General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Sergeant X

Post by Sergeant X »

ohcool, you're that guy.
I enjoyed the first vid

lets see - too much evidence of the plot comparisons between the manga
(we get it after maybe 3 or 4)
but then I guess it helps to provide a bunch of source material to talk about later

whoa, you like really respond to yr youtube comments

Freitag brought up the point that since human beings created 2501 it was actually the AI that merged with 'God' and not the other way around. I tend to see it the other way around but I think his viewpoint'd be useful for analyzing the second film

Regarding Shirow's beliefs on AI
(I've only seen the series and haven't read the manga)
The series tries to justify the concept of the 'ghost' (to 'immanate the divine' in a sense) by merging Dawkin's selish gene with gaia theory basically the self-replicating mechanism gives rise to an 'organism' (or an 'assemblage' of sorts) of increasing complexity where the whole is something other than the sum of its parts.
Watching and thinking about all of this makes me want to read Koestler's book. I think the concept of the 'holon' is key to understanding all of this and may actually provide (at least in part) a decent argument for something like 'free will' or 'rational agency' given even a (seemingly) deterministic material framework.

yo, you should check out this Baudrillard essay on JG Ballard's Crash http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/backissues/55 ... d55art.htm (kinda weird subject matter, I know) he sort of explains here the concept of post-cyberpunk fiction being a simulation and not so much about the future as it is of the present (albeit in a stereotypically obtuse manner)

anyways thanks for sharing the video - much enjoyed

(btw, HYDRAdude sucks and Wikipedia is the greatest information resource in the globalized world)
“Poets are always taking the weather so personally. They're always sticking their emotions in things that have no emotions.”
GhostLine

good job

Post by GhostLine »

Liked the new breakdown. Good acknowledgement of the syncretistic nature in GitS...and although multi-cultural samplings are quite common in Japanese works as suggested, part of me also thinks it is part of the premise of the interconnectivity of the Net, where even the start of the film mentions that "the advance of computerization, however, has NOT YET wiped out nations and ethnic groups." To me, that suggests the inevitability of the blurring of cultural constructs.

I often saw the Masamune Shirow's work as graphic essays...where he didn't mind introducing his thoughts on page even if not fully formulated or resolved...so I agree that the film's screenwriter deserves a lot of credit for cleaning up that mess.
:)