in the shell Forum Index in the shell
Discussions about the many incarnations of Ghost in the Shell, philosophy and more!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Motoko is the main character.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    in the shell Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
marto_motoko



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Posts: 536
Location: Ni'ihama

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Why Motoko is the main character. Reply with quote

Please, let us indulge in this wondrous conversation! Why is she the main?

Even in Innocence, where the whole scene was on Batou, and somewhat Togusa, the focus somehow made Motoko loom over the movie like the guardian angel that she was.

When we first saw motoko in motion, was her assassinating a diplomat by blowing his head into pieces, then vanishing in the blink of an eye. She beautifully leapt down the building, and then did something so grotesque in such an inhuman, and rather ruthless manner, that automatically the viewer is thrust into such immense admiration for the complex conundrum that her personality and actions prove to be.


In MMI, even, where she only appears at the near-very-end of the manga, she was still such a prevalent force, the story still working its way around her. How does she manage to do that? What is it that truly sparks her brighter than the rest? Why do we love her so much?

Smile Lets hear it!


mm
_________________

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostLine



Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 638
Location: "the net is vast and infinite..."

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel because it is our nature to persue that which we cannot have....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elmo_Redux



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 154
Location: CLASSIFIED

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I've questioned why she was the main character before, mainly in innocence which could have quite easily have been carried entirely by batou as main protagonist without so much influence from Motoko, maybe even limiting her appearance to a minor cameo.

I think it's because she's something of a force of nature, with her actions mostly being guided by lofty moral imperatives, which from a practical standpoint are the dictate of pure reason, but on a more personal level can be seen as the divine(or higher purpose) whispering through her ghost. This when contrasted with the more earthly or human motivations and justifications of the other characters makes her viewpoint a more viable way of dealing with the large social changes that make up most of the storylines in the Ghost in the Shell universe.

This also relates to the mix of her graceful agility and grotesque actions, for such a character moved by this sort of motivations to work and be believable they have to be written as something more than human, something both magnificent and monstrous at the same time - or else they simply won't be believable as a human character with normal human concerns.
_________________
[IWNJACTWHSLMFAM]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Elmo_Redux



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 154
Location: CLASSIFIED

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha moral imperatives? I'm getting so pretentious in my old age, everyone knows she's the most important character because she's hawt. Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Epiphany



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 260
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that she was developed first. then came everything else
_________________
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StuckInTheShell



Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epiphany wrote:
I would imagine that she was developed first. then came everything else


I think you are right. Similar to Appleseed Masamune Shirow wanted to create a strong female lead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marto_motoko



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Posts: 536
Location: Ni'ihama

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree.

I personally like to think that the whole world was created, and motoko was the anti-parallel that summarized it all into one single being that not only represents that world, but also questions it and counters it.
_________________

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alfonso2501



Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 24
Location: Bklyn, NY/ Winchester, VA

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Motoko is the main character? Quite simply, because she rocks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marto_motoko



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Posts: 536
Location: Ni'ihama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfonso2501 wrote:
Why Motoko is the main character? Quite simply, because she rocks!


She honestly does.

I hope to see her in something new sometime soon. The live-action film would even be good, as long as I watch it on mute.


mm
_________________

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Epiphany



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 260
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marto_motoko wrote:
as long as I watch it on mute.


mm


Put the japanese sound track for SSS on and watch the live action one Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marto_motoko



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Posts: 536
Location: Ni'ihama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epiphany wrote:
marto_motoko wrote:
as long as I watch it on mute.


mm


Put the japanese sound track for SSS on and watch the live action one Laughing Laughing Laughing


That one had great music, but also some overly dramatic pieces that I didn't care for.


mm
_________________

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    in the shell Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group