Old or New?

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Which character style of Motoko is better?

Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
61%
Stand Alone Complex 1rs GIG
39%

Total votes: 28

marto_motoko

Old or New?

Post by marto_motoko »

So now that we're a good part into the new Ghost in the Shell season for Stand Alone Complex, which season do you like better?

But most of all, answer the poll, because that's the one I'm MOST curious about! :)

m.m.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

that first season outfit made no sense at all. :shock:
Oh well.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

simon's ghost wrote:that first season outfit made no sense at all. :shock:

I think that on the interviews of the Offical Log 1 the creators actually wonder how they ended up with that costume - apparently they made lots of separate decisions which ended up in the pink-black oddity we see during the first season.

In any case, the 2nd Gig wins. Most of Major's costumes actually look tasteful, there. I'm especially a fan of her black formal outfit. She looks both classy and dangerous, in it.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

"Pink-black?" Huh? I thought she was in white and black as her main outfit in the first season... In any case, at least they put her in the all grey-black outfit sometimes too. I kind of thought that with the first costume they were just going for a slightly more Shirow thing (very barely anyway)- he tends to put characters in skimpy outfits too, especially in later years. The design looked influenced by the first Playstation game too. Hmm... You know the cover of issue 8 of GitS (in the Dark Horse version)? She looks to be based on that, with the leather jacket and battle swimsuit combo.
MiNaeClem

Post by MiNaeClem »

2nd gig Motoko is created more professionally and in an experienced way imo. I mentioned this before but apart from her design and outfits I didn't like the drawing style of some episodes within 2nd gig. However I loved some. You obviously should have figured what I'm talking about. In some episodes Motoko is really ugly which took away my concentration.

I really love the designs and the drawing style and everything of the opening of 2nd gig.
Some things are too important to be taken seriously.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Sylphisonic wrote:"Pink-black?" Huh? I thought she was in white and black as her main outfit in the first season...

The socks are definately pink...They strike to my eye more than the white top. I actually had to think for a moment where the white was, in that costume.
I kind of thought that with the first costume they were just going for a slightly more Shirow thing (very barely anyway)- he tends to put characters in skimpy outfits too, especially in later years.

Shirow rarely put Motoko herself in a skimpy costume. Plenty of female androids and lesser characters ended up wearing few thimbles of cloth in his comics, though.

In the Offical Log several outfits were shown, that had been taught up as possible clothing for Major, but what she ended up in seemed like a mismatched patchwork of several somewhat better looking choices.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

My vote is for Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig, I never particularly like her swimsuit outfit in the first season, when they changed her to wear pants in the middle of the season that was a good idea.

Motoko in SAC 2nd Gig is drawn better than the first season, her outfit are much better looking than her swimsuit, I especially like the black formal outfit that we see her in an episode called Trial, her white outfit with the white pants and the blueish jacket.
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

I prefer the first season. I liked the Laughing Man case more than the refugee scenario, and while I enjoy darkness as much as the next person, I liked the colouring more in the first season. The episodes alse felt more varied in theme, which is a plus. Motokos outfit is annoying, but for me that's just a minor point.
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I also liked the first season, but Marto did this poll to only wanted to see what Motoko style do the fans like the best, SAC 1st Gig or SAC 2nd Gig.

If the poll was which season do you like the best then I would have said that SAC 1st Gig would be the best season since I haven't seen all of the episodes of SAC 2nd Gig and the episodes that I have seen have been very good.
miki-chan

Post by miki-chan »

I thought the quality of animation was better in 1st Gig. The further I'm getting into 2nd Gig, the weirder and weirder poor ol' Batou looks...
"Smoke and idiots love high places."--Batou
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

So far, I feel the 2nd gig's animation is also a lot more static. More dialogue shots with nothing but the lips moving, even shots with diaologue coming from the back of their heads. i mean, I understand you can save your budget for specific action scenes but I really feel they're getting lazy at IG...
Oh well.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

When the dialogue coming out of the characters' back heads that means they are using encrypted cyber comms, so maybe the staff at Production IG aren't being lazy and it is part of the story line that the members of Section 9 are using encrypted comms so that only other members of Section 9 can hear the communication.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

To me the animation in the 2nd Gig looks mostly better than in the first season, where there was lots of variation in the quality. There are some bad shots in the 2nd Gig, as well, though.
The further I'm getting into 2nd Gig, the weirder and weirder poor ol' Batou looks...

I think that Batou looks better in the 2nd Gig - he looked downright fat in some scenes of the first season. It's a matter of personal taste, ofcourse.

The storyline feels more whole and mature, but it does lack the certain anarchistic mood which was present in the first season. I'm afraid I can't describe it better than that. Most of the time I prefer the 2nd Gig, but there are parts in the first season that are just as enjoyable, but for different reasons, so the comparsion isn't too easy...

Personally I enjoy lots of dialogue - it gets us inside the characters' heads and gives us understanding of their personalities and motivations. Even the antagonists feel like real people and you can understand their motives, even though you can't agree with them.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

Motoko2030 wrote:I also liked the first season, but Marto did this poll to only wanted to see what Motoko style do the fans like the best, SAC 1st Gig or SAC 2nd Gig.
You know what? I completely glossed over the title of the poll and just went straight from the title of the thread to the message of the thread. And the message fit the title of the thread (and asked for which season, not which Motoko), so I wasn't confused at all. I guess I'll have to retract my vote then, only it's impossible. And I'd retract my entire post too, but that would be depublishing, and that's just confusing. But that's what you get for me only paying 80% attention. :(
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

so far, i'm preferring season 1 for the fun laughing man story. of course many of the tales were loosely based on the manga...but i think 2nd gig is going on it's own. the stories seem a bit more complex and darker.

as for style, Batou should go the way of MMI and shave the hair. it looks bad in SAC and it looks really bad in Innocence.

major kusanagi can wear whatever she wants!!