How to rip my GitS DVDs to watch whole on the road?

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

Freitag

How to rip my GitS DVDs to watch whole on the road?

Post by Freitag »

So I got this new computer....

On my old one ripping took FOREVER and so I never got around to doing more than the first episode as proof of concept.

I'm using HandBrake 0.9.5 (the latest version)

When I try to encode now I get a few minutes of chugging along, then it says it's done, but the resultant file is only 22K and does not play.

I'm using default settings. H.264

Any ideas?

The DVD plays great so it's not a hardware problem.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Hmm, maybe it was the audio codec... I am trying again with MP# instead of AAC and it seems to be behaving much better

And, it thinks the episode will encode in 8 minutes (beats the heck out of my old rig which took about 12 hours to do one episode)

EDIT: premature joy. No audio on the file and the video had awful artefacts.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Hmm, OK, I think I have it working. The solution is sub-optimal though.

I have to DVD the disk to my hard drive and then use HandBrake from there. So really HandBrake is simply transcoding from whatever format .VOB is to H.264.

The video quality is fantastic on my Android phone.

I thought I had set it to English, but it came over in Japanese, so I'm re-doing it.

The file size drops from ~850 MB to ~250MB (give or take 20MB depending on the file) so I will be able to fit a ton of them on my 16GB SD card :D

These long trips will get way more entertaining now tha tI can take my DVD library with me.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Perfect timing. Although I had found a solution for myself, a friend informed me that today there is a free DVD ripper!

On the third GitS where I tested it, it only ripped 2 of the 4 episodes, but they came out looking great.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/winxdvd ... -platinum/
John_234

Post by John_234 »

I know this is a little late, but isn't it easier to find a high quality torrent and just download someone else's quality ripping?
"If I believe I have a ghost, I will." Is this true? That's quite a controversy.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

John_234 wrote:I know this is a little late, but isn't it easier to find a high quality torrent and just download someone else's quality ripping?
That falls under the heading of 'yes, but...'

The RIAA trolls set up honey pot sites and grab IP addresses from people and I think have even infiltrated TOR. And they won't care if you have a licensed original, they claim the act of downloading is the illegal part. They'd stop you form ripping it if the could too!

And the temptation to pull some other rip down for another title that I have not already bought would be a little too close for comfort.
SamusTheHunter

Post by SamusTheHunter »

Can you just rip from the DVD by copy and pasting the "stuff" into your video or music area? or..what?
Samus loves Adam <3
Roy loves Riza <3
I love my pencil and paper <3
~I don't take shit from anyone. Don't forget that~
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Yes and no. It depends on the disk. If there is any DRM in it at all, then it won't work.

You still have to use a DVD player to watch it because the video and the audio are contained in different files and have to be merged at play time.

Using softqware to rip the disk works every time though. And you get to make sure that everyting is in a common format. For instance for my old phone I only had 160x160 screen so I could make the files really small and fit a lot of them on my memory card. That's the downside of the new phones - 800x480 - the file sizes are larger.