Old or New?

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Which character style of Motoko is better?

Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
61%
Stand Alone Complex 1rs GIG
39%

Total votes: 28

Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Huzzah for the genneral consenses of the Major looking silly runing around in her panties with a bunch of fully clad boys!

I think that look, as well as the optical camo naked but not naked suit from the movie turned off alot of female viewers that would have otherwise liked her strong character. It did for me. Like I said in another post, only after my husband watching the series and movies over and over did I give it a decent chance again.

Sliding off topic just a little.
Batou looks better in the 2nd Gig - he looked downright fat in some scenes of the first season.
YES! In the movies and the manga, B is big muscle wise but not fat or slovenly. (Ok, his appartment is sort of trashed, but he has to save the world, no time to clean.) Im glad they cleaned him up a bit 2nd season,

I love his hair though, to whoever said he should cut it. Plus it goes with his name, Batou the horse headed god.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
secondhandevil

Post by secondhandevil »

I'm a big fan of the outfits they all wore when they infiltrated the err umm what I'll refer to as an oil rig in "Not Equal" the casual-yet-paramilitary look remided me of the private contractors (mercenaries for lack of a better word) that do protection work in Iraq only,sleeker and a little more futuristic.

sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I think that look, as well as the optical camo naked but not naked suit from the movie turned off alot of female viewers that would have otherwise liked her strong character.
It didn't stike me as being something that was meant to be sexual, so I wasn't bothered at all. I actually thought that the effect looked very beautiful and cool. I was attracted to film's character because she seemed like a far more neutral character than most can be for the viewer to experience the issues in the film with (unlike say, Neo or Trinity from the Matrix, with their boring formulaic "we're a male and female protagonist and we're going to fall in love, stuff like that" that they couldn't help but stuff in there as the way to drive the philosophy-filled plot forward). In Ghost in the Shell, the issues of whether I was watching a woman or a man, and what kind of woman or man, were gone (which is good, because I'm sick of the "she's a strong woman, so women should like her" tired line with everything all the time). She was you, standing at a crossroads, staring the future in the face. And analysing it. Nothing more, nothing less. And I thought that was a perfect way to let you into this unique film...

The scene on the boat in the original version of the manga put me off though, as did the revelation that she also has a (kind of ugly) boyfriend that she also plays around with a lot. It just gave me the impression that she was kind of tarty and sleeps with too many people. Which is something that I don't like in a character. It's too... frivilous... and ugly...
Huzzah for the genneral consenses of the Major looking silly runing around in her panties with a bunch of fully clad boys!
I have to say, I don't think it looks silly. I don't think people should be scorned for not wearing enough clothing, so long as it isn't the "show all" show. If it looks cool and it's not immoral, go with it (I'm still with Armitage's original outfit all the way... except for the rhinestones)! I'm still kind of ticked off that I was made to feel bad for wearing my cool frayed hotpants to school as a 16-year-old. What's the big fuss? I wore a cardigan over my rear... :roll:

Oh yeah, and if the boys at section 9 don't care to follow suit, it's their loss. Weird "fighting costume" fashion is fun. It's not Motoko's uniform's fault that other people just don't know how to accept it. I mean if you want to talk silly, wearing white in her line of work is probably silly. But there again, perhaps the fabric was self-cleaning. Anyway, the clothing you wear should be for your own enjoyment, not for everyone else's- if it feels good to be in that white suit and leather jacket (and it probably does; heavy duty enough to put you in a "combat mode" frame of mind, but light and unrestrictive to make you feel like you're one with the wind... yeah, I'd say she probably feels pretty cool in that outfit), then why not? Not everything is about trying to be provocative visual sex-candy for the lads (or some of the women, too), screw people that want to interpret it that way. People (particularly male people) are too easily disposed to thinking that everything to do with women is there for them. "Hey, female character X can kick butt and wears a short skirt! They must have made her like that to turn us on!" Nooo, idiots; a lot of the time she's just like that because it looks cool, it's how she is; and it's as much for women who want to see or play female characters who have cool and interesting fashions that they wear as themselves. That's what I think, anyway. The woman in my avatar wears a miniskirt and a bikini top to go fighting in (originally a red minidress), and I think she looks darn cool like that! Who cares about all the drooling idiots? They can be droolingly idiotic about it, but it isn't going to stop Blaze from cleaning up the mean streets in style!

Also, for further back-up of my opinion, Sailor Moon is a good example. They don't wear those short sailor skirts to turn the guys on. The books are also primarily written for women (well, girls). The woman who wrote it draws them like that because she finds it outrageously cute and appealing, and it makes them kind of cool to her. And loads of women and girls love their look! It's cute, goofy, fun, and yet pristine and formal enough to be perfectly fitting of the champions of justice. And their colour schemes rule (especially Venus' orange, yellow and navy blue one)! And Sailor Mars' "I'll punish you in high heels!" arrival speech (complete with a click of the heels on the floor sound) rules too. Girls being allowed to be themselves without being told off for "pandering" to now negatively-viewed types rules in general... perhaps that's why those all-girl team books like Sailor Moon and shows like Bubbegum Crisis can be so appealing to some of us (well, me at least).

