Who is Chief Aramaki

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Epiphany

Who is Chief Aramaki

Post by Epiphany »

I haven't found out much about Aramaki. Who is he and what is his history. How did he get involved in Section 9 :? He is one of the most interesting characters in the GITS universe.
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
marto_motoko

Re: Who is Chief Aramaki

Post by marto_motoko »

Epiphany wrote:I haven't found out much about Aramaki. Who is he and what is his history. How did he get involved in Section 9 :? He is one of the most interesting characters in the GITS universe.
Well, we do know for sure that he has a brother, and we know that he and the Major seem to view each other as equals in every possible way.

As for his position, I honestly think that he's the most true to what he's done - he probably has been working on the creation of Section 9 since his early middle ages.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

I got the impression from his memories of the war and his connections to the defense forces and respected position among the governing elite that he was a highly decorated officer from the last war, who sought to setup Section 9 to prevent another war happening. He used his influence and connections to hand pick the very best operatives from the military and civil forces of the time and get funding for the equipment and resources required to get the job done.

He likely picked the Major as someone under his command during the war who was highly effective and utterly trustworthy. The rest were picked as they offered a wide range of skills and expertise, and in some cases contacts and resources of their own.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Wanderland

Post by Wanderland »

Aww, has no one got any theories about his lady-friend in England?
M4nu3l

Post by M4nu3l »

Good point.

His love life seems to be quite mysterious indeed.

Perhaps as handsome as he looks now, he may have been quite the lady-killer in his hey-day. Infact, I would imagine he was self-distructive in his relationships, till the war changed him.

After the war, he was able to make more solid relationships, and was able to trust people. And I'm sure one of the first people he was able to trust, (outside of his immediate circle of friends) was the major.
miasma

Post by miasma »

Wanderland wrote:Aww, has no one got any theories about his lady-friend in England?
Well... it is mentioned that she was a high-ranking politician in the Japanese administration some time ago, and that is when Aramaki knew her. She retired from politics (unsurprisingly, looking at the events in SAC1 and SAC2 o_O), and moved to UK. Beyond that, though... ???

Also, I got the impression from the series that the Major and Aramaki were co-founders of Section 9.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Necroing this thread to throw my two cents out there. For what it's worth.

Aramaki is an interesting character. I believe that uncertainty adds to the depth of his character, that mysterious element that begs for more light to be shed on it.

That relationship business is also interesting, it's funny how he reacts to the opposite gender. He's definitely a charmer, but cautious at the same time.

He obviously sees the Major as someone he can absolutely confide in. But there are moments between them where they don't seem to be particularly close.

It's pretty clear that he values the Major wholeheartedly as an Agent and they go way back.

But comrades in arms know pasts and personal details about each other to a resounding degree. You see and hear it all the time in other media.

But I don't get that kind of a vibe. And with all the soul-searching Motoko has done over the series, you'd that would get Aramaki's attention, but he doesn't seem the least bit concerned.

Even if they had a sort of father-daughter relationship, or merely business, you'd think it would be a point for Aramaki to investigate.

Batou's the only one that seems overly concerned about Motoko's wellbeing, but I don't think he's even delved too deep. He's knows more about Togusa.

That being said, I think Togusa and Batou are the two members of Section 9 we know the most about.

There are times when Section 9 seem to go way back. 2nd GiG Poker Face for instance.

Then there's moments when it seems to be in its infancy. Quite interesting, and quite the contradiction. I haven't read any real literature behind Ghost in the Shell, so maybe there's more facts out there than I've been made aware of... but that's my piece on the subject.
Original? Copy? I come from a world where such words are meaningless.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Whisper wrote:Necroing this thread to throw my two cents out there.
I have heard that the true definition of a Barbarian is someon that doens't know thier past.

Ah that is the value of the net - everything here lives forever and can be revisited or discoverd anew at any time.

The net is vast.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Freitag wrote:
Whisper wrote:Necroing this thread to throw my two cents out there.
I have heard that the true definition of a Barbarian is someon that doens't know thier past.

Ah that is the value of the net - everything here lives forever and can be revisited or discoverd anew at any time.

The net is vast.
and infinite. :gabu:

Whisper, I find your points about the contradicting history of Section 9 (in terms of display, not factual). One time it seems infantile, the next it seems downright archaic.

Perhaps that's simply the fundamental of why Section 9 is so respected, feared, and hated by the multitude of people that have to coincide with it: We have a team of true professionals, true different breeds of people, varying degrees of humanity, technology, emotional apathy, sympathy, complexity, marksmanship, etc, etc. It makes the team such a forceful three dimensional unit!

Aramaki is the head, but in retrospect he's the backbone of one truly large and full animal.

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

I believe that in season one of SAC, when Aramaki is telling the Prime Minister he could never rebuild his unit if he throws them to the wolves, and that his people are what make Section 9, he is almost 100% referring to the Major.

And in SSS, you can tell from the beginning of the movie that the Chief feels section 9 has not been the same since the Major leaving. Couple that with how excited he is to have her back when she shows up just before the raid on the building at the end (even the first thing he says to her relates to her leaving!)

I know he values the other members, but the Major is the one he cares about most. He trusts her so much that he ever let her hand pick the other members of section 9 (Saito, Pazu, Togusa...) However Ichikawa remains somewhat a mystery on how he joined, but I'm sure it was likely during the military time together. 2nd Gig Poker face episode seems to confirm that.(Side note, it almost seems like he stays with section 9 not because he wants to, but because of an obligation to the Major - thats the vibe I get)
Image "Fortune Favors the Brave"
cong06

Post by cong06 »

marto_motoko wrote: Whisper, I find your points about the contradicting history of Section 9 (in terms of display, not factual). One time it seems infantile, the next it seems downright archaic.
I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this. Are you saying that Whisper is correct in saying it seems there are conflicting clues as to how well the members of Section 9 know each other?