in the shell Forum Index in the shell
Discussions about the many incarnations of Ghost in the Shell, philosophy and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matrix GitS Comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    in the shell Forum Index -> The Original (Oshii) Films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freitag

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Matrix GitS Comparison Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tF7TL0Qh4

The side by side video comparison is pretty cool. It really shows what a rip off Matrix was. But that is not the point of the video - just an 'add on' observation
M4nu3l

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good video.

I'm glad for the side by side, and the admittance of the "direct influence".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Elvenefris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting !

Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Matrix GitS Comparison Reply with quote

Freitag wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tF7TL0Qh4

The side by side video comparison is pretty cool. It really shows what a rip off Matrix was. But that is not the point of the video - just an 'add on' observation

Great comparison video and congratulations on completely missing the point...

See there's one HUGE difference between GiTS and The Matrix. The Matrix is a live action movie made with real actors (ignoring the sequels which were largely CGI'd and sucked because of it IMHO). What Larry and Andy Wachowski did was largely *influenced* by Anime and Eastern cinema but what they did was roll Anime style filmography and action into a live action movie in a western mainstream environment.

The Matrix isn't original. The story isn't original, the concepts are not original, the style isn't original. What it was however was a unique fusion of all these ideas and concepts and styles into a full-blown Holywood movie. The original movie at least was a very good item of work. It's not a 'rip off' of any particular thing, it was a use of ideas and inspirations not usually drawn on for such a work. It might seem corny and old hat now but in 1999 it blew the movie industry inside out.

I started out as a fan of The Matrix way before I liked GiTS. I was aware of GiTS and appreciated it's inspiration of the Wachowski brothers but were it not for The Matrix I'd never have discovered GiTS quite as deeply as I did. The Matrix taught me how to look deeper into the philosophy and underlying meaning of a piece of film, not just get a hardon over the explosions and fast cars (although they are cool too Razz). Without that I'd never really have 'got' GiTS.

As it goes, I don't think of it as a rip-off, I think of it as a tribute, a homage to these great works from people who are true fans.

In the Major we Trust...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    in the shell Forum Index -> The Original (Oshii) Films All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: