Lingering GitS Q &A

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

GhostLine

Lingering GitS Q &A

Post by GhostLine »

i just watched the original today.

1) why was it necessary for motoko to off the diplomat in the beginning? seemed a bit heavy handed....
2) what's the story behind Col. Malice (?) & whatever nation he represents?
3) why was using the tank pilot's brain necessary to help motoko link-up with the puppet-master? a barrier?

here a a few ques. that i have. feel free to answer or ask your own lingering questions about out the great first film!
])R@G()N

Post by ])R@G()N »

I think she offed the diplomat to stop him taking that scientist out of the country. Section 6 went in to try and stop it, but when he pulled out his cards, international laws etc that stopped section 6 legally being able to stop it, obviously the MOFA had already preped section 9 to take care of the situation if all else failed, behind section 6s back of course.

I think the Col was the former leader of what is now the Gavel republic. I think he used to be some sort of dictator in a foriegn nation, the Gavel reublic presumeably want him back to punish him and he wants political asilum to escape them. Hence the need for the MOFA to go into secret talks with Gavel, to work out what they are gonna do, hand him over or give him asilum.

I'm not sure myself about going through the other dudes brain, maybe it is used as a barrier, like a stepping stone for safety, the way hackers often go through a number of systems before they attack what they really wanna get at.
AI

Post by AI »

You might want to read the manga for further information regarding Malice, i thing the idea with the gavel republic is that it is a silver exporter and that is the only reason Japan has any interest in it.
[MKFC] [BFC] [TTAASI] [LDU] [LMFC]
"Who can gaze into the mirror without becoming evil? A mirror does not reflect evil, but creates it."
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

AI wrote:You might want to read the manga for further information regarding Malice, i thing the idea with the gavel republic is that it is a silver exporter and that is the only reason Japan has any interest in it.
Hey, I know I'm not a moderator anymore and you can feel free to bring back old topics, but this one's a really old one (over 2 years old!).

Just so you know. ^_^
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

if we're back to lingering gits questions then wtf was the letter Gouda hands to one of his aides at the end of 2nd GIG?
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Elmo_Redux wrote:if we're back to lingering gits questions then wtf was the letter Gouda hands to one of his aides at the end of 2nd GIG?
I thought it was him pardoning himself the first time I saw it. After a few viewing I now think it was his resignation :? so he could leave the country in search of asylum
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I just watched the 1st movie again. It really does seem that motoko questions herself and what she is a lot in it. The scene where she is on the ferry boat and sees herself as a human eating in a restaurant and the as a manakin in a store window seems to highlight her dual veiws on life in general and her own self worth.

I figured out from the films and series that she struggled with who and what she was. But never noticed just how deep her struggle went until I rewatched that scene over and over tonight. Its changed my views on a few things in the whole GITS franchize. Its not about the Puppetmaster or Kuza or anything else. The whole thing is about her struggle to find her humanity. Her willingness to die to link up with the Puppetmaster shows just how desperate her search is.

Its really reflected nicely in the scenes of the city just at the end of the ferryboat ride. All the humans are far off from her point of view and only cold vacant walls and signs are close to her. I think thats how she views herself. :cry:
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Actually, that's not how she saw herself in those windows. Her body's a common-type cyber body model.

So, even more disturbing than what you thought, that was a completely different person with the exact same body model eating at that restaurant. Imagine how freaky that would be.

And due to the commonality of the design, it was also used as a clothing store model.

Quite disturbing really...

I always had questions about Motoko - Mostly: What does she look like now? I mean, sure we see her as a Gynoid, but we all know that's not just it. She surely has one main body that she uses, and I'm almost definite it's not the one from the end of the first movie.

Do you think she at least keeps that body out of sentiment, or is she beyond the need for sentimentality and melancholy attachment?

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Zidore

Question about innocence

Post by Zidore »

In my country (india) hardly anyone knows anime. The broadband here is so slow that i prefer using my cell! It took me half a year to download GitS SAC. So I was overjoyed to watch innocence at 2:30 in the morning on animax (the only ppl who broadcast here). But my mind was working very slow and i could'nt make out the true meaning of that scene where togusa and batou were taking out that old man. Plz help! It's gonna take me a week to torrent it!