Real Optical Camouflage

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Hideo Kuze

Post by Hideo Kuze »

actually ur wrong about that Spica.

The black paint is actually a cocktail of exotic materials created into a type of Radar Absorbant material. One of the materials that comprises that paint is actually Iron XD. Imagine that, something so old has a new use.

Look at the F-22 Raptor, it does not have that black paint, it uses Low-observable technology in the form of shapes and deflection of radar away from the source.
Spica

Post by Spica »

When I said that, "you just need to give a stealth plane a black paint job." I ment that you should use a black stealth coating, as opposed to a blue one (which is sometimes used for day time missions).
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Y'know, we talk so much about so many things, I just think that a scientist would be more than impressed if they came to this forum to look at all of the ideas that we throw together. :)
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Decoy

Post by Decoy »

Remember that movie Predator? Well, some U.S. Army general was watching that, and when he saw the predators Active Camo for the first time he jumped up and exclaimed "I want one of those!" since then the Army has been working on it. They have yet to make anything resembleing a useable product, but apparently they think they are getting close since they claim it will be ready by the time the "Land Warrior" project is feilded.

I'd like to see what kind of havok those D-boys would wreck if they where given Active Camo, heh heh heh.
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot further with a smile and a gun." Al Capone
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

It's hardly high-tech but in a wood on an RAF base near me they have what looks like an old pillbox covered in mirrors. I don't know what they're doing with it but it's pretty much invisible :lol:

The main problem that i can see them running up against with RL thermoptics(I haven't read any of the info on any of the research projects) would be that a material to have an image projected on would be extremely visible by neccesity of being very lightly coloured and a transparent material for the image to be projected through would lose resolution unless it was via some sort of LC net or superfine fibre optics. It's all fairly redundant imo anyway, avoiding electronic/radar detection is far more important in most situations for vehicles and individuals can far more effectively conceal themselves with a well prepared ghillie suit which will also mask any heat you give of, whereas in an urban enviroment it's easier to blend in with people than your surrondings; who is more invisible, the man creeping around like a ninja with a blurred image of what's behind him projected in front of him or one of many passerbys wearing a run of the mill suit?.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Decoy

Post by Decoy »

I just remembered something, the first step in active camo is electro-pigment clothing with preset patterns. Which, logic and my gut tell me, is in preliminary testing in "Black Project" R&D labs. (see electronic paper. For those who don't know, "Black Project" means any top secret project which is disavowed by the U.S. Govt, the projects have a very large fund reffered to simply as, you guessed it, Black Projects. Black Bird, the U-2, and the NightHawk are examples of Black Projects gone public)
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot further with a smile and a gun." Al Capone
Marf

Post by Marf »

Decoy wrote:I just remembered something, the first step in active camo is electro-pigment clothing with preset patterns. Which, logic and my gut tell me, is in preliminary testing in "Black Project" R&D labs.
I'm with you in this, with the advances in electronic paper, it wont be long until there is colour electronic paper, then make a suit out of that, hook up some fancy cameras to it and hey presto, the surroundings are dispyed on your clothing and you become invisible.

Check out the end of the "A Scanner Darkly" trailer...
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Marf wrote:
Decoy wrote:I just remembered something, the first step in active camo is electro-pigment clothing with preset patterns. Which, logic and my gut tell me, is in preliminary testing in "Black Project" R&D labs.
I'm with you in this, with the advances in electronic paper, it wont be long until there is colour electronic paper, then make a suit out of that, hook up some fancy cameras to it and hey presto, the surroundings are dispyed on your clothing and you become invisible.

Check out the end of the "A Scanner Darkly" trailer...
What?! They made (are making) a movie of A Scanner Darkly! (Me loves me my Philip K. Dick)... sorry I'm so off topic.

Goes to find a trailer. :)
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Ok this is sort of the oppisite of camoflage, but it is very very cool.

Apparently, they are makings tech that allows the user to "see with there tongue."

They clip some thingymabob on your tongue and it somehow gives you
"superhuman senses like Owls, Snakes and Fish."

Supercool also is the civilian tech. that may come from it. Apparntly blind people who use this can find there way to doors, and catch balls thrown to them.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/04/24/tong ... index.html
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I'd like to see what kind of havok those D-boys would wreck if they where given Active Camo, heh heh heh.
What is a "D-boy"?
who is more invisible, the man creeping around like a ninja with a blurred image of what's behind him projected in front of him or one of many passerbys wearing a run of the mill suit?
You make a very good point! I vote for the boring suited guy!
Decoy

Post by Decoy »

What is a "D-boy"?
D-boy is military slang for a member of the 1st Special Forces Operational Detatchment, Airborne, Delta (1st SFOD-A-D). AKA Delta Force.

And as far as cybernetic sences go, there is a;ready a guy with VERY rudimentary prosthetic eyes. He sees in monocrome, and at VERY low res (can't remember the exact details of it).
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Decoy wrote: And as far as cybernetic sences go, there is a;ready a guy with VERY rudimentary prosthetic eyes. He sees in monocrome, and at VERY low res (can't remember the exact details of it).
NO way! Really? Where did you find that? Can you get me a link?
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Tonks_kittygoth wrote:
Decoy wrote: And as far as cybernetic sences go, there is a;ready a guy with VERY rudimentary prosthetic eyes. He sees in monocrome, and at VERY low res (can't remember the exact details of it).

Hmm...I've seen the same thing, but can't seem to find it, at the moment. If I remember correctly, they were actually some sort of glasses with cameras - nothing really stuck into the eye-sockets, themselves. I also think that she was a woman. There's lots of experiments going on, at the moment that give the blind some level of eyesight, often via the nerve-ends normally used for tasting or hearing.

There was also an experiment, where people who had been blind from birth gained sight with small, but delicate brain-surgery. Needless to say, it was a rather shocking experience to them. For example, one reported fear towards black objects that stalk everybody's feet - the things most of us call shadows. They also had troubles in adapting to depth-perception, which made walking the stairs rather frightening experience.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Tonks_kittygoth wrote:
I remember seeing that on the news musta been about 5 years ago now, the resolution was something like 5x5 in grayscale squares.
AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

This what you folks are talking about?

http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/vi ... =218392534
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi