Robotic Armed Suits

Discuss the technology of any incarnation of Ghost in the Shell
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Robotic Armed Suits

Post by Saito »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLS9V_-StM4

Now *that* looks rather cool. With another 10 years that kind of technology will become untethered and man portable. Put a sturdy armour shell and the capacity to lift 2 chainguns and ammo and you have one hell of a devastating infantry weapon.

It could also become useful for materials handling, hazardous environment work and the like. Think about 'Aliens' and those lifters they had, the were basically humanoid fork trucks. Really cool stuff.
Last edited by Saito on Sun May 25, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

COOOOOOOOOOOL!!
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Yes, it is, and yet again something in GitS comes back to haunt us :) I'm sure everyone remembers the guy in the armed suit in SAC1 that nearly tore the Major apart. That's the sort of thing the US military are aiming at, eventually. You'll be unsurprised to know a large slice of the funding it coming from DARPA, the US military research agency.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I like how it responds to human movement in kind. It seems to reinforce and react to the the operator's motions, and not overplaying, jerking the operator around...
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

seen alot of these before, I know there's a video somewhere with the German Army messing around with something similar a few years back, but I've never seen one that was so smooth before though. I guess it's making the leap from the user's movements controlling the movements of the mechanical arm to the user's movements going with the movements of the mechanical arm. Shiny toy. :)
Saito

Post by Saito »

Stuff like this always makes me want a Landmate :P
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Saito wrote:Stuff like this always makes me want a Landmate :P
Discussions about landmates always bring tears to my eye. How much do you think a GUGES would go for??

More landmates I googleized....
http://landmate.googlepages.com/landmat ... s-full.jpg

http://landmate.googlepages.com/landmat ... e-full.jpg

http://wiki.rpg.net/images/4/4a/Motivator-landmate.jpg
Saito

Post by Saito »

Rawr, cool. Actually the Armed Suit in that hotel scene in SAC 1 bears a startling resemblance to a slow, lumbering Landmate. I'm sure that was just a coincidence though, right? ;)

Those pictures are nice, I really think landmates are a cool concept. Like most tech geeks I was all like "I want one!" when I watched Appleseed :).

Is it purely coincidental that the 3 pictures you posted all have pretty girls draped over them? The top one of the 3 is especially alluring, although I'm not sure how effective running into battle in a landmate dressed in a swimsuit would be, but hey it is Manga, it's gotta have some fan service! ;)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Hahaha! Believe it or not, it was coincidential...or Freudian....
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Rather impressive!

But uuh...in the last day and a half this is the only single topic anyone's posted anything in? O_o
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Saito

Post by Saito »

Yeh? Well at least I'm doing my bit to stimulate discussion :P
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Here is the latest in robotic arms:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/05/d ... s-rob.html
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Saito

Post by Saito »

THYREN wrote:Here is the latest in robotic arms:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/05/d ... s-rob.html
Incredible. That's so awesome.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Saito wrote:Incredible. That's so awesome.
It is. And I am actually surprised (disappointed? :roll: ) it's being developped in the US and not in Japan.
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Saito

Post by Saito »

THYREN wrote: It is. And I am actually surprised (disappointed? :roll: ) it's being developped in the US and not in Japan.
The Japanese are, for all their greatness, not pioneers. What the Japanese are greatest at is taking an existing idea and making it work to absolute perfection. America first mass produced cars, but the people who do it best are the Japanese. The Motorcycle was invented inthe Europe, but the Japanese make the best performing and most reliable motorcycles in the world right from scooters up to 200bhp sports bikes.

I am a massive motorcycle racing fan, and it's pretty hard to be one without noticing the Japanese at work. The MotoGP championship is basically Formula 1 for bikes, no holes barred prototype performance motorcycle racing. I'll use this as a case study. You have prior permission to call me a nerd. I know I am :P

The Honda 'factory' team is staffed mostly by Japanese engineers, managers and mechanics. It's heavily controlled by HRC (Honda Racing Corporation). They have in recent years performed very poorly. The fact they won the championship in 2006 was down to Nicky Hayden riding a bike that didn't always want to work to the absolute limit race after race, and in fact he only won 2 races all season. Some spanish staff are employed, and the riders are American and Spanish respectively, with a smattering of other trusted non-Japanese personel, but not many. The Japanese hold all the keys and make a most of the decisions. Bikes are designed at HRC in Japan based on test data, and tested by a Japanese rider before being used in race conditions. The whole thing is too Japanese...

Yamaha's factory team is staffed by a mix of european and Japanese staff, it's overseen jointly by British manager Lyn Jarvis and Japanese executive Masao Furusawa (both of whom I have enormous respect for). Yamaha have won the Championship with Valentino Rossi (Italian) and his crew chief and mentor Jeremy Burgess (an Aussie) and this team setup twice (2004 and 2005) , and this season after 2 patchy seasons they look stronger than ever, grabbing all 3 podium positions at the last race in France, and having a rider on every podium so far this season. They essentially have the perfect mix and match combination of Japanese and non-Japanese staff, so when the Japanese guys run out of ideas the other guys can come up with some weird and wonderful suggestions.

Ducati are almost entirely Italian (as you'd expect) and like most things that italians do they are great when it all goes well and not very great when it all falls apart. With very few Japanese staff (they have some from tyre supplier Bridgestone, and no others for the most part) they tend to be very erratic. Last season they were the top dog, blowing away everyone else and winning the championship by a mile. This season with the same lead rider, Casey Stoner (don't laugh that really is his surname, and he's an Aussie, of course), they are struggling like hell.

So what's my point?

The Japanese cannot create great things on their own. They need some off-the-wall, backwards thinking folk to contribute some much-needed flare into the process. If you look at everything the Japanese excel at you'll probably find someone else did it first, but the Japanese did ti better.

That's my 2 cents/pence/yen worth.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...