Sorry, rant-ish... I just feel like some groups of people need to just get over themselves as being the centre of every other groups' universe, and that includes something as basic as being female and liking to go light on the clothing...
ryann

Post by ryann »

I am more so torn between the two. I loved the first one, it had so much refrences and little quotes. Not saying the second didnt, it two had refrences, but none that really jumped out to me. The 2nd also should the more human side of Motoko. In total my favorite would have to lie in the first, no praticular reason.
Peace just means nothing fun ever happends.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

It's hard to compare the two since they are so different in what they say and so similar in what they did; they were both groundbreaking in terms of animation and audio. They both had superb soundtracks, settings, characters and story.. but if I had to choose on pain of death presumably being held at gunpoint by some GitS obsessed eccentric(shifty glance at Marto here ;) ) then I'd go for the first film due to it being able to stand entirely on it's own merit. The second film works off the prior one and is thus inherently lesser for being a mere (brilliant)sequel; Ghost in the shell was a first love, innocence was a rebound fling :lol:
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Ghost in the shell was a first love, innocence was a rebound fling
...With psycho-killer dolls! And you barely escaped alive from it, so you aren't ever going back!

...If we were counting that Motoko (in the android's body for 10 minutes), she'd be the most underdressed by far. :lol:
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Im confused, isnt this about which outfit is better in Sac, ....

Anyways Sorry Sylph
have to say, I don't think it looks silly. I don't think people should be scorned for not wearing enough clothing, so long as it isn't the "show all" show.
I guess Im going on a couple things with my pink panty outfit hate'in.

#1I do think it looks silly, sorry, specially when she's getting in the Tachi and her buns are hanging out.

I#2 dont like it cause it bugs me that it is too fan grat, softcore.

I guess if it was something everyone was doing, (though lord, I dont want to see Boma in pink panties) I would be more ok w/ it. I just feel that though 'cool girls' like us get it, it takes away from the credulity to most other women. Also, it "feels" to me like it is a grody man way of making her not threatening, and an object. Even the bi sexuality they give her seems more for the boys getting off reason than her own empowerment to explore her sexuality in any way she feels. Exploitation pisses me off.

I love strong women, and her and Faye from Bebop kick as in centimeters of fabric, but, I prefer they went with sexy but not the softcore thing, like the new uniforms with the cut outs.

In real life, however whatever wear what you want. I'm deff. not a prude, and have broken out pvc thigh highs in my time.

(though the girls Im supposed to be guarding at work at a college in the middle of a poor urban area should maybe think twice and put something over that cami shirt and mini skirt, at least untill theyget to the party. So that they get to get to the party...)

And one more thing, if the boys get all the fan grat, where is ours, I mean, Batou has to take the ocasional shower doesnt he? Pvc or whatever their skin is gets dirty....

The only time you seem to see girl fan grat is in the aeon fux guys stuff, and his stuff is kinda creepy to me. OH and a Marvelous scene of Jin in S. Champaloo, (thanks Sinchiro! :D )

Ok, really Im just teasing, I like story over everything, then style. Some cheesy skinshow is fun, but if its constant and over the top, It turns me off, and feels expliotive. But thats just me.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Tonks_kittygoth wrote:Im confused, isnt this about which outfit is better in Sac, ....
lol, I'm not in the ghost in the shell vs. innocence thread? :shock: :? sorry. :oops: time for me to get some sleep methinks..
AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

secondhandevil wrote:I'm a big fan of the outfits they all wore when they infiltrated the err umm what I'll refer to as an oil rig in "Not Equal" the casual-yet-paramilitary look remided me of the private contractors (mercenaries for lack of a better word) that do protection work in Iraq only,sleeker and a little more futuristic.

You realize those particular Blackwater employees were photographed in my part of the country (I live in New Orleans) and not in Iraq, right? I mean, I know rubble-strewn environments share a certain sameness, but still... just for the record... Different architectural styles and all... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have some funny/scary encounter-with-Blackwater stories, but this is neither the time nor the thread. They arrived in town the weekend after Katrina, courtesy of a lucrative Homeland Security contract...

Still some of them around. Some Blackwater folks are staying in a hotel around the corner and down the street from me.

Sorry, but I spat out my cold drink with something like mirthless laughter when I saw that picture.

Back to topic.
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
secondhandevil

Busted !

Post by secondhandevil »

Yeah actually, I did know that (because there was a caption right under the picture to that effect :D ). I just did a 30 second google search to find a similar picture to what I had seen on GITS and in pics coming outta the sandbox. But their work in Iraq's what they're famous/infamous for. They have contracts all over the world. It sorta makes since that they'd get a contract with DHS,because they've been heavily involved in the training of law-enforcement agencies for years now. Sotty to go OT Yall.

(feel free to PM me with all your scary blackwater/PMC stories)
I used to be sane,I'm better now.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I guess Im going on a couple things with my pink panty outfit hate'in.
I'm confused... I thought you were bashing her white swimsuit and leather jacket outfit. And I thought, "What's so bad about a swimsuit?" Especially if you have cyborg parts, so it wouldn't ride up into bad places during your high kicks or whatever. Looks cool and allows for great mobility/flexibility. ...Um, do you have a picture of the pink underwear outfit? I'm curious to see it.

As a rule, I don't really care for seeing male or female saucy shower scenes, bottom shots, and the like. I'd rather they just cut the female stuff than add the male stuff. This way, it's people only being stupid half the time. Though I feel bad that the straight women got the bum luck with the current situation (as it were :lol: ). I mean, I'm okay with male or female nudity if they don't go for a terribly sexual take on it (i.e. the director's eye being a kind of naughty one), because you know, people are nude under the clothes and who gives a hoot, but I don't like the saucy stuff with either gender. It's just wrong- I don't want to be made to look at my heroes through pervy eyes (slaps SFII anime director across the wrist). :shock:
Tonks_kittygoth

eh, somepeople call it white, some pink, the figure looks light blue, same outfit.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

But it is the white swimsuit and leather jacket outfit, right? The one that could probably be fixed for people like you taking offence at it if she just slipped on a pair of leather trousers (jeans, whatever) over it or something?

Perhaps she should paint camouflague on her legs like SFII's Cammy does? That's kind of like having something covering her legs, too.