O_o Incredible Question: Proto - does he have a ghost?

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

marto_motoko

O_o Incredible Question: Proto - does he have a ghost?

Post by marto_motoko »

Okay, I was just talking with hubby about Ghost in the Shell since he's watching SAC for the first time, and we were discussing the cast (checking if he has them down yet), and the discussion stranded into people he'll meet in Season 2.

Then he asked me, what was actually a great question, if Proto has a ghost, despite being and android/ bioroid, or whatever the technicality is.

The reason I'm wondering now too is because I know androids obviously are devoid of human cells and brain cells, tissue, whatever it might be, and ghost dubbing is highly illegal and is pretty much the only way to have a ghost, sans Puppet Master.

So, does Proto have a ghost?

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I'm not sure Proto is around enough to be able to tell.

But the Tachkoma's have Ghosts (or at least Motoko thinks so and I'd say she was the expert on the topic) and the are devoid of biological parts. So there is nothing that would prevent Proto from having a Ghost.

The interesting point becomes the "when" of having a Ghost. The Tachkomas did not have Ghosts to begin with and only developed them over time.

Since a Ghost cannot be an incremental thing, it has to be when some threshold (of experience?) is crossed. So what does a new Ghost give an AI that having one less experience denies that same AI?
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Elvenefris

Post by Elvenefris »

If we dissect the name Bioroid, it comes down to Biological Android, now Proto's body composition definitely is clinging onto the elements of humanity that are left in him. Agreed that there's been no major role as such for a deeper analysis, but there sure is a mystery about this character.

The very name does indicate he should technically have a ghost, also if he acquired it by ghost dubbing then I wont be surprised considering what Aramaki can do for the welfare of his subordinates. So either ways, I think it somehow fits that Proto should have a ghost.