In The Shell

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Whisper

In The Shell

Post by Whisper »

This forum is great!

It's like a treasure trove of interesting. :shock:

But in some ways its as eerie as a crypt. :( Since most of the topics are a couple years old.

However browsing through the "who's still here?" topic confirms that there's still plenty of life here. :D

Also I'm not the only one resurrecting old threads, because I've found instances of it being done by others.

It's interesting, because by all reasoning this forum should be purged. :arrow: But I'd take the firm stance that it shouldn't be. There are a LOT of interesting topics in here. A lot of discussion and debate of all kinds.

I don't think I'm the only one that feels that this forum shouldn't turn in the towel just yet, that doing so would be a tragic event.

I've made the judgement call to present my views in a few old topics and I've decided not to in others, despite the desire to just go ahead and do so anyway. :P

And now I'm creating my own thread in the hopes that I can assist in stirring some new life into this place. 8)

I'll continue to do so until I feel it's unnecessary. And I strongly encourage others to assist me, because I get a pretty clear indication that other users want the same thing.

I've very recently found this place, and I waited patiently for my account to get the green light solely for the purpose of hopefully keeping this place going just a little longer. And in hopes of getting to meet the rest of you. :wink:

This a great forum. Comprised of good people. I can tell that just from what little I've seen. I think that stands for something. :tachi!:

It may be a fruitless venture. A fool's errand. But I've never been one to give up quite so easily when faced only with maybe's and maybe not's. Going to have to throw some definites my way to get that job done.

So how do we go about livening up the place :?:

There's only one way :!: We gotta be active. We're going to have to speak up. We're going to have to rattle the trees and see what falls out.

I only found this place because I was desperately searching for an outlet to express my appreciation for Ghost in the Shell and I had to comb through a lot of google results to find it. It's not reasonable to consider that others will do the same thing I did.

However I believe it's reasonable to consider the other fact that led me here, that I recently discovered Ghost in the Shell.

It's not hard to imagine that other people are going to pick up the series, curious as to what it is. And then when they do, they're going to pursue it. Like I did. To what extent and how long will vary from person to person. But if they find life, they're going to peek inside.

So I strongly encourage and invite people to speak up. Voice your mind. let your opinions flow. :tachi!:

I'm strongly considering floating over all the old topics and adding my own views to each one. It's a little excessive, a little crazy, and a little unreasonable, but I'd argue that it'd be a lot of fun and I'd greatly enjoy it. :tachi!:

Like finding a cave covered in chalk drawings and suppressing the urge to add your own when its just so inviting.

Don't inspire people so much to mimic you and you won't have the stand alone complex. :l-man:

Commend me or reprimand me. Your call.
Original? Copy? I come from a world where such words are meaningless.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

haha...feel free to add to what has been shelves...most threads die mostly from a lack of new thought, and giving them a bump is no mortal sin...and i'm sure will be welcomed.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

The only reason we've left old threads laying is because we either think we came to a conclusion, realized there was no common ground, or saw something shiny.

Connect this idea to your view of perfection in another thread. Until everyone has said everything about GitS, we're not done. So the old posts just both be eft thre and be resurrected periodically.

Maybe someeon new will read something old and have some "Aha!" moment tand then share that back with us.

So yes, post away!!!!
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Chroma

Post by Chroma »

Good to know there are people still interested in talking.
I freaked a little by seeing tomorrow the mass of "uped" subject :D

That's cool, and I'll try to run some comments myself.

By the way, welcome
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

:) LOVE the fact that I logged on after a few weeks of keeping away, and I see all these revived topics! Just about game me giddy butterflies!

Besides, wouldn't you guys agree it's been a while since we've indulged in GitS? I've been meaning to rewatch the series and the movies sometime soon. We could discuss our revived views and whatnot.

Man, I started coming to this site when I was a little kid, barely 12, and now it's been almost 10 years!

mm :gabu:
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

wow! 10 years on this forum! thats dedication! :o
Image "Fortune Favors the Brave"
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

stand-al0ne wrote:wow! 10 years on this forum! thats dedication! :o
Some have been here even longer. I didn't actively start posting until I think 2003?

mm

(first time posting in MONTHS!!!)
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
cong06

Post by cong06 »

Whisper wrote: It's interesting, because by all reasoning this forum should be purged.
There's one forum in the back of my mind that a bunch of my friends from an online game joined. Once I quit, though, the whole thing kind of fell apart.
But this is the internet. Even though there's only about one post a year, I don't see any reason to take it down. Maybe ignore it, but not take it down.
marto_motoko wrote: Some have been here even longer. I didn't actively start posting until I think 2003?
It says you joined on 27 Nov 2005... Did you have more than one account?
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

cong, I believe this is the 2nd incarnation of the forum...
Rien

Post by Rien »

It's very depressing since I finally found a place where there is actual depth without being pretentious and igniting flame wars. Yet, I still joined anyway. I've been tempted to bump a lot of old topics, but I felt I wouldn't contribute much to them and I wasn't sure if there was a rule against that(so many forums I've been to get very pissy about reviving old topics).

I like that this forum is low key and shows who the "real" fans are. Ghost in the Shell isn't a series the casual anime fan can just jump into so I'm not surprised of the low traffic(yet Neon Genesis Evangelion has a pretty big fanbase. I guess it's the mecha appeal and the fact that the first few episodes are more light hearted until everything goes to hell and back later on. The remake has also brought in more fans now).

The live action movie might bring GitS into the mainstream anime community though I don't know whether that will a good thing or a bad thing.
Non conformity is an illusion for the ego.
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

Rien, I'm not a mod, but I get the feeling you can revive any topic you please. People new like you and me will like being able to add our own insight, and Im sure the old-tymers won't mind contributing to something they have previous experience on.

Anyone adding life to this forum will be accepted arms open in my opinion!

I hope you decide to go forward with your plan - I'm ready to be more involved myself!

I would like to see a live-action movie, if that is the only option I have to continue seeing something new in the GiTS universe. Plus there's always the chance it comes out looking really good. You can always dream :)

Rien wrote:It's very depressing since I finally found a place where there is actual depth without being pretentious and igniting flame wars. Yet, I still joined anyway. I've been tempted to bump a lot of old topics, but I felt I wouldn't contribute much to them and I wasn't sure if there was a rule against that(so many forums I've been to get very pissy about reviving old topics).

I like that this forum is low key and shows who the "real" fans are. Ghost in the Shell isn't a series the casual anime fan can just jump into so I'm not surprised of the low traffic(yet Neon Genesis Evangelion has a pretty big fanbase. I guess it's the mecha appeal and the fact that the first few episodes are more light hearted until everything goes to hell and back later on. The remake has also brought in more fans now).

The live action movie might bring GitS into the mainstream anime community though I don't know whether that will a good thing or a bad thing.
Chroma

Post by Chroma »

Yeah go on. We surely need some necromancy work on those topics :P
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Go ahead and revive whatever you like! :) No rule against it, and even I sometimes forget what's up here.
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Rien wrote:It's very depressing since I finally found a place where there is actual depth without being pretentious and igniting flame wars. Yet, I still joined anyway. I've been tempted to bump a lot of old topics, but I felt I wouldn't contribute much to them and I wasn't sure if there was a rule against that(so many forums I've been to get very pissy about reviving old topics).

Ha ha, my sentiments exactly. Though I'm about as casual an anime fan you can get. (I can count the animes I've seen on one hand) Though I've been told I'm a very good judge of character and have good tastes.

I've all but completely forgotten why I picked up Ghost in the Shell in the first place. Snatcher? Blade Runner? The back of an old Star Wars comic book?

Probably all those and a few more. I know that ad for Ghost in the Shell on that back of that comic stayed in my mind this whole time. (That was over ten years ago!)

Goes to show how timeless some things can be, even fleeting stuff.

It's funny, I was reading up about the Cyberpunk genre, and it said that cyberpunks have a very negative look at technology and depict a bleak future.

But I think Ghost in the Shell has really done the opposite. If the future is GitS, then I'm not worried.

Edit: Did I really start this topic? :shock: I'm so proud! :cry:
Original? Copy? I come from a world where such words are meaningless.
John_234

Post by John_234 »

A lot of dead forums have more activity if you use the chat often, just saying :P
"If I believe I have a ghost, I will." Is this true? That's quite a controversy.