou (Count Of Monte Christo). It has some of the most spectacular visuals you will EVER see in an anime. I recommend it highly. Plus the English dub actors are great. I think they've found Joji Nakata's perfect match. (Unlike Crispin Freeman in Hellsing :p)
I keep on trying to convince the people in the anime club at the college I go to that we should watch Gankutsuou, but, since a lot of the guys in the club have bad taste in anime, it never wins in our "what to watch" poles and the president never uses his executive power to just show it despite what the rest of the club thinks (which is how we ended up watching Hellsing and Samurai Champloo, which I both liked). I did however convince him that we should watch Blood+ once enough episodes have been fansubed, so I guess I can't loose 'em all.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Jeni Nielsen

Re: Help plz

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

sail65506 wrote:Does any one know what is wrong here?
EDIT: Posts have been deleted... admin has been notified.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Wantanabe fan

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Does anyone know what Wantanabe (Bebob, S.Champloo, ?wolfs rain?) is doing next?
I do so love his work.
I think he did work on Escaflone in some capacity, that is probably where that came from.

Sad endings are ok if they fit the plot, I do hate the endless loop endings though. Maybe they are to reflect reincarnation or something, and maybe it is just my thourougly ingrained western linial time mind set comeing out, but I don't like em!
AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

Last I read, he'd expressed interest in doing a live-action film. You know, with guns and martial arts and stuff. :wink:
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Jeni Nielsen wrote: My new favorite anime that's just started being released here is called Gankutsuou (Count Of Monte Christo).
i've been wanting to see that one. alas, i dumped netflix and that was one of my lifelines for new anime....

Gantz is really good, but each DVD only had two episodes...lame, people.

I completely for forget the name of it, tales from the darkside or something similar, about a kid looking for ghost stories for a book, and he comes across a trio of weirdos that kill those who wronged the ghosts before they died....unusual color scheme...and a real rushed final episode.
AlphonseVanWorden

I believe Requiem from the Darkness is the title you're thinking of.
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

that would be the one
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

GhostLine wrote:
Jeni Nielsen wrote: My new favorite anime that's just started being released here is called Gankutsuou (Count Of Monte Christo).
i've been wanting to see that one. alas, i dumped netflix and that was one of my lifelines for new anime....
Your quoting my post makes me realize I can't spell. :(

I just bought the 3rd DVD. The pacing is so slow, but I'm sure the payoff is awesome. They're releasing a new DVD about every two months which makes the "pacing" even worse. :)
AlphonseVanWorden

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
GhostLine wrote:
Your quoting my post makes me realize I can't spell. :(

I just bought the 3rd DVD. The pacing is so slow, but I'm sure the payoff is awesome. They're releasing a new DVD about every two months which makes the "pacing" even worse. :)
You know, the Alexandre Dumas novel was one of my childhood favorites. I still return to the book every few years. And I loved Bester's The Stars My Destination, a.k.a. Tiger! Tiger!, when I was a little older. From what I've read, the show's plot follows the original book's developments in many respects (although the point-of-view is changed), so I think you'll be pleased with the pay-off.

I keep meaning to pick up the series, but stuff keeps coming up...
AlphonseVanWorden

An update: I watched the first four episodes of Gankutsuou the other night. All kinds of cool. The first two episodes condense and rework events from Chapters 31-39 of The Count of Monte Cristo, and the series proceeds from that point; a good choice, I think, as this leaves the Count's origin, identity, and motives mysteries for viewers who haven't read the book or seen earlier adaptations to ponder.

I didn't mind the changes to the original plot and characters. In fact, I think the changes made a lot of sense. (I liked the changes to Peppo/Peppino, and I thought referencing the tragic conclusion to a certain Donizetti opera in the opening episode was ironic and brilliant and contributed to the show's brooding, romantic atmosphere; it was also a nice way of acknowledging the literary debt Alexandre Dumas owed to Sir Walter Scott.) Overall, the changes struck me as pretty minor. And there's enough from the original novel in the show to keep me happy.

The look and settings of the series remind me very much of the descriptions in and tone of Bester's The Stars My Destination...

Consider me a convert. I love this show.