20th Anniversary of this Site!

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Should I modernise the "In the Shell" site? (Tell me how in the discussion below!)

Yes! It's missing so much, and the look is so "old 2K".
No votes
Partly--but leave the forums alone!
100%
No! I love the old-school look/I never look at the site itself anyway.
No votes
Abandon the whole project. All discussions should take place in the presence of our Facebook overlords.
No votes

Total votes: 3

Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

20th Anniversary of this Site!

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

This site is approaching its 20th anniversary--which seems amazing to me! I began this project back in 1999, when web design was a cantankerous beast at best and the main way to link your site to others was through web rings. It feels like most fan sites disappeared as social media conglomerates came to dominate online interactions, and I have to admit I haven't done much of anything with the site itself in ages--but it's still up there! And these boards remain alive, if at times only just ...

I'd love to update the site in a major way during the next year, just as a way of renewing my connection to GitS and as a thank-you to everyone who's come by over the last forever of time (well, in web years). This will include updating the site itself and adding new sections for bits I've missed. But what else? What would you like to see? Should I change the look of the forums as well?
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I'm not allowed on Facebook. I categorically vote against that option.

I think the forum archives provide a wealth of data that I mine whenever I send someone new to watch a video about GitS or drag them over to my place to read or watch GitS. So please don't lose that.

A newer PHPBB or other forum may make managing the site easier and avoid some of the script kiddy hacks of the older code.

I've helped out on a site or two and ran my own for a very short while. If you need a hand I'm available and I'm really good at database stuff.

I don't know which selection to vote though.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Hard to say. I vote to update however you want...but it is cool to have access to all of the discussion history. Wish I was as intelligent as some of our long lost members to keep it lively...but the online culture has certainly shifted away from well thought-out essays.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

GhostLine wrote:...but the online culture has certainly shifted away from well thought-out essays.
Truer words are seldom spoken.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Agree! (Now, where's my "Like" button? lol)
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Dropped by. Read there was new material coming. Read a bunch more. Voted. Posted for the first time in so many years. Felt strange, but fun!

About the update, Jeff, I can hardly believe you have the will for it after such a long time, especially after the disappointing mobile metamorphosis of the interwebses.

Is it nostalgia? Free time? Something else?
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

As much nostalgia as anything lol. Plus a big dose of annoyance at the ad-heavy, Facebook-dominated internet of today. And just want to play around with new HTML/CSS capabilities. And I'm amazed that anything I created 20 years ago is still out there.
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

One of the best business web sites on the web is BOB
http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/index.php

It's a highly customized phpBB 2 site. Internally it diverged from original recipe phpBB a long time ago in significant ways. phpBB is far from dead. I'd just call it a mature technology these days.

I too am disappointed by the aggregation of people to sites like Facebook, and when Google Plus falls off the map later this year it's just going to turn into a smaller pool. Centralization is almost uniformly always bad. And the siloing of the mobile app takes data out of the public searchable sphere. Also bad.