2nd gig episode: Red Data

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

cowboyfunk22

2nd gig episode: Red Data

Post by cowboyfunk22 »

Wow, interesting episode. I'm glad this kinda answered my question (or at least told me that i was right to question) how Kuze could get all the refugees' cyberselves to move in the same direction to the central hub thing. I figured that refugees wouldn't normally have cyber brains, so i didn't get the whole thing. Apparently it wasn't through the net.

Either way, i think this episode showed a lot of what sexuality is like in a cyberized/cyborg world. Just like the first manga and many SAC episodes which show blurred gender lines, ages lines are blurred to. I felt it was very awkward when Motoko walked around without a shirt on around what seemed to be a 15 year old boy and then got in bed with him. She then preceded to offer him sex, which was startling to say the least.

However its not so odd if you think about GITS world. Motoko could easily be his age. A 15 year old's mind in a 30 year olds body is just as probable as a 80 year old in a relatively young looking body (as had been seen in the first season). Thus age lines are blurred all over. This is echoed in a 15 year old making deals with yakuza over large quantities of drugs.

I liked Motoko's outfit, and plantinum card. Obviously a sections 9 job comes with more perks than just top prostetic bodys.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I also found this episode very interesting, we get a further insight in how Kuze got the refugees to the central hub. I also liked that the outfit that she was wearing, the Platinum credit card, she must get a big paycheck from the Section 9 budget.

The scene in the reception area was hilarious when she tried to pretend that she was his mother, this is something that I would never expect to see that and the scene in the hotel room was on the creepy side.
douyang

Post by douyang »

I thought canon said that Motoko was in her mid 30's, with a subjective age of 25 or so. And the kid still has his organic body, and seems a little younger than 15 to me.

You make a interesting point about the kid engaging "adult" undertakings such as big drug deals with local mobsters, though. Could the writers be making a troubling statement about youth "growing up too fast" at younger and younger ages?
Last edited by douyang on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Motoko's age is in her thirties while her prosthetic body is that of a woman in her late twenties.
cowboyfunk22

Post by cowboyfunk22 »

Yeah, i figured she was in her thirties just because of the timelines and all. But without that knowledge a person with her body could be his age. It would create a weird, ageless society in a way.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

I don't think there is any kind of canon mention of Motoko's age, anywhere. All we know that she was about six years old, in SAC, when she had the plane accident and somewhere between that and age of eight was cyberized. Personally I find late twenties and prodigy history somewhat more credible - mostly because I'm trying to push the prosthetic bodies as far in the future, as possible, in the given timeline.
And the kid still has his organic body, and seems a little younger than 15 to me.

I think that 15 is about right, all things considered - I don't think that he could have planned all that much younger, even if Kuze offered the basic ideas. As for the whole "child molesting" angle, to me it was pretty obvious that Motoko's suggestion was a joke. As for the nudity, it's not that big deal, all around the world. While sleeping half-naked in the same bed with an underage person does undoubtedly feel rather strange in Taiwan, as well (remember the register lady's look), it isn't neccesarily an offense, in itself.
You make a interesting point about the kid engaging "adult" undertakings such as big drug deals with local mobsters, though. Could the writers be making a troubling statement about youth "growing up too fast" at younger and younger ages?

I think it was more a glimpse to the lives that many kids lead in the third world countries. Most likely they are war-orphans who have no choice, but to make it on their own - it's not that they grow up too fast, but that they have no choice. They certainly seem more well-off than your average street urchin.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
miki-chan

Post by miki-chan »

And the kid still has his organic body, and seems a little younger than 15 to me.
Way younger than 15 IMHO, with that voice, body size--heck, doubt he's even hit puberty yet. I know that Motoko believes in letting it all hang out, and the Japanese tend to be mellower about such things than us Puritanical Americans, but this ep was way too ecchi for me... :?
"Smoke and idiots love high places."--Batou
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

miki-chan wrote: Way younger than 15 IMHO, with that voice, body size--heck, doubt he's even hit puberty yet.

Strange...To me he looks an obvious teenager and keeps his act so well together, that I prefer to think him as late teen as possible. He's not exactly large stature, but a preteen would be quite a bit smaller. In size, appearance and bit of an attitude he reminds me most of the kids in Akira, who were at the age of 15, by canon.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

no repeat or Red Data

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Question for anyone who may know,
Doesnt Adult Swim repeat the sat. shows on thurs? They didnt last night. I wonder if they got a lot of content complaints and pulled Red Data? Or have they changed the sched?
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Adult Swim repeats the SAC 2nd Gig episodes at 12:30am on early Sunday morning.
CanisD

Post by CanisD »

They restarted the series with the airings on Wednesday night/Thursday morning instead of repeating the weekend episodes which are first runs. Cash Eye was this week's episode. With the new schedule, adding an extra half hour to Adult Swim, it airs at 12:30am and 4:00am Thursday and Sunday mornings.
"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

CanisD thanks for notifying us, I didn't know until you posted that AS has restarted the series on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Thanks, I hoped it was something like that, and it didnt get pulled.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Peanut Echo

Post by Peanut Echo »

Hi all.

Walking around half naked in front of minor did seem kinda wierd to me but the Major has always seemed more comfortable in her prosthetic body than the people around her in their natural bodies. Besides, I think she was just testing the kid to see what he would say to her offer. Just MHO.

Best!
:-)