Different versions of GitS?

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

Spica

Post by Spica »

I think the puppetmaster has a male voice in the Japanese version. If that is true, then it would make sense to re-dub the english language version with the puppetmaster having a male voice. Back in the early days of english language anime, companies were more prone to errors such as these.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
sail65506

Hmmm...

Post by sail65506 »

Motoko2030 wrote:The only two versions of Ghost in the Shell is in one of the versions, the Puppet Master's voice is female instead of male and the dialogue line when Motoko tells the pilot to blast the skyline.
Could someone explain this bit to me...
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

If you have seen the Ghost in the Shell movie that came out in 1995, you will know that the Puppetmaster is in a female body with a male voice and that when the dialogue of Motoko ordering the chopper pilot to fire on the skyline of the warehouse was gabbled to me at least. On the Special Edition version of Ghost in the Shell, there is a trailer for the film that has the Puppetmaster's voice as female rather than male and the same dialogue between Motoko and the chopper pilot is different, it now says "blast the skyline now"
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

Judging by the signature and the username it sure looks like sail65506 could be a spambot. Just have a script quote a message and ask for an explanation. It could be done, right? :?

Checking the other posts reveal rather generic oneliners as well, which could concievably have been generated in response to certain words found in the quoted post.

Prove that you are human, sail65506! :twisted:

Or prove that you are an advanced AI - I'm sure that'd be ok too. ;)
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Gillsing wrote:Judging by the signature and the username it sure looks like sail65506 could be a spambot. Just have a script quote a message and ask for an explanation. It could be done, right? :?

Checking the other posts reveal rather generic oneliners as well, which could concievably have been generated in response to certain words found in the quoted post.

Prove that you are human, sail65506! :twisted:

Or prove that you are an advanced AI - I'm sure that'd be ok too. ;)
I'm in the process of getting this taken care of. That is sail65506 if you are real you should prove it quick otherwise you may end up banned.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Why would a spam bot take interests in the topic and ask for a further explination?

Maybe he is a spam bot, but this discusion interested him. lol.
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

Well, if it is a spam bot it might be programmed to spew out random generic stuff in order to make people believe that it's a person, which might save the bot's posts from being deleted and also lure people to click the links while they would otherwise avoid any link if they regonised the poster as a spam bot.

Just because someone/something types "could someone explain this bit to me" doesn't necessarily mean that they really want an explanation. It could be a phrase that just looks valid while it's actually just a big fat bluff. Like saying a phrase in a foreign language in the hopes of tricking a native speaker into believing that you're one of them. The more generic the phrase is, the less the risk is that it clashes so much against something that it's evident that the poster doesn't know or care what's actually being discussed in the thread.

The commercial link is quite a giveaway though. If it wasn't for that I would've chalked it up to yet another random internet dweller who isn't too keen on typing long and specific messages such as this one.
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

True Gillsing....

I will spam this thread no longer. However I did learn my one new thing for the day :)
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Odd....I'm obsessive about the first movie (as many of you know if you remember me) and I've never heard of a 77, nor a 100+ minute version of the film. Only the 83 minute one. As for the dub where motoko yells at the pilot to 'Shoot the window! NOW!' in a very loud voice and the puppeteer's voice is female, where can I find that version?

m.m.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Marto, the only place that I have seen the Puppetmaster's voice is female instead of male is a trailer on the second disc on the Ghost in the Shell Special Edition DVD.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I wish they had a name given for the song used in that trailer. I found it to be very good, and even after hours of searching, have found nothing. But indeed, sad that there isn't any version with a female puppetmaster voice. :) It sounded very pretty.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
H-street

Post by H-street »

so while on this topic, i've seen a version of the '95 movie called Ghost in the Shell Final Edition..

which is supposidely a reworked version of the movie but i have been unable to find it anywhere (did it just come in the Solid Box?)

anyone have any info on what exactly the Final Edition is?
])R@G()N

Post by ])R@G()N »

I made this point in a few posts now, but if u are itnerested in knowing an alternate version of the dialog try turning your dvds to japanese and watching the subtitle tracks, if u have multiple versions of the film even better, you will be shocked how much the dialog changes version to version.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I never heard of Ghost in the Shell Final Version, H-street can u remember what parts were redone in that version.

I am hoping that if they release another version of the Ghost in the Shell film that it will include any scenes with dialogue that was original before they decided to change the dialogue, like the Puppetmaster having a female voice instead of a male voice.

H-street, the only other version that I have seen is called Ghost in the Shell Special Edition, that is a re-mastered version in visuals and audio and it comes in a two disc set.