GITS Movie Motoko
23%
GITS Manga Motoko
25%
GITS SAC Motoko
52%

Total votes: 52

Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Slightly better version of the Hard Disk figure:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14802581@N ... 346356204/

As for MMI, well enough said. I haven't read it but almost every panel I've seen had some flesh showing somewhere :P

I mean people complain about Fan Service in SAC, it makes SAC look like a kids play video ;)
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Chesire Cat

Post by Chesire Cat »

Her outfit in Stand Alone Complex actually resembles MMI very much. People just whine too much about the series. A little fan service and a little skin never hurt the franchise lol. It's just a style, which was even toned down a lot (considering Shirow's thing for quasi-bondage outfits). I mean, no one said this was for the kiddos anyway.
For she had often seen a cat without a grin, but never a grin without a cat
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Chesire Cat wrote:Her outfit in Stand Alone Complex actually resembles MMI very much. People just whine too much about the series. A little fan service and a little skin never hurt the franchise lol. It's just a style, which was even toned down a lot (considering Shirow's thing for quasi-bondage outfits). I mean, no one said this was for the kiddos anyway.
The show was intended for mature audience due to its dialogue and overall complexity. Personally I don't get why sometimes kids try and act like they like it, when in reality you can tell they simply say they do so they can sound more intellectual.

There are exceptions, however. On this site, for example, many members, including myself, started out as young teens.

As for Motoko, her MMI appearance is one of the most impressionable ones for me. Especially the teen one. And Motoko as a child was rather scary. She looked creepily serious and actually very angry.

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Rien

Post by Rien »

marto_motoko wrote: The show was intended for mature audience due to its dialogue and overall complexity. Personally I don't get why sometimes kids try and act like they like it, when in reality you can tell they simply say they do so they can sound more intellectual.

mm
The human need to feed the ego with many people choosing the thrive to be "special" route. I used to be like that in high school until I finally realized that no one is truly "special" in the sense of being completely unique; we all have our individual traits/quirks, but no one is truly "one of a kind".

Back on topic; I voted for SAC Motoko. It's the purple hair despite how she dressed in season 1(it's really the bottom half I have a problem with. I actually liked the outfit when she wore jeans to visit Aramaki and Togusa in the hospital). If Moive Motoko had purple hair, she'd be perfect(not that she didn't look good with black/brown hair, but I just have a thing for unatural hair colors).
Non conformity is an illusion for the ego.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

marto_motoko wrote:The show was intended for mature audience due to its dialogue and overall complexity. Personally I don't get why sometimes kids try and act like they like it, when in reality you can tell they simply say they do so they can sound more intellectual.
I dunno, I think you can like the show for several reasons without even realizing there is a deeper level. They might just like it for the cute 'think tanks' that talk like kids!
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
John_234

Post by John_234 »

In the special edition DVDs, the Japanese voice actor for the Tachis (yes, all of them) said that she was trying to figure out the complexity in the voices until they said, "that one is the cute one, there's the thoughtful one..." and it was a lot simpler.

Not everything needs to be dug into or turned into a can of worms. Sometimes simplicity is best, right? One of the first episodes I saw was Motoko finding her old prosthetic bodies in the antique shop. I hadn't seen maybe two episodes before this one. That didn't matter; It just made sense.

The interesting thing is people don't really seem to mind the filler in GITS. I guess it's like Star Trek: TNG in that the series constantly world builds and it's easy to appreciate even if you're not watching for complexity.

That aside, GITS has a lot of style on top of philosophy and violence too. It's just awesome hearing "Run Rabbit Junk" start playing and Section 9 wreaking absolute havoc on the bad guys. I can see why even little kids who don't understand the complexity would love it.
"If I believe I have a ghost, I will." Is this true? That's quite a controversy.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

John_234 wrote:It's just awesome hearing "Run Rabbit Junk" start playing and Section 9 wreaking absolute havoc on the bad guys.

:D one of my faves....
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Rien

Post by Rien »

John_234 wrote:

Sometimes simplicity is best, right?

The interesting thing is people don't really seem to mind the filler in GITS. I guess it's like Star Trek: TNG in that the series constantly world builds and it's easy to appreciate even if you're not watching for complexity.
Definitely agree about the simplicity. I'd go crazy if I didn't have that to appreciate and balance out my complex side. Sometimes the mind needs a break. :P

The filler episodes of GitS are my favorites. I could never fully understand the arc episodes especially in 2nd Gig when they focused on so much politics(I need to take a political science class. I'm so ignorant it's sad and shameful).
Non conformity is an illusion for the ego.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I have a complex side? :shock:

Yeah, what makes this series so great is definitely the nice blend of simple and complicated. I know there's complicated parts of it that totally went over my head.

But I enjoyed both the simple and the layered. I enjoy delving deep without drowning as it were.

And I found whenever the tachikomas started talking philosophy, I had to give my head a shake. Those little guys came to some deep understandings that I'll never grasp. But that's cool too. Makes them more 'real.'
Original? Copy? I come from a world where such words are meaningless.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

The link in case the image doens't show.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu18 ... k-Okon.jpg

John_234

Post by John_234 »

Rien wrote:
John_234 wrote:

Sometimes simplicity is best, right?

Definitely agree about the simplicity. I'd go crazy if I didn't have that to appreciate and balance out my complex side. Sometimes the mind needs a break. :P

The filler episodes of GitS are my favorites. I could never fully understand the arc episodes especially in 2nd Gig when they focused on so much politics(I need to take a political science class. I'm so ignorant it's sad and shameful).
They're actually pretty simplified politics. It's a lot more direct than it is in real life, speaking about the refugee issues and power of the PM in pretty simple terms.

I did feel the 2nd GiG had a lot less easter eggs and backstory bits, though SSS sorta made up for it.
"If I believe I have a ghost, I will." Is this true? That's quite a controversy.