The View from gits SAC on other countries [S1E17 and S2E18]

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Plug&Play

The View from gits SAC on other countries [S1E17 and S2E18]

Post by Plug&Play »

I think this is a very interesting topic: The analysis of ghost in the shell´s view on other countries than japan. While it is obvious and often shown that the USA and its gouvernment is a bunch of evildoer, who try to avoid the fall of the USA´s power and rule over the world, there are two other countrys shown in SAC 1 Episode 17 "The True Reason For The Unfinished Love Affair" and SAC 2 Episode 18 "Angel's Poem – TRANS PARENT": England and Germany...

Do you think the characters of these countries are well adoptet from the reality and assimilatet into the gits world, or do you think these views are just based on average prwjudice and stereotypes?

My own opinion: I was very suprised when a saw the accurateness of the details, like the signs in Hamburg-Mainstation(S2E18 when they show a check of all observating officers from the international force), which have the same design as in reality...but on the other side: why is berlin always shown it the deepest winter? (not only in gits but also in many other films)

And well, the last time I visited London, I was pretty surprised that the sun was shining and no cloud was in the sky... ;) :roll:

by the way: Do you think these episodes imply some criticism on the shown countries, or do they just state, that injustice and crime can be found all over the world? And further more: Do these episodes allow a conlusion on the countries backgrounds, and how this background effects the reality of gits?

I hope you feel inspired to write something! Have a nice day!
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

Dont forget he also shows mainland China in the seaon 2 episode where Major is tracking Kuze's history...

I think the director wanted to display other countries in GiTS as we perceive Japan preset day (his option)

I feel he believes people do not have the highest regard for Japan compared to their own country, so he wanted to display those countries in a semi-negative light on his "stage" , while promoting Japan as

Its also funny that he targeted countries with the highest rate of anime viewing...meaning he used countries who he knew would have the highest audience of watching GiTS...
Image "Fortune Favors the Brave"
miasma

Post by miasma »

That episode was set in Taiwan actually. It had landmarks like that hotel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Hotel_%28Taipei%29

Japan is automatically ahead (economically and technologically) of much of the rest of the world because, in the GitS universe, they had their exclusive "asian miracle" nanotech to deal with fallout, which let them rebuild quickly after WW3. It's all stacked in their favour. :P

I'm curious though as to who exactly was fighting who in WW3. I assume NK was involved somehow, due to constant references to the peninsula, but how the heck did tokyo end up getting nuked?

What I found most interesting was their vision of a divided America:
North American Union and the American Empire. I wonder how that happened.
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

miasma wrote:That episode was set in Taiwan actually. It had landmarks like that hotel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Hotel_%28Taipei%29

Japan is automatically ahead (economically and technologically) of much of the rest of the world because, in the GitS universe, they had their exclusive "asian miracle" nanotech to deal with fallout, which let them rebuild quickly after WW3. It's all stacked in their favour. :P

I'm curious though as to who exactly was fighting who in WW3. I assume NK was involved somehow, due to constant references to the peninsula, but how the heck did tokyo end up getting nuked?

What I found most interesting was their vision of a divided America:
North American Union and the American Empire. I wonder how that happened.
You're 100% correct - I'm not sure why I said China (D'oh)
WWIII must have been somewhat recent in the GiTS universe (or had long lasting impacts) because you think the Refugee Areas would have been cleared up by now. The fact that Japan is such a small country makes you think they would have tried to demolish the fallen buildings and rebuilt. The only reason I think they would not have attempted is because the radiation levels were still to high to be hospitable over a lifetime...anyone who can offer insight into that would be a big help :)

But yes, I think to clarify on your question; I believe American Empire is the "new" USA, while North American Union can refer to a more NATO-esque coalition..involving American Empire, Canada, Mexico, etc...
I dont believe it it two separate countries created out of 1 old United States of America (as how it was in the George Orwell's book,1984)
Image "Fortune Favors the Brave"