Masamune Shirow 1998 Interview

Talk about the Ghost in the Shell manga here!

Moderator: sonic

Ghostless

Masamune Shirow 1998 Interview

Post by Ghostless »

http://www.jai2.com/MSivu.htm

Very interesting. Especially when the writer states that the Ghost In The Shell movie was financed with the help of manga entertainment, which I though was just the UK editor.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

So much win!
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Ghostless

Post by Ghostless »

Freitag wrote:So much win!
I didn't quite follow Shirow's work but it's hard to imagine when I read this interview, that Shirow's nowadays works only consists of hentai artbooks.

I mean it's very well drawn but I feel like he didn't put his talents at work on the right..."field" let's say.

Best part of the interview is when the translator had looked for days for a term that Shirow had,in the end, made up,lol
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Ghostless wrote:
I didn't quite follow Shirow's work but it's hard to imagine when I read this interview, that Shirow's nowadays works only consists of hentai artbooks.

I mean it's very well drawn but I feel like he didn't put his talents at work on the right..."field" let's say.

Best part of the interview is when the translator had looked for days for a term that Shirow had,in the end, made up,lol
He did hentai before GitS too (and probably during as well)

It's a different culture over there. Even in the post-Christian parts of USA we have societal norms that have been established for years. If they are post something over there, it's post-animism. So yeah, different starting point, different trajectory, different place today. Reminds me of a can of drink my brother game me that came from Brazil. It was a soft drink based on Guarana and tasted vaguely like cream soda. It was made by a company that also made beer. Over here that would be like Coke and Coors merging into one company. We just don't do that kind of thing.

It also means that I double check that "safe search" is turned on any time I go looking for news about the guy.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Ghostless

Post by Ghostless »

Freitag wrote:
Ghostless wrote:

He did hentai before GitS too (and probably during as well)

It's a different culture over there. Even in the post-Christian parts of USA we have societal norms that have been established for years. If they are post something over there, it's post-animism. So yeah, different starting point, different trajectory, different place today. Reminds me of a can of drink my brother game me that came from Brazil. It was a soft drink based on Guarana and tasted vaguely like cream soda. It was made by a company that also made beer. Over here that would be like Coke and Coors merging into one company. We just don't do that kind of thing.

It also means that I double check that "safe search" is turned on any time I go looking for news about the guy.
I don't mind the hentai as long as he provides interesting materials sparking reflexion you know.

I'm from France, a christian rooted country with a lot of muslims & jewish. When I open this kind of book I try to set aside my personal beliefs to open my mind as much as possible. So the "problem" isn't whether Shirow's artwork is religiously,socially acceptable.

The thing is that the last manga he published is Human Error Process,which goes back to 1998(or 2003 is we refer to the english editing).

http://kidfenris.blogspot.fr/2010/03/ri ... hirow.html

This article sum up a bit my thoughts.

I remember the chills down my spin during Motoko's speech at the end of the first movie. Just speechless.

And Coke & Coors merging ? lol at the antitrust issues
Joseph Jeram

Interview

Post by Joseph Jeram »

Thanks for sharing that, I found some of the points in the interview really interesting. It's just a same there wasn't time for further elaboration.

I've always though Shirow came across as quite intellectual in his manga but in a slightly superficial way. He seems to present a vast amount of information and concepts but (as the interview states) it is largely presented as a sort of 'background noise' which the reader deduces meaning from rather than Shirow dictating his personal meaning.

And to address the Hentai discussion...
Ghost in Shell has always had some blatant eroticism. Although I do admit I have had a bit of a difficulty trying to justify Motoko as a good example of a feminism when I equally she could just be an erotic fantasy... I'm still not sure of my mind on that one. I guess it is in part to what you guys have been discussing, cultural difference. It seems to me from what I've seen of Japanese media, they have a sense of humor about what in the West is largely considered perversion.