season 3?

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

MsDia

Post by MsDia »

Hopefully. Especially, as you guys said, since the end of SSS leaves space for development. She's back and she means business. And hopefully Batou will get some resolution. On the other hand the tension between them keeps things interesting.

And if they make a movie following Innocence I'd definitely see it.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

MsDia wrote:Hopefully. Especially, as you guys said, since the end of SSS leaves space for development. She's back and she means business. And hopefully Batou will get some resolution. On the other hand the tension between them keeps things interesting.

And if they make a movie following Innocence I'd definitely see it.
I agree. I bang my head everytime I watch SSS. Something about the Tachi's in the background of the last scene makes me feel like they know something I don't :evil:

Innocence is a way cool movie. I would love to see a Innocence 2.
Or another GITS Movie that would tie everuything together
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

IMHO feature-lengths don't allow for the complex plot development that the GiGs do in SAC, I'd prefer another 26-episode series with a wandering plot line than another film ala SSS. SSS was pretty good but it felt too shallow, and brief.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Since SSS, Kamiyama worked on Seirei no Moribito (nice series btw :wink: ) and I think there could be more seasons (there are a lot of books...) so a new SAC season could happen, but it would probably be with another director :roll:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

That's not necessarily *such* a bad thing. A new director would bring another slant on the ideas of GiTS. Each new director is adding interest and intrigue to it :)

I understand what you mean though, at the same time it also wouldn't be the same SAC we know and love.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Just in case, I checked Production IG`s website to see what coming out in 2008, but there's no mention of GitS stuff yet: :cry:

http://www.productionig.com/contents/works/
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

THYREN wrote:Just in case, I checked Production IG`s website to see what coming out in 2008, but there's no mention of GitS stuff yet: :cry:
I know...bummer! However, it looks like they are working with Masamune Shirow on another project: Real Drive http://www.ntv.co.jp/RD/
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

GhostLine wrote:
THYREN wrote:Just in case, I checked Production IG`s website to see what coming out in 2008, but there's no mention of GitS stuff yet: :cry:
I know...bummer! However, it looks like they are working with Masamune Shirow on another project: Real Drive http://www.ntv.co.jp/RD/
I think that looks extremely interesting. Albeit, not anything even close to GitS, but still very interesting.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

MOAR GITS :evil: :evil: :evil: ...... Please? :cry:
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

holdenmcclure wrote:MOAR GITS :evil: :evil: :evil: ...... Please? :cry:
Er ok? The point of your post was to respond to what exactly?
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Nothing.. I was just expressing my desire for a new season. Sorry if it was off topic but I had to vent it somewhere :D .
Dark Metallurgist

Post by Dark Metallurgist »

The thing about GitS is that it is not a constant franchise. It really rears its head and when it does it is for something big and well developed. The fact that it is not on constantly is a way that GitS will survive because people will always anticipate it rather than grow tired of it and as the years slide by it will grow, it will change and it will adapt to society's demands and how the director best feels to convey the story, GitS has effectively become a cultural reflection of some of it very own and more colourful entity's.

It has adopted a "laughing man" stance of sorts.

So I would be surprised if there is no longer any GitS, even if it is a decade or two from now when were having episodes downloaded directly from the net, there will be more, I'm sure of it. And then there the who Spielberg rumour.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Well, there is sadly the live-action film in development by Steven Spielberg, but I'm guessing actual development of the project isn't going to be solidly worked on at least until the end of 2008, or early 2009.

As Dark Metallurgist said, gits is best kept as something that goes away for a while, and comes back to rear its rather cryptic at times, yet beautifully insightful and futuristic head every once in a while. It's diverse, with three very expanceful universes, and many different characters, perspectives, art directions, medias, and audio-visual qualities to appeal to different people. Also, it's strange that the series is so popular, considering the fact that the high-intellect end of the bargain for sure alienates a lot of people that just simply cannot grasp, nor think upon the themes and setting present. That generally tends to weave away the people that just don't have an understanding, and can't really deviate and try to link some things for themselves.

I don't know about others, but one of my favourite parts of the GitS universe, actually turned out to be the novels.

After the Long Goodbye in specific was a very well expressed story, with much internal mental setting, and a lot was left to the imagination. It was strange, but I liked the fact that the book depended on its syntax and diction to create an atmosphere, rather than sheer description and imagery. It was nice to see a rather perplexed atmosphere where the depth of the character was based on something as obscure as their feelings, rather than definite articles.

I would gladly welcome more of that. Sadly, I think the only way that that would ever happen would be if Oshii was to make another movie. His part of the Ghost in the Shell universe remains the high peak in my opinion. His influence in GitS 2nd GiG is still probably the reason why that season seemed to reach out better to me, and had a stronger impact than the first. Even the art direction for the environments seemed influenced by his work more-so than season one.

marto
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Chesire Cat

Post by Chesire Cat »

A wide gap between the creation of new material is to be expected (if there is to be a next season). Afterall, GITS wouldn't be the masterpiece it is if it could just so eaisly be chucked out of studios every now and then for a new season. Quality is keeping this franchise head and shoulders above many others.

I think a third season would be perfect. I liked Solid State Society too, but I just didn't think it was the perfect way to close out the Stand Alone Complex series indefinitely. It was good, but not great in my opinion. With the prospect of this live action adaptation looming over our heads though, I don't know how likely it is that they do produce a third season any time soon. Not until after the live film at least. (Even though I would easily take a 3rd season over a live aciton adaptation ANY DAY :D )
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I think right now Season 3 will pretty much depend on how well Spielbergs movie does. :?
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.