Quoets

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

ryann

Quoets

Post by ryann »

So, taking the advice of others. Heres a place to post quotes or dialogues you like, want to discuss about, or anything else to that sort.

"A pure journalist, so frustrated by all kinds of short coming in this social systen chooses to be silent" - Motoko

Pretty much the whole dialogue between Aoi and Motoko, I like.
with refrences of J.D Salinger, Chigo Berdove( I think is a movie director), Frederrick James( I do not know who he is), and Osawa Masachi( I also do not know who he is).

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful. -John Constable

Have Fun :D
Peace just means nothing fun ever happends.
AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

Pretty much the whole dialogue between Aoi and Motoko, I like.
with refrences of J.D Salinger, Chigo Berdove( I think is a movie director), Frederrick James( I do not know who he is), and Osawa Masachi( I also do not know who he is).
Masachi Ohsawa is a Japanese comparative sociologist who's done a lot of work on contemporary crowd behavior, particularly in terms of cults, nationalism, fandom, etc.; Fredric Jameson is a Marxist critic who's done literary criticism and theoretical writing on science fiction, late-stage capitalism, globalization, and postmodernity (Jameson's Postmodernism, or, The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism is a classic of its kind); and Dziga Vertov was a Soviet avant-garde filmmaker and theorist who is best known for his film Man With a Movie Camera (great movie, btw) and his writings on and experiments with kino pravda ("filmed truth"-- the idea of camera as documenting device whose recorded images capture life's fragments and of non-narrative film as something which gives rise to a fuller, better understanding of reality). Vertov developed the whole "camera-eye" or "camera-as-eye" notion and influenced a lot of thinking about and work with documentary and news footage; you can find a good selection of his writings in Kino-Eye : The Writings of Dziga Vertov, which is in print.
Last edited by AlphonseVanWorden on Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
ryann

Post by ryann »

Wow...you know your stuff. Thanks for that...their work sounds most interesting, I'll have to look in to them.
ryann

Post by ryann »

Do you know where in can pick up any of their works?
AlphonseVanWorden

Jameson's stuff is available at many bookstores; you can usually find it shelved among either the literary criticism or philosophy. Vertov's Man With a Movie Camera was restored and reissued by Image Entertainment a few years back, and as I said, Kino-Eye, a collection of his selected writings, is in print.

If you can't find copies in your library or local stores, you might want to try Amazon or some similar site.

If you want to sample Jameson, let me recommend the following online texts:

Fredric Jameson, “Globalization and Political Strategy”: http://www.newleftreview.net/NLR23803.shtml

Frederic Jameson, "The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism" (one of the more famous/infamous passages from Postmodernism, or, The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism):
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~DRBR/JAMESON/jameson.html

Ohsawa is a little harder to find. You might want to try this link (the text is in PDF, so you'll need Adobe to read the piece):

Masachi Ohsawa, “The Aum Sect: Religion and Terrorism”:
http://www.socialcapital-foundation.org ... Ohsawa.htm
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
AlphonseVanWorden

Oh, back to topic.. cool quotations.

Some quotations which I've used or to which I've alluded in recent offline conversations:

Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher:
"Now you can apply yourself voluntarily to reading and learning, but you cannot really apply yourself to thinking: thinking has to be kindled, as a fire is by a draught, and kept going by some kind of interest in its object, which may be an objective interest or merely a subjective one. The latter is possible only with things that affect us personally, the former only to those heads who think by nature, to whom thinking is as natural as breathing, and these are very rare. That is why most scholars do so little of it."

Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor:
"Consider, for example, the times of Vespasian. Thou wilt see all these
things, people marrying, bringing up children, sick, dying, warring,
feasting, trafficking, cultivating the ground, flattering, obstinately
arrogant, suspecting, plotting, wishing for some to die, grumbling
about the present, loving, heaping up treasure, desiring consulship,
kingly power. Well then, that life of these people no longer exists
at all. Again, remove to the times of Trajan. Again, all is the same.
Their life too is gone. In like manner view also the other epochs
of time and of whole nations, and see how many after great efforts
soon fell and were resolved into the elements. But chiefly thou shouldst
think of those whom thou hast thyself known distracting themselves
about idle things, neglecting to do what was in accordance with their
proper constitution, and to hold firmly to this and to be content
with it. And herein it is necessary to remember that the attention
given to everything has its proper value and proportion. For thus
thou wilt not be dissatisfied, if thou appliest thyself to smaller
matters no further than is fit."

Santideva, Buddhist sage:
"The person who realizes that hatred is an enemy, since it creates such sufferings as these, and who persistently strikes it down [from his or her thoughts], is happy in this world and the next."

Robert Desnos, French Surrealist poet:
"I have dreamed of you so much that you are no longer real.
Is there still time for me to reach your breathing body, to kiss your mouth and make your dear voice come alive again?
I have dreamed of you so much that my arms, grown used to being crossed on my chest as I hugged your shadow, would perhaps not bend to the shape of your body.
For faced with the real form of what has haunted me and governed me for so many days and years, I would surely become a shadow."

X, L.A. band:
"True love is the Devil's crowbar."

:lol:
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i had come across this today,
so it was by coicidence that this thread was started.

"the universe is made of stories, not atoms." muriel rukeyser

also, "poets live on metaphor, and are vastly underrated in logic." by same person. this seems to fit me well.
Last edited by GhostLine on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - george 'dubya' bush, he's either a dangerous godhead puppet of the uber-rich or the world's greatest comedian.. :P

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets" - Voltaire

"Yesterday We Obeyed Kings And Bent Our Necks To Emperors. Today We Kneel Only To Truth." - Kahlil Gibran

"The measure of the state's success is that the word anarchy frightens people, while the word state does not." - Joseph Sobran

"Mastering others requires force; Mastering the self requires enlightenment." - Lao Tzu

"All the fish needs to do is get lost in the water.
All man needs to do is get lost in the Tao." - Lao Tzu

"He who trains his tongue to quote the learned sages, will be known far and wide as a smart ass." - Howard Kandel :P :wink:
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
AlphonseVanWorden

he's either a dangerous godhead puppet of the uber-rich or the world's greatest comedian..
Do you think these two things are mutually exclusive? :lol: :P
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

:lol: :lol: probably not.. I can say what I like about Dubya but at least he's quotable. You'd think such a self-serving administration would have found themselves a better mouthpiece though and yet he gets voted for so i guess he's effective somehow..

said it once and I'll say it again..

..pfft americans :roll:
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I forgot, Elmo... Where are you from?

I used to have lots of lofty quotes from philosophers. But I can't say that any one piece of wisdom meant more to me than another at the moment... So I've hung around with fun quotes in my head for while now instead.

How about, a fun one from Chrono Trigger:

"Men, women; what's the difference? Power is beauty; and I've got it all!"
-Mayonai/Flea, in response to Marle being shocked to learn that "she" is really a very beautiful-looking "he".

Or one from a song:

"'Teenage winter's coming down... Teenage winter throws a gown over everything I've ever known, and every little dream... Forever..."
-St. Etienne's "Teenage Winter", a rather melancholic song about growing old, with a sad warmth for all the people doing so as they hold on to their various small but treasured outdated things and sentiments.

Okay, so I'm watering the academic conversations down.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Elmo is from the UK, home in the suffolk countryside but spends alot of time in london/edinburgh/belfast. :)

ahem.. YAY Chrono Trigger!!

my favourite ever quote(below) is a surfing one so hardly anyone will understand the context..

"you should have been here yesterday" - mp

and from the great cultural work 'finding nemo';

"Oh, I saw the whole thing, dude! First, you were like, whoa! And then we were like, WHOA! And then you were like, whoa." - Crush the turtle
AlphonseVanWorden

"We're right, Petrie! This passage was recently used by Fu-Manchu!"-- Nayland Smith, in Sax Rohmer's The Hand of Fu-Manchu (I tend to quote this line when someone makes a pretty obvious and self-evident statement.)

"I bear you no malice for your ancient enmity, and even now I am conducting an experiment designed to convert you from your misunderstanding, and to adjust your perspective."-- Fu-Manchu, in Sax Rohmer's The Return of Dr. Fu-Manchu

"The first time I saw you/Standing in the street,/You were so cool/You could've put out Vietnam."-- The Pogues, "Haunted"

"It was his story against mine, but of course, I told my story better."-- Dixon Steele (Humphrey Bogart), in Nicholas Ray's In a Lonely Place

"Go away and come back ten years ago."-- Altar Keane (Marlene Dietrich) to Vern (Arthur Kennedy), who's several years younger than she is, in Fritz Lang's Rancho Notorious

"No ups and downs, my pretty,/ A mermaid, not a punk;/ A drunkard is a dead man,/ And all dead men are drunk." -- W.B. Yeats, "A Drunken Man's Praise of Sobriety"

"Better sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian."-- Ishmael, in Herman Melville's Moby Dick

"Just why Mr. Frodo was selling his beautiful hole was even more debatable than the price. A few held the theory-- supported by the nods and hints of Mr. Baggins himself-- that Frodo's money was running out..."-- J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

:lol: lol, did you mean there to be innuendo in that last one or not? there seems to be innuendo wherever I look in lord of the rings.. :oops:

"No, no the big one, big one!" - Merry, LotR

"You will taste man flesh!" - Saruman, LotR

"Arwen, ride hard. Don’t look back!" - Aragorn, LotR

"Take it Gandalf! Take it!"
"No Frodo no." - LotR

"Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall." - Strider LotR

"It is a strange fate we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing... such a little thing." - Boromir, LotR

"Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!" - Goblin no.3, LotR

disclaimer: That first paragraph and the quotes are in no way connected, honest ..and I didn't even mention rings or dwarf tossing.. :P

..i may have crossed the line, if scary forum mod Jeni comes into this post I'll be in mexico. :wink:
secondhandevil

Oooh ! I Love these.

Post by secondhandevil »

Okay you can pretty much see where my heads at after these.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

Law,without force,is impotent

-Pascal

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."

- Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks."

- Col. William O. Darby

"We aren't going to try to train you, we're going to try to kill you."

- Soldier I, SAS

"Death is natures way of telling you you've failed SAS selection."

-Unknown

"It's a question of mind over matter, I don't mind and you don't F_ing matter"

- The Elite, article on Royal Marine Commandos boot camp.

We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem.

- Chesty Puller, USMC

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer.

f you're not gonna pull the trigger, don't point the gun."

- James Baker

Boys will be boys.- Ronald Regan (Response to the Israeli bombing of an Iraqi nuclear reactor). :roll:

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
- General George Patton Jr

"There's no beer, no prostitutes and people are shooting at us. It's more like Portsmouth" - an unnamed soldier on Sky News refutes claims that Iraqi city Umm Qasr is 'like Southampton'.

War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.-William Tecumseh Sherman

"Come on you sons of b****s! Do you want to live forever?"
Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, 4 june 1918.

"Retreat, Hell! We just got here!" Captain Lloyd Williams 1 June ,1918.

How do you plan on dealing with any guards you encounter ?

We plan to take them out.

What do you mean ? Are you going to shoot them in the shoulder or ?

We're going to shoot them between the eyes. Twice. -Charles Beckwith to Warren Christopher while briefing President Carter prior to Operation Eagle Claw,1981.

Life is like a box of chocolates... A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. - Cigarette Smoking Man,The X files.
I used to be sane,I'm better now.