Reading anything?

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

Synthetic

Reading anything?

Post by Synthetic »

I was wondering what people here are reading (other than GitS of course).

As for myself, I like to read a few books simultaneously so I can pick something that feels right for the moment.
The books that I am reading now are; Neurophilosophy (just finished), Women Fire and Dangerous Things (just started), Physiology of Sport and Exercise (on the third chapter), History of Western Philosophy (one third through), A Historical Introduction to the Philosophy of Science (half way) and Assassin's Quest.
*almost faints*
gareth

Post by gareth »

I'm currently reading The Planetarium at the moment for a European literature module at uni, which has also involved various Sartre as well as The Outsider by Camus.

Apart from that, various Austen/Bronte works for another module and some Arthurian legends for good measure.

Anyone else studying English Literature in any form?
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Just in the last throws of 'Nightwatch' by Terry Pratchett. Very good read.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I just stole a copy of Serpico by Peter Maas.
M4nu3l

Post by M4nu3l »

The chronicles of Narnia.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

:oops: The twilight books :oops:

Also reading the Hobbit by JRR Tolkien.
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
Plug&Play

Post by Plug&Play »

Saito wrote:Just in the last throws of 'Nightwatch' by Terry Pratchett. Very good read.
Pratchett is always a good choise! I love the disc world because its so satiric, it always keept me laughing when I read his novels...Samuel Mumm is the greatest charakter ever created... :o

I´m acually reading some stuff about chemistry,..one final exam next wednesday and I´m done with school^^

Anybody read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley? I read it lately..and liked it...the plot is a bit crappy but the world Huxley discribes is interesting...and worth to thing about it...
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Absolutely loved Brave New World and the way Huxley deconstructed every element needed for a utopian world to maintain its balance.

I just finished reading Leo Tolstoï's "The Death of Ivan Ilitch" coupled with "Master and Servant". Currently going through Nicolaï Gogol's "les Âmes Mortes"(dead souls?). Love classic Russian litterature. Fiodor Dostoïevski is my favorite...

Tried getting into Nietzche's Zarathustra but the read is long and difficult so I only get into it every once in a while. I'm starting to appreciate it more every time.
Oh well.
Plug&Play

Post by Plug&Play »

Did you read "1984" by Orwell, too? I think its nice to compare these two conceptions of a distopian future,...and I think we´re closer to Huxley´s version of the future, than to Orwell´s.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Yes, I did read 1984 and loved it. I believe he was closer to our reality in terms of the structure of control being more ideological and held together by fear and ignorance. As for the values and the social conditionning, Huxley foresaw how proper conditionning to position oneself precisely in the pyramid combined with and an overly sexualized and emotionally repressed mass is key to control.
Oh well.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

On my second book in the Star Wars: Republic Commando series. Very good books, set during the Clone Wars, a quite gritty and raw side of Star Wars away from all the Jedi high heroics instead centered on 'real' men tackling real problems of war. Deals a lot with Mandalorian warrior culture (Think Jango and Bobba Fett) and the moral dilemma of raising a clone army to fight for a cause that they have no stake in and take nothing back from. Very good read if you like 'alternative' Star Wars material.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Gogol was very good, but my edition was in two parts and only had the first one so I have to look for that...

I still started another read anyway with Stendhal's "Red & Black". Love the character developement so far.
Oh well.
M4nu3l

Post by M4nu3l »

Enchanted: Biography of Audrey Hepburn , and The Chronicles of Narnia
Wanderland

Post by Wanderland »

I found Dead Souls pretty disappointing. Stendhal, on the other hand, is bloody brilliant; Scarlet and Black was such a fun read.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Finally got around to reading the Vampire Armand from the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. Really hoping I love this one as much as I want to.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?