Real Optical Camouflage

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Thanks!

With the speed of tech. lately, maybe that will become reality sooner! I hope so.
I wonder why they cant set up something like a tiny lense like on camra phones and a battery pack backpack for those glasses... Obviously they have thought of that, and have some reason, but hopefully tech will be abel to do better than geordie from Star Trek and mannage w/ out the bannana clip.

I was talking to my husband about how we realy do live in a start trek world, but we dont even notice it, because it came slow enough. Sitting at my new station at work im surrounded by computers and monitors, have an unlimited sorce of music, knowledge, etc at my fingertips, and yada yada yada... I dont think a thing of it.

Im more annoyed I cant afford more of it, than anything. ... wow, do I feel like a brat when i think of it that way.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Did you see that documentary by William Shatner on The History Channel? That was really funny :)
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

the how william shatner saved the world or something like that? Yeh it was funny, and I liked how he pointed out how many inventions are made because of sci fi. The scientist see it, or read it and say, I want one! So they make it!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Here's a new article I found on the National Geographic News site saying that "Invisibility Cloaks Possible, Study Says". Basically, it claims that it is perfectly possible to divert radar, microwaves and even light waves!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ibile.html
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Well, now they even tested it and it seems to work!

Invisibility Cloak Successfully Tested, Scientists Say
A group of scientists from the United States and Britain have successfully tested the world’s first invisibility cloak, almost completely hiding a copper cylinder so little more than a small shadow could be seen, the Associated Press reports via the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

The cloak still cannot yet hide people or objects as in science fiction, but the scientists involved say the idea is conceptually feasible, according to the AP.

The scientists employed microwaves—which reflect off matter like light or radar waves so that it’s possible to detect them and their shadows with the proper instruments—to test the cloak, the AP reports.

If an object can be “cloaked” from microwaves, it can also be hidden from radar, according to the AP, and the military implications of such a possibility are immense...

Elmo

Post by Elmo »

That's so very 'cool', although having said that I'm dreading the day the government get their hands on a practical working version of this - they manage to crush privacy enough as it is. :gabu:
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

In that research they also said that making visible light frequencies invisible is much harder and possibly impossible task - it'd require nano-level engineering and in nano-level the substances work in different ways.

And if it's privacy you're worried about, invisibility is the least of your concerns, unless you live in totalitarian state where even saying wrong things about the goverment can get you arrested. In different kind of nations it just doesn't pay to spy on general public in such small-scale manner. It's the Internet monitoring that you should worry about, as well as large-scale govermental camera-networks. Some agents in invisibility-cloaks couldn't do a fraction of what those two systems can do routinely.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

yeah, what i really worry about is a repeat of the whole NSA warrantless surviellence and wire tapping that went on in the US. World governments tend to pick up a few bad habits from america, 'city-on-the-hill' and all...
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
richard09

Post by richard09 »

Lightice wrote:And if it's privacy you're worried about, invisibility is the least of your concerns, unless you live in totalitarian state where even saying wrong things about the goverment can get you arrested. In different kind of nations it just doesn't pay to spy on general public in such small-scale manner. It's the Internet monitoring that you should worry about, as well as large-scale govermental camera-networks. Some agents in invisibility-cloaks couldn't do a fraction of what those two systems can do routinely.
If you look at the UK now, they have video cameras all over the place, and are using recognition software to track faces and car licence plates. They use software to analyse your spending patterns on credit cards and store cards. They can tap all your phone calls and emails, and monitor your internet use. If you are arrested, they take and keep a sample of your DNA, even if the charges are dropped and they let you go. If you are convicted of something and get probation, they electronically tag you, to keep track of you. Smart cards are used in schools, so the children can be tracked, and what they eat and what books they borrow can be monitored. Of course, international travel is monitored. And the government is pressing forward with biometric passports and identity cards.

They don't need invisibility. They have destroyed any concept of privacy already.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

richard09 wrote:If you look at the UK now, they have video cameras all over the place, and are using recognition software to track faces and car licence plates. They use software to analyse your spending patterns on credit cards and store cards. They can tap all your phone calls and emails, and monitor your internet use. If you are arrested, they take and keep a sample of your DNA, even if the charges are dropped and they let you go. If you are convicted of something and get probation, they electronically tag you, to keep track of you. Smart cards are used in schools, so the children can be tracked, and what they eat and what books they borrow can be monitored. Of course, international travel is monitored. And the government is pressing forward with biometric passports and identity cards.

They don't need invisibility. They have destroyed any concept of privacy already.
I don't know why to say it's only in the UK, especially knowing that everything privacy-related in that country is actually (indirectly) done by the NSA, which is american :roll:

Probably one of the most privacy secured (from a citizen prospective) country is France, as "la commission Informatique et Libertés" has managed to keep most of the different entities of the government NOT linked to each other for everything that is privacy related. And believe me (I'm from there), it IS the case. In comparison, Canada is totalitarian. :wink:

Marf

Post by Marf »

THYREN wrote:
richard09 wrote:If you look at the UK now, they have video cameras all over the place, and are using recognition software to track faces and car licence plates. They use software to analyse your spending patterns on credit cards and store cards. They can tap all your phone calls and emails, and monitor your internet use. If you are arrested, they take and keep a sample of your DNA, even if the charges are dropped and they let you go. If you are convicted of something and get probation, they electronically tag you, to keep track of you. Smart cards are used in schools, so the children can be tracked, and what they eat and what books they borrow can be monitored. Of course, international travel is monitored. And the government is pressing forward with biometric passports and identity cards.

I don't know why to say it's only in the UK, especially knowing that everything privacy-related in that country is actually (indirectly) done by the NSA, which is american :roll:
Indeed, Echelon is a Joint UK(MI*)/US(NSA) operation, and all UK internet traffic goes through GCHQ(Hi guys, how you doing? ;) )

We now have 20% of the worlds CCTV cameras located in our small island, as well as Cameras with speakers and microphones on. Orwell would be rolling in his grave.

Biometric ID Cards are a stepping stone to the Chip. The technology is there now and once the NIR infrastructure is in place it'll only be a matter of time.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I do not particularly like the whole ID card idea... I don't know why, but for some reason it feels like that's going too far. They haven't chosen the best words to try to sell us on it either, if you know what I mean- "biometric" sounds so sinister. I guess it annoys me because it sems related to the passport reform that the USA was (is still?) trying to force us into having for it's sake (of course we care about US security, but I dislike that the rest of the world should revolve around it).

As to CCTV (the cameras in the streets), I've never had a problem with it. I grew up with it, so I'm used to it; besides which the cameras are invisible. It's not like you feel that big brother is watching you (by the way, I think Orwell would be rolling in his grave even more over the stupid long-running "reality" tv programme of the same name). In the case of CCTV, it really is useful in catching criminals- I think it's helpful when, for example, they'd show footage on those "Crimewatch" appeals and sometimes members of the public phone in with useful information. They were able to track the route of the July 05 London bombers using CCTV, too. I kind of wish we had CCTV cameras in the private road behind where I lived as there's often trouble; but the police are not allowed to put them up there :(
-Animae-

Post by -Animae- »

And all the nonsense about the war on terror and liberty and democracy.
Seems like the terrorist have already won, they attack as a reaction to the western way of life, and they are already on their way to ruin it.
Who said that terrorism was a bad approach?
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks--those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Sylphisonic wrote: As to CCTV (the cameras in the streets), I've never had a problem with it. I grew up with it, so I'm used to it; besides which the cameras are invisible. It's not like you feel that big brother is watching you (by the way, I think Orwell would be rolling in his grave even more over the stupid long-running "reality" tv programme of the same name). In the case of CCTV, it really is useful in catching criminals- I think it's helpful when, for example, they'd show footage on those "Crimewatch" appeals and sometimes members of the public phone in with useful information. They were able to track the route of the July 05 London bombers using CCTV, too. I kind of wish we had CCTV cameras in the private road behind where I lived as there's often trouble; but the police are not allowed to put them up there :(

It's pretty much proved that CCTV doesn't decrease crime. It just pushes it away from the eyes of the tourists. And while at the moment it's not incredibly big problem for privacy, it can quickly become such, if the laws dictating its use get changed. I don't have problems with cameras in shopping centers and subway stations, but I don't want it to be possible to follow every step of my commute, at any time. Not because of anything to hide, but because I have the right to privacy in my affairs. I don't want to be a suspect because my behaviour pattern might resemble one of a potential terrorist.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Well said.

And like you say, CCTV itself does not reduce crime, it does however give the public the feeling of safety.
They were able to track the route of the July 05 London bombers using CCTV, too.
Yep, but the numerous cameras covering the scenes of the whole menezes debacle just happened to be out of order.
Who said that terrorism was a bad approach?
It's had the desired effect for western intelligence agencies, thats for sure.