2nd Gig episode: "Pat." (warning: spoilers)

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

miki-chan

2nd Gig episode: "Pat." (warning: spoilers)

Post by miki-chan »

Why was it so important to erase the tachikomas' memory of their creator? Were they afraid of someone hacking the tachikoma and using that data to track down the scientist?
Very gloomy closing line from the Major--reminiscent of the first movie where she and Batou contemplate whether their gov't funded bodies means the gov't owns their souls too...
On a lighter note--
SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Bishonen alert!!!!! Bishonen alert!!!!! Where have they been hiding that cutie Proto, and how do I get his phone number? He may actually displace Togusa in my twisted fantasies... (wipes drool off keyboard as the nice men in white coats bring her the meds and a straitjacket) :mrgreen: :twisted:
"Smoke and idiots love high places."--Batou
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I also like Proto, he seems to care more for the Tachikomas than the investigators do.

I don't know why Motoko wanted the memories of their creator erased, maybe since he is a state scientist, he can't leave his mark on any of his work, so Motoko was just following the law.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

What I got from this episode is the tachi's creator is a brilliant man, inventor if you would. In exchange for "inventing" for the government and getting top-notch equipment, he had to give up his rights to his works. As far as I read into things, Motoko was simply following the law.

I really liked this episode. Reminisce of the Tachikoma from the first gig.
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

Perhaps she didn't want them to remember their creator because that memory could lead to a kind of loyalty toward that memory which may interfere with their loyalty to Section 9?
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Gillsing wrote:Perhaps she didn't want them to remember their creator because that memory could lead to a kind of loyalty toward that memory which may interfere with their loyalty to Section 9?

That sounds quite possible. In past they fought against goverment troops to save Batou. If they developed a similar affection to this guy, it would be serious vulnerability for them.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
shadowferret

Post by shadowferret »

Like everyone's said, it's probably to keep them loyal to Section 9.
Also, I'm guessing, if they had memories, they'd be hesitant if the guy ever tried leaving Japan. (didn't he try it?) Also, think about it, if you knew your father was out there somewhere, wouldn't you think of escaping and finding him? Tachikomas would probably try the same thing.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I enjoyed that episode a lot. I am simply amazed at the fast growth that the tachikomas are developing though! It's astonishing how much they're managing to accomplish. Compared to season 1, the second season seems to really be the place where tachikomas shine the most.

As for the creator, it's just as motoko put it - all of them are nothing more than government slaves, and same with the creator. His 'children', if you may, can be nothing more than something of the past for him, and something to repair. I guess he wanted to flee simply because of the painful experience of having what was like a kid ripped away from him.

As for Proto - was that his first appearance? He seems like an amazingly cool character! I hope he stays constant in appearance. >_> He's a ton better than the two new goddamn rookies. Bored of their work....pfe! As togusa said, they're TOO green at their job!
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

PAT is the first episode where we get to see Proto.
douyang

Post by douyang »

Do we see Proto, Azuma, or any of the other newbies getting seriously involved with any of the episode storylines or the main individual eleven/refugee storyline? It seems to me that for the moment at least they're just sitting on the backburner with no real purpose. We don't see them in previous episodes working directly with or having much contact with the more experienced personnel. Is there any hint as to why section 9 even needed new blood to begin with?
cowboyfunk22

Post by cowboyfunk22 »

douyang wrote:Do we see Proto, Azuma, or any of the other newbies getting seriously involved with any of the episode storylines or the main individual eleven/refugee storyline? It seems to me that for the moment at least they're just sitting on the backburner with no real purpose. We don't see them in previous episodes working directly with or having much contact with the more experienced personnel. Is there any hint as to why section 9 even needed new blood to begin with?
I haven't seen the rest of the season so this is all conjecture. BUT, Kusanagi had a quote where she said the greatest threats to section 9 was an enemy with much greater numbers. Perhaps they are taking on new recruits to bulk up. Its true that no one in section 9 seems like theyd want anything to do with a noob that wasn't Togusa (who is far from being as green as those two guys). So they must feel its really critical.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

cold

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

The Major's super cold attitude makes me not like her sometimes. Sometimes it seems like her slavishness to authority quashes her humanity. Like when she sent the Tachikomas off to die.

Maybe she is just jealous of Batou's attention, like someone trying to send thier uh, not boyfiend but more than regular' friend's dog to the pound, then when he gets it back, kicking it when he isnt looking.
(joking ok)

Anyways I doubt the scientist will really delete thier memory, just probaly move it and warn them not to tell the scary major.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama