Innocence novel by Masaki Yamada

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

Spica

Post by Spica »

his electronic brain never dreams
Hmm, thats weird. Doesn't Motoko dream about her cyberization at the begining of the first movie, and in the manga continuity there is at least one reference to cyborgs dreaming (during the making of a cyborg sequence in the first manga). I don't see why he wouldn't dream, its doubtful that cyberization would damage his brain in a way so that he no longer experienced REM sleep. Also, if he could no longer experience REM sleep, wouldn't he be constantly fatigued (its during REM sleep that we experience rest).
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

just finished the book. i liked it. i through some extra tidbits about the "dolls and dogs" delimma in humanity...it also gets into the theme of innocence. my favorite is the theory of consciusness being an evolved development somewhat similar to the "boid models"--specifically models of the mass movements of birds in flight...interesting. i'm gonna haftra reread.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I loved the clear descriptions in the book. It was just nice and relaxing. Which part did any of you get lost on? A few of you mentioned something about having to reread in order to fully understand it, but in my opinion, from anything ever to be released from the K.K. franchise, this was the easiest to follow. I found the extras in the back to be extremely fun to read. Definatelly nice explanations of the dolls and dogs bits in the movie.
I sure hope that there is a follow-up.

m.m.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

The dreaming thing bugged me too. I think that may have been a Yamada thing that got through.
Also it doesnt really make sense because he dreams a stack of times in it.
They were sad though...
Though I cant remember if that was something to do with being hacked... Have to re read.

I love Dashell Hammett, and "hard boiled" detective fiction that Yamada was going for, so it was a shoe in for me.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama