Casting Call

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

marto_motoko wrote:
Epiphany wrote:Kyoko Fukada would make a good Motoko. But they would probably cast Lucy Lue because of box office appeal.

Ian McKellen as Aramaki

Johnny Depp as Togusa ( just because he's strange )

Orlando Bloom as anyone ( Just cause he's sexy )
Ian McKellen, sure why not.

Johnny, or Orlando?...O_o....nooot so much, my dear friend. That's a last resort in my opinion!

mm
can't help myself. there both sexy as heck even if it is in different ways LMAO
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Johnny's charming, and has charisma. Orlando....nah, just another pretty face in my book. (Marto's hatred for overly flaunted beautys of today's generation. Bah!)

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

He he,

See, for me, give me the Man's manny type. I like the Clive Owen, Viggo Mortensen, type. Johnny can pull it off with his depth of character though too. Not no creepy Burt Reynolds types though, *shiver*.
Hey wait.... what were we talking about?
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Tonks_kittygoth wrote:He he,

See, for me, give me the Man's manny type. I like the Clive Owen, Viggo Mortensen, type. Johnny can pull it off with his depth of character though too. Not no creepy Burt Reynolds types though, *shiver*.
Hey wait.... what were we talking about?
I dunno...bagels? O_o...oh, casting. Right Tachi?

:tachi!: Yessirree!! For us, perhaps you could hire Mr. Marto, because he seems like he has oodles of knowledge on how to tap into the purest of personality of what us, the AI Combat Team Tachikoma STAND FOOOOoooooorrrrrr.....

:shock: ....err..... >_>.....<_<.....T_T WHY was I born to be surrounded by idiots!

:tachi!: Actually, we're far more intelligent than you, Mr. Marto.

>_> Freaking high-tech toasters with voice-boxes.....

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I think if she sobered up long enough Michelle Rodriguez could pull off Motoko. She has that cold on the surface moldering underneath look to her. I could picture her offing a deplomat without warning and having the presents to order other strong willed people around
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

If they try to recreate gits they'll just fail and produce just another tacky speilburg-a-like sci-fi action film, so if they really have to make an americanized live action film then they should make it the wierdest reinterpretation that they possibly can.

So, Terry Gilliam or David Lynch to direct, Bill Bailey as Aramaki, Adam Baldwin as Batou, Vincent Schiavelli as ishikawa, Michael Berryman as bouma, Akhil Kapoor as Saito, Wiilem Dafoe as the puppetmaster and steve buscemi doing the voices for all of the tachikomas.

C'mon you know you'd want to watch it :)
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

please not david lynch. not that. i would personally take immediate violent action.
Oh well.
mirrormirror

Post by mirrormirror »

Motoko: Tough to decide. Charlise Theron would be pretty good. But she aint exactly asian. Yumiku Shaku looks good too but also Carrie-Anne Moss
Batou: Mickey Rourke or Dolf Lundgren would be good. Rourke looked awesome as Marv when wearing those facial prosthetics for Sin City. Gotta visualize the bottlecap eyes.
Togusa: Nathan Fillion (as long as he doesnt ever smile)
Aramaki: ANY old man that specializes in scowling and could wear poofy einstein hair shaped like a tree canopy with a sunroof (seriously, what up with that?).
Ishikawa: strap on a beard and Edward James Olmos would be perfect

Bolma: Michael Clarke Duncan. Yeah, he's black. But as someone stated earlier, the dude is a behemoth and Bolma is a supporting character anyways. He already had a cool looking eye in Sin City. Now imagine bottlecap prosthetic eyes.
Pazu: John Michael Turturro or someone similar looking.
Saito: ?

And as for the Tachikomas: They should be these http://images.elfwood.com/fanq/t/a/tavi ... ed_209.jpg

Just my opinion :p
The Ego, the Self, perhaps even a Soul.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

The Major: Kelly Macdonald(Trainspotting, Gosford Park, No Country for Old Men)
Chesire Cat

Post by Chesire Cat »

Call me biased, but I tihnk Motoko is a 'larger than life' character that it seems almost impossible (but not impossible) to find an actress who can pull it off. It'll be very difficult to say the least. Gotta agree with Sylphisonic on this one. I'm not in favor of casting predictable, or too well known actresses for the part. I don't like how characters can sometimes be drowned out or even overshadowed by the popularity of the actors themselves (ala Catwoman playing as Halle Berry instead of vice versa), or by the images we still have of the previous roles these actors have had. I wouldn't want to see the Ghost in the Shell film have to carry that excess baggage when portraying the Major. Otherwise it'd be just another shallow femme fatale type of character. Theres more to Motoko than kicking ass and looking hot.

As to the nationality of the actress. It doesn't really matter to me. If there is a japanese actress with the screen presence, personality, and physique for the part, then why not. The same goes for an American actress. Hey, if the boot fits. Besides, given that the Major is full cyborg, and an anime character at that, varying interpretations of her real life appearance is understandable. As long as it doesn't go too far (ie. a blonde, blue-eyed Kusanagi :shock:)

I think Dolf Lundgren would look good with the Ranger Eyes :D. Maybe even Steven Segal, whom I hear Batou's appearance is loosely based on.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

omg this thread is still going (sorta)!

Awesome... I was going to put a link to it in the other L/A movie thread....

Ill try to think of a couple more peeps and post them.

No Keanu Reeves though! *barf* he cant act unless he doesnt speak!
If he stands around and looks hot, ok but once he opens that mouth, its all done....*Takes of cap and mourns for Bram Stokers Dracula*

:tachi!: :gabu: :gabu: :tachi!:
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

I know this is going to sound funny, but I recently made the mistake of watching the latest Indiana Jones movie and I must say Cate Blanchet drew a smile from me when she appeared on screen the first time with Motoko's haircut. Then I kept thinking about it and thought: "With that haircut, her incredible features and her cold ice-blue eyes, she'd make a great movie-motoko if they were to westernize the whole thing..."
Oh well.
Tonks_kittygoth

Huh,... yeh I didnt think of that but maybe... she is a very good actress too, so that would help of course.

I thought of someone else for Batou, doesnt fit the size but perhaps the feeling... Daniel Craig....
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Tonks_kittygoth wrote: I thought of someone else for Batou, doesnt fit the size but perhaps the feeling... Daniel Craig....
If I were going for a Batau 'feeling' then I'd go for Hugh Jackman, and he's also the right physique. Bit type cast maybe, being Wolverine in X-Maen too (same character, different story IMHO), but it's something he clearly is very good at. Just bleach the hair and lose the sideburns :P Daniel Craig's not got the huge stature required to carry it off, in personality or physique. I mean I can see Jackman standing in the doorway of a bar wit ha 5.56 minigun wasting the joint. I can't see Daniel Craig doing that ;)
I also agree Steven Segal's got the arrogant swagger and the physique. He's also remarkably good at spouting intelligent psychobabble without looking a total douche. That's definitely gotta be useful.

I already mentioned on the Live Action Adaptation thread I think Keanu Reeves would make a good Togusa. Floppy haired, straight faced and a bit naive sounding. Perfect. He's also good at getting really angry, which is something Togusa is also prone to :P. Tonks, I know you don't like his acting, but in the right film he's alright, he's just hammy to the extreme in a lot of films because the scripts didn't suit him at all and the plots sucked, and well the films were mostly just crappy. He's not a very flexible actor, but in the right role he is okay. I think Togusa would suit him more or less. And for those who think I'm spouting crap because The Matrix was written around him, he wasn't actually the Wachowski Bro's first choice for the part :P

Aramaki you've gotta pick either Patrick Stewart or Sir Ian McEllen. I'd go for Stewart but I'm baised, I think he's a god among men as far as acting goes (so's Sir Ian but he wasn't in Star Trek ;);))

There *is* a place for Orlando Bloom. Proto. He's even good at doing the tall with long white hair stunt ;). Seriously though, as Legolas he had that look of being almost too perfect to be right, which is perfect for a bioroid.

The Major? Complete and utter blank. What I do know is Carrie-Anne Moss hasn't got the stature, or the physical presence, and I think she's actually a lousy actor ;) There's also a danger she'll break something doing the wire work. She did in both Matrix production shoots.
I think you'd have exactly the same problem trying to find someone to play Deunan in Appleseed (not that I'm encouraging anyone to adapt that to live action!). Shirow's female lead characters are all larger than life.
I can't even think of a female lead I've seen in a film that was any good recently, apart from Nat Portman. I like her, and she's very talented, but she's too short to play Motoko ;)
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Hugh Jackman is to small.....Batau is a big man
If he could act and they did a voice over I would say Dolf Lundgren. Hes big and has the right features....but sadly no talent :cry:
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.