Nanotechnology

Discuss the technology of any incarnation of Ghost in the Shell
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

what would have to happen for a grey goo scenario to take place anyway? I'm not well informed on the subject, but it seems to me like the fear of grey goo would only be valid in a sort of system that mimiced a biological system, replicating out of control like cancer. But the proposed models for manafacturing nanomachines that I've seen seem to be more like just tiny production line robots or factory workers, so wouldn't that mean the grey goo scenario isn't valid in those models?
Ramzus

Post by Ramzus »

I'am guessing that grey goo scenario is just a fabrication of those who fear something new and relate this to sci-fi tradegies.
The divine medium who has descended upon the mortal world.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

The 'grey goo' scenario is one basically formulated from this argument:

Nanotechnology can be made. If it can be made it can be made to dismantle other things. If it can dismantle other things down to a low enough level, say molecular or atomic level, then it can manufacture it's own building blocks. If it can make it's own building blocks, and it possesses enough pre-programmed knowledge to replicate itself then it could dismantle materials and produce copies of itself. If this then got out of control, the nano-machines would consume everything an multiply exponentially, consuming the entire planet and reducing it to a grey goo of nano-machines.

It's only hypothetical, and it would require astoundingly advanced nano-machines with high levels of collective intelligence or a 'hive mind', as well as highly advanced molecular decomposition mechanisms (be they chemical or mechanical) that could destroy most common objects, packed into something tiny. It also supposes mankind doesn't possess any safeguards or ways of ceasing the reaction. I think it's another extremist view of a technology I believe will become central to our future.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Colmy_DD

lolz

Post by Colmy_DD »

sounds like an episode of SG1 to meh!! XD
What i'd thought i'd do is pretend to be one of those individuals... or should i??
Ramzus

Post by Ramzus »

lol :lol:
The divine medium who has descended upon the mortal world.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

It has been explored by many protagonists of Science Fiction over the years. :P
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...