Transformers

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

Slipstream

Transformers

Post by Slipstream »

Am I the only one petrified about this movie?

First of all, it is made by the lord of hackmasters, Michael Bay, responsible for the collosal gobstopper crapfests known as Peral Harbor and The Island. He has no talent for pacing or belivable characters. You couple that with the fact that he is a corporate whore, and we could end up having the most expensive Dodge commerical ever made (or replace Dodge with Ford or...you get the idea). If you take the insulting, jarring, product placements of the Island as gospel, we could have long shots of Hummers and Corvettes transforming into robots us old folks remember being Porsches and Lamborghinis. Bumblebee is a Camaro...Yet his name is Bumblebee, which kinda of went well with the yellow beetle his is supposed to be.

I understand the transformers will be updated but I fear a massive influx of corporate sponsorship where the makers of the film will answer to the money rather than the fans. You will have all the Autobots turning into modern American cars which you can buy at your local dealer and all the Decepticons turning into prime examples of American Military might. You add this into Bay's ferret-paced, epileptic seizure inducing, editing where you can't even make out the action, let alone identify the transformers, and we could have the biggest turkeys of 2007...which will make $300 million of course because the average movie buyer apparently wants their movies rationed to them like pez: Small, sweet, and coming out of a funny plastic head. Only this time the head is metal and digitally created, and will probably head-butt the teabag of every fan that grew up this series. I'm sorry if this feels like a rant...but it seems like I may be the only person who feel this way ...
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

The only transformer series that I liked was Transformers Generation 1, the original, to me that series was the perfect Transformer series, Armada, Robots in Disguise and the other series never appealed to me. I also enjoyed the Transformers the Movie that came out since it provided more of the story line to the Transformers universe. For the new live action Transformers movie, I want to see the trailer first before making up my mind of whether or not to see it.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

As I've probably made painfully clear i hate pretty much all cheesy american remakes, (with the possible exception of John Carpenter's The Thing). Also I hate advertising of any kinda especially product placement.... things do not bode well for my opinion on transformers live action ;)

IMO it'd be better if they just reworked the story world entirely and did it with new characters instead of messing up older ones. But it could be fairly cool astheticaly, has anyone seen that car advert where it turns into a robot and ice skates round a frozen lake. If they look anything like that it'll be AGT.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i can't imagine the effects being anything but cool...but it's not right to have a non-beetle bumblebee! i wonder if soundwave will still be using cassettes??? :)
jerryku

Post by jerryku »

I'm worried about the film, too. But I think we just need to let go of our Generation 1 nostalgia. G1 style Transformers are never coming back, and it's a bummer. The potential good thing about this upcoming movie is that there's probably going to be some cool video game(s) for it, if it's a success. I'd love to see some good Transformers games (thought the PS2 one was terrible... being a car in a jungle makes no sense at all). A Transformers MMO would be pretty cool. And if these games were successful enough, they could even include Generation 1 robots as player characters in the game.

Semi-related: I wish someone would make some GI Joe video games. That'd be sweet.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i wonder if they'll borrow the soundtrack from the original Tranformers: the Movie..."you got the touch...you got the power!!" :l-man:
H-street

Post by H-street »

GhostLine wrote:i wonder if they'll borrow the soundtrack from the original Tranformers: the Movie..."you got the touch...you got the power!!" :l-man:
lol, that is usually the first thing that comes to mind when i hear of the transformer movie..
jerryku

Post by jerryku »

Megatron must be stopped. No matter the cost.
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

You all have made me nervouse. I was looking forward to this movie but now I don't know.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I hope Megatron gets the last laugh with Starscream once again; the scene in the movie was so cool. Jeff was shocked when I showed him that.

And here's hoping that Arcee is kind of non-existent; I like her design on it's own, but girl Transformers are just wrong in Gen 1 anyway. Maybe if they had new girl Transformers that weren't as exargerratedly feminine and basically were more like the "male" ones but with female voices it would seem less forced, however. (Make a "female" tank or something- a big bulky soldier that just happens to have a girl voice. Or a car one that still looks identifiably like a car, even in robot mode, like Bumblebee or Jazz do.)
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Michael Bay maybe a big sellout when it comes to product placement, but in a sick kind of way isn't that authentic? ...awesome though they were, the earlier transformers cartoons were basically just toy commercials with dialogue..

/me awaits being hung drawn and quatered for his heresey :wink:
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
H-street

Post by H-street »

well i just watched the teaser trailer.

all in all it will probably be a good movie..

i am a first gen transformer fan, but with these kindof movies, just like hte other comic book movies, i just expect to be entertained for an hour an a half..

see some cool CG animation, some cool battles, horrible dialogue, anti-climactic ending..

if you want to see the teaser check out

http://www.transformersmovie.com/

what i would love is if they released this moving in the IMAX 3D.. (superman was very entertaining in 3D)..
H-street

Post by H-street »

here is the best shot i could get from the teaser of the transformer itself, at least hte CGI looks pretty good..

AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Its prolly gunna crash the ideas and ruin tf fans lives.
The site is crap too, WTF where they doing on mars?
Donshonto

Post by Donshonto »

if they mess up Starscream; there will be blood to pay.