Ghost's Poll, Does Batou have romantic feelings for Motoko?

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Does Batou have romantic feelings for Motoko?

Yes I feel that Batou has romantic feelings toward the Major.
84%
Nope, she is just a good drinking buddy.
No votes
I think he has feelings for her, but only as a friend or teammate.
16%
Yuck, no, he means it when he calls her a she ape in the manga!
No votes

Total votes: 32

Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Ghost's Poll, Does Batou have romantic feelings for Motoko?

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

I'm posting this to renew Ghost's discussion of Batou's feelings for the Major.

Personally, I feel that they make a pretty strong case that he does feel romantically toward her, as well as a sort of protective brotherly love. I think it is hinted at in the movies, but clearer in SAC, especially when he shows his jealousy for her feelings toward Kuze.

(I hope this is part of what you were getting at Ghost)
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I think you should add that you mean overall ("on average") in GitS... Just in case people think he might in some versions but not in others.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Um, I guess I figured that was what Ghost wanted? Is it Ghost?

So Yeh, Overall for now!
douyang

Post by douyang »

Of course Batou has feelings for the major. Even Gouda picked this up, just from what he gathered on section 9 and his personal observations of how Batou acts towards her. This is hinted at subtly in many episodes, and very blatant in both season finales.

I remember one scene at the end of episode 12 of 1st GIG, movie director's dream, where he basically tries to ask her out, and she turns him down. It's also a pretty open secret amongst everyone at section 9. Ishikawa even got it on satellite footage. :lol: (and proceeds to tease him mercilessly).

The real question is are the writers going to do something with this attraction in Solid State Society.
Last edited by douyang on Fri May 26, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

It's a fun little dynamic between the two as it is, if the writers took it any further than speculation and insinuation then they'd spoil the connection between the characters IMO.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Tonks_kittygoth

It would be funny to see if she would have a reaction if Batou started dating some hottie. Like "hey, I dont want to date him, but I still want all his attention.... grrr"

I can see that it might ruin the dynamic, like how they never let Scully and Mulder get together...

Then again, it would be nice to see them happy.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

yeah, i think he's got a thing for miss thang.
but i think they sold themselves out to public security
body and mind, so they aren't going to do anything about it.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I do think there is something going on between Batou and Motoko, he definitely has feeling for her and he cares deeply for her more than a friend or a subordinate. In the first season, he asked her out on a date to see a movie but she refused, he is the only one that she tells her personal feelings to and he cared for her after she touched Kuze's ghostline.
miki-chan

Post by miki-chan »

Don't forget the scene between the two of them in the penultimate ep of 1st Gig, after the tachis destroy the armed suits...seriously steamy...
"Smoke and idiots love high places."--Batou
secondhandevil

Post by secondhandevil »

Well,I think he definately loves her,but I still don't know if its romantic love or the brother/sister love that he has with another soldier that he's been therough so much crap with during his military and law-enforcement careers.
I used to be sane,I'm better now.
Tonks_kittygoth

miki-chan wrote:Don't forget the scene between the two of them in the penultimate ep of 1st Gig, after the tachis destroy the armed suits...seriously steamy...
Yeh, and I didnt notice it at first, but when they walk back to her bedroom, he has his arm around her waist, if I saw correctly. Also the next day when they were going to the plane. ...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Sometimes I think he does, Sometimes I think he doesn't. At times it almost seems like a brother / sister relationship. Then I saw SSS and at the end they seem to imply that he wants to put his hand on her butt instead of around her shoulder. I don't think when he asked her to go to a movie it was a "Date" offer. I think he was just offering her an ear.

I think the whole thing is some kind of inside joke the writers are playing on us. After all they've implied that she has a couple of girlfriends and then that she might like little boys.

Thats one of the things I like about GITS. They keep you using your own imagination.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Categorically yes, its made obvious as mentioned above when he asks her out, and the scene where he challenges her to a fight early on in series one and she makes him punch himself is just one big flirt session.

Plus he wouldnt have risked going back to her safehouse to get her watch if he didnt IMO
Chesire Cat

Post by Chesire Cat »

Batou IS romantically interested in the Major. Mutual respect just doesn't cut it, and neither does brotherly love. Otherwise, it would be an incredibly grand waste of time (Character development-wise) throwing out all those clues all throughout the entire Stand Alone Complex series. It didn't seem coincidental at all.

It is hinted at blatantly when Gouda teases him to the Major, more so when Ishikawa and the rest of section 9 bust him about it (it seems to be an inside joke within the group). To top it all off, he and the Major share an almost sensual moment at the end of the first season which was extremely suggestive (there was nothing friendly or brotherly about that).

But apart from all that, it is the subtle, yet consistent hints that define this interest. Any fan of the series would know that Batou is the only person who addresses the Major by her real name, and the only one who dares engage her in conversation concerning anything other than the cases section 9 deals with. He also never fails to show genuine concern for her in dangerous situations, even if we all know that the Major is almost invincible at times.

What makes his relationship with the Major so interesting is the fact that nothing is ever done to steer the direction of the story away from the action and towards revealing more about what they feel for one another. It is inferred that the Major is "fond" of Batou, but unclear whether she shares the same 'romantic' feelings so far. The fact that both of them are committed to their jobs like crazy, doesn't make things any easier. Because of the nature of their work, Batou doesn't make any particular effort to vocalize his feelings for her much, or do anything about them. The tension is just left there to linger (and keep you intrigued as to what happens next).