Technological singularity projections.

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

funknotik

Technological singularity projections.

Post by funknotik »

One of the things GITS really got me thinking about was how soon we really are to a similar future technology wise. At my most cynical I say probably not before we destroy our selves. But when I look at Moore's law and I think about how technological advancement is exponential, I realize it might be sooner than we think. Started reading the work of Ray Kurzweil and became a little more optimistic about the possibilities. Anybody else geeking out on this stuff what do you guys think?

Ray Kurzweil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uIzS1uCOcE
Freitag

Re: Technological singularity projections.

Post by Freitag »

funknotik wrote:At my most cynical I say probably not before we destroy our selves.
Ah, be optimistic! It's the singularity that WILL destroy us - so they arrive at the same time :D
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
funknotik

Re: Technological singularity projections.

Post by funknotik »

Freitag wrote:
funknotik wrote:At my most cynical I say probably not before we destroy our selves.
Ah, be optimistic! It's the singularity that WILL destroy us - so they arrive at the same time :D
Yeah I figured that, damn 45 views and only one comment. I would think so many GITS fans would be fascinated by the prospect of a technological singularity. Anyway theres a movie coming out about Ray Kurzweil and you see some of the opposition (people who think he is full of shit.) Check out the trailer it's called Transcendent man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntY01qoIdus
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Well of course he's full of it.

But he and his are fun to watch and may come up with some interesting inventions along the way.

Can't watch from new office. blocked.... :roll:
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